getting started reloading...tips on presses, etc.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bunyan

getting started reloading...tips on presses, etc.

Post by bunyan »

So thanks to this forum I've been seriously been thinking about starting to reload this winter and asking santa for a press and the related equipment to get the ball rolling. I'm familiar with the different brands out there like Lyman, Lee, RBSS, etc. But I don't know much about their reputations. I don't see myself producing huge volumes of ammo at a time. I'm more interested in the relaxing pace of taking my time with this, so I'm interested in a quality single stage press that will last me and hold up over the years. I'm definitely interested in reloading cast bullets once I know what I'm doing. Are there any specific presses to look for? Any to avoid? I know there are kits out there, but my experience with fly tying is that often the kits are of mediocre quality and you end up upgrading anyway. And I guess that's what I'm looking forward to...that same satisfaction with putting together a bullet and load myself to use that I find with catching fish on a fly I tied (and maybe even dreamed up) myself! Thanks!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: getting started reloading...tips on presses, etc.

Post by HEAD0001 »

Buy the best single stage press you can afford. For instance, a Rock Chucker or a Lyman Orange Crush. Or any of the other top brand single stage presses.

If you buy a good quality single stage press it will easily last your lifetime. And the lifetime of whoever you leave it to. And they will thank you.

Even the guys who have the advanced progressive presses will still use a single stage press every once in awhile. Just an opinion.

Also if you don't have any tools so far. The Rock Chucker loading kit is a very good deal. You will use every single item in that kit. Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I agree 100% with Tom. Buy the best you can buy. One other comment by a heavier duty press than you think you'll need and you'll never over tax it.

For instance if your gonna shoot handgun ammo mostly the big presses like the Rock Chucker are great. With proper care you'll never wear the thing out.

Dies are mostly good, but some are better than others. I've got: RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Pacific, Luger American and Lee. Of these the only ones I have a complaint about is the Lee. And that isn't about the die itself, but about the o-ring lock ring. I keep thinking I should replace the lock rings with real ones but I almost never use the Lee dies so I don't.

If you have nothing right now, you might consider one of the starter kits such as the one RCBS puts out. It comes with press, scale, loading manual, and some other goodies. From there you can go any way you need to go.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Started with Rock chucker and Lee Hand Primer. Would do about 200 rds over an evening.
Deprime, resize, Prime, powder, bullet, if lube on the cases, then clean cases to remove the lube.

Moved up to Dillon 550B, progressive press. About 30 minutes to change setup if different caliber from the last time. About 1 hr after that about +400 rds loaded. Once you get going, you can fly through the empties.

Do not forget about a tumbler to clean the empties. Helps find the bad cases (split necks, etc)

I still have the single stage. Both types will do the job. Just have to decide how much loading you will do and how much time you are willing to set aside to do the job.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Keep your eyes open at Gunshops as well....you'll see good used ones for sale there, sometimes at a reduced price.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

check this thread and others like it,

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=34503

have a good time choosing and don't stress over it. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Of these the only ones I have a complaint about is the Lee. And that isn't about the die itself, but about the o-ring lock ring. I keep thinking I should replace the lock rings with real ones but I almost never use the Lee dies so I don't.
I use the Lee 4-hole 'turret' press, so just put the dies in a turret and leave them there (you just snap the whole turret in or out when you're changing to a different set of dies), so I don't mind the O-ring locks.
pokey wrote:Have a good time choosing and don't stress over it. :wink:
Best advice ever - ALL the stuff out there pretty much works well regardless of brand, and you get used to what you buy, learn its quirks, and can likely produce as good a reloads with pretty much any of the major brands stuff as someone who painstakingly agonized over each tool and component as to which brand was superior.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

RCBS press.Life time warranty no questions asked. Redding dies, best I've used, Lee factory taper crimp.Lots of reloading manuals. Keep good notes.My 2cents.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What Big Bear said about notes. Keep good records and label all your reloads. A couple of years down the road you won't be able to remember what you used. Buy as many manuals as you can find, they don't have to be new ones either. I have old Lyman and other manuals from long ago and they have valuable info in them. You do need one current manual though and a good scale. Sometimes I find stuff in yard sales and flea markets. I'll even buy powder from any of those sources that has been partly used even if I don't have a specific use for it right then.
Gun shows are a good source too but tend to be pricier than yard sales.
I use two Herters single stage presses and a Dillon 550B. The Herters presses use special shell holders but Buffalo Arms sells an adapter that allows the use of RCBS holders. I have an old Herters powder measure which I made my own threaded adjuster for and use it a lot and have a Lyman that I use for my black powder loads. I have a couple of different scales, neither is electronic but I would love to have one.
See, you don't have to spend a lot of money at gun shows and it gives you something else to look for besides guns.
Oh yeah, get an inertia bullet puller too, you'll need it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I like the Lee Turret and I think you will too! The turret makes it easy to set all your dies, up to 4 and then forget 'em. I buy multiple turret plates from midway on sale now for $8.99.

I went for the RCBS 502 scales , no regrets there.

My calipers are the standard dial type sent to me from a friend on Marlinowners. I think they sell for $25 when new. They work great for me.

My dies are mixed Lee and RCBS, I really like the Lee neck collet die for neck sizing only. Makes my brass last 3x as long as others.

I got a vibratory tumbler from Cabelas, seems to work fine.

I buy Lee length gauges and cutter tool all for under $20 then an additional $5 for each new cartridge I need to trim.

My powder trickler is RCBS and I like it.

I lube with my fingers with a small bottle of RCBS case lube costed $3.99

Along with a manual, primers, my already shot brass, powder and bullets, a fellow can reload his own!!

You can go Lee or go green or any of the manufactures, the majority is pleased with whichever they choose and I personally choose no side in any. .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Wow!! Thanks for all the great advice! After looking around a bit on the internet I've started reading up on reloading with hand tools like the lee loader, lyman accupress, etc. In fact, there's some good stuff right in the articles section of this very site! This may be a better place for me to start, financially and space wise. I can get a hand loader, a quality scale, and some other basics, then build from there. Any advice on these tools? For the ones that have interchangable dies I have to purchase different dies than the ones I'd use in a bench press, correct? I'm leaning towards a lee loader for my .30-30 to start. Can I reload cast bullets this way if I choose to? And I will definitely pick up some manuals and keep a log book of loads.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Like many i started out loading with one of those Lee handloaders and shot my best ever group with ammo reloaded for the 45/70 on it.... You will love it !
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here's a thought, Lyman, and likely others used to have "kits". The consisted of a press, dies for one caliber, shell holder and so one. The kit gave you all the tools you needed to get started. Take a look around the net and see if anyone is still offering them. This way, you can get started fairly easily, and add or change things as you get experience.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bunyan wrote:I can get a hand loader, a quality scale, and some other basics, then build from there. Any advice on these tools? For the ones that have interchangable dies I have to purchase different dies than the ones I'd use in a bench press, correct?
It depends on what you mean by "hand loader".

This $29.99 Lee 'hand loader' uses regular dies so you can use them in a bench-mounted press later on:

This $57.99 'hand loader'...
...uses special $59.99 Lyman dies that you can adapt to a regular press with a collar if desired.

This $24.99 Lee Classic 'hand loader' IS the 'dies', they won't fit in any presses though, but make a cheap and good-quality 'backup plan'

This is the $104 Lee Turret press several of us use, and it uses 'standard' dies, and standard shell-holders, so you could switch presses/dies later if you wanted...
This is the 'turret' that you can just install your dies in and leave them 'set' for your particular load:

This excellent $370 Dillon Square Deal press doesn't use 'standard' dies, so you'd still be restricted:

But this $430 Dillon RL-550B press uses standard dies, and an 'insert' (like the 'turret' above, only it doesn't move, the shell-holder plate (which is NOT standard on this press) does.

Got it all...? :wink:

Lots of choices, but the good news is, none of them are particularly BAD ones... 8)

(Note - Pictures above from MidwayUSA.com, DillonPrecision.com, and/or LeePrecision.com)

P.S. - if you get the Lee 'Hand Press' - I'd highly recommend THIS modification (hole drilled so primers fall out of the shaft during de-priming). I later enlarged the hole a bit. Otherwise your primers have to be dumped back out the hole in the shell-holder.

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

AJMD did a great job of showing the different options and giving you prices. Spent some time on this one.

I started with a el'cheapo Lee reloader press and it served me well. Now to be honest, I broke it. Stuck a .30-30 shell in a sizing die and snapped the press in half trying to get it out. No big deal, bought another one cheap. Due to house size and lack of a reloading room I switched a couple years ago and now do all my reloading with the Lee hand press (not the Lee Loader). With it I can reload 75-100 rounds an hour. I can do it at a table in my bedroom, at the kitchen table, at the shop or at the range if I wish. Personally, I find very few advantages to a bench mounted single stage press. But that's just me.

I will, as soon as room permits, be getting a Lee turret press. I really get tired of setting up and swapping dies and would bet a turret press is a great time saver. I will never reload enough to justify a more expensive press than that. Progressives are definitely out FOR ME.

I also use a Lee scale, have for years. But that's only cause I'm cheap. Every time I reload I wish I had a better scale. Don't skimp on this one.

Ditto for the Lee powder measure I use. Does it work? Yes. Do I wish I spent money on a steel one instead of the el'cheapo plastic one? Hell yes.

Dies? I've used Lee and RCBS. Had issues with both the Lee Dies but never with the RCBS's.

Now that all that's off my cheast, I think I'm gonna clean up the Security Six and spend the day toying with some .357 loads.
LK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BTW, the Lee "Pro Auto-Disk" measure is the one I really LIKE...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=348753

...and it is a whole different animal than the regular (yukky) "Auto-Disk" one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=537685

If you go with the Lee (and I really recommend it, whether or not you decide to mount it ON a bench-press, because the 'disk' apertures mean that your settings will be EXACTLY the same each time) get the "Double Disk Kit" - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=870920 - and you can 'dose' pretty much any powder down to +/- 0.1 grain increments.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

There are many threads in this forum (and others) on advice to beginning reloaders (I know...I was one a few years back). I won't try and duplicate the posts. However, I think part of one I wrote is applicable, though I doon't recall all the specifics. Basically, ask yourself a number of questions first about your objectives. You've started to address them in your initial post (I also tie flies so I understand your desire), but also consider things like...Are you shooting to save money? Shoot tighter groups? As a relaxing hobby? Etc? How much will you reload...200 rounds a month, 500, 1000, more? Do you have a dedicated space or will you need to "share" with another room? Will the supplies/equipment need to be packed up each time and stashed in a closet? If dedicated (like a garage) will it provide year-round access (e.g., heat)? How much time do you have to devote to it? How large is the time slot (e.g., many 15 minute slots or one 2-hour slot)? How many calibers are you reloading? Pistol or rifle? How serious are you about it (e.g., best components, maximum accuracy, etc.) vs. casual need? ETC?

For me, I started with the Lee hand press AJ showed, as I was only doing a few hundred rounds a month. Also, I didn't have a dedicated space, nor a lot of time. The Lee allowed me to break the process into steps of 10-15 minutes each (like deprime/resize, prime, bell the case, etc.) where I could do 50-100 cases/rounds then set them aside. I could do most of the steps in front of the TV, rather than locking myself away in the garage or basement. And so on...

Any of the options are good ones, as are the above suggestions. Look for used equipment, often a complete setup at 50% or more off. Start small and then grow. I still use the hand press, even though I have since acquired a single stage press which is permanently mounted. I didn't see me doing the volume to justify a $500 investment for the Dillon, and I also enjoy doing the process one step at a time rather then as a progressive setup. Also, I only load for a few calibers. So changing dies is no big deal, whereas for others, they have to do it a lot more often.

Start simple. I spent ~ $100 for my complete initial setup (Lee dippers, the hand press, the Lee 4-die set, Lee autoprime, funnel, scale, maybe 1-2 more little things) ... and I am still using all of those things 6 years later for 90% of my reloading.

Get a vibratory cleaner (a whole 'nother thread) and save yourself some time and grief.

Most of all...read up on it and take it slow.

Have fun!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Thanks again for all the tips. I have already adjusted my thinking in the 24 hours since I posted my original question. Alnitak, You brought up some great points for me to consider. As for my reasonings and goals for reloading, can I just say all of the above. I'm looking for accuracy, cost savings, and the pleasure of assembling my own loads. Space and time are definite issues for right now. I like the idea of doing a half hours' prep work her, a little more there. I think I"ll start out with a lee hand press, and a quality scale, and build from there! I'm sure there will be plenty more questions in the future, too!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

alnitak wrote:Basically, ask yourself a number of questions first about your objectives. You've started to address them in your initial post (I also tie flies so I understand your desire), but also consider things like...Are you shooting to save money? Shoot tighter groups? As a relaxing hobby? Etc? How much will you reload...200 rounds a month, 500, 1000, more? Do you have a dedicated space or will you need to "share" with another room? Will the supplies/equipment need to be packed up each time and stashed in a closet? If dedicated (like a garage) will it provide year-round access (e.g., heat)? How much time do you have to devote to it? How large is the time slot (e.g., many 15 minute slots or one 2-hour slot)? How many calibers are you reloading? Pistol or rifle? How serious are you about it (e.g., best components, maximum accuracy, etc.) vs. casual need? ETC?
Wow - an excellent set of questions/considerations. Even those of us who've been reloading quite awhile can sit back and re-think our setups in light of those factors.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

**Duplicate post**
Last edited by alnitak on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

bunyan wrote:Thanks again for all the tips. I have already adjusted my thinking in the 24 hours since I posted my original question. Alnitak, You brought up some great points for me to consider. As for my reasonings and goals for reloading, can I just say all of the above. I'm looking for accuracy, cost savings, and the pleasure of assembling my own loads. Space and time are definite issues for right now. I like the idea of doing a half hours' prep work her, a little more there. I think I"ll start out with a lee hand press, and a quality scale, and build from there! I'm sure there will be plenty more questions in the future, too!
I don't think you can go wrong with a hand press as the first item, for a few reasons (many of of these also apply to a single-stage press):
-- It allows you to "touch" each step of the process. As a beginner, I felt more in tune with the process and learned to pay attention to little details, such as the how the case is seated in the holder, the size/characteristics of powder(in the dippers or trickler), angle of the bullet in the case, etc.
-- I get more tactile pleasure out of the simpler reloading setups, like the hand press and hand-loader, than I do the turret types. (However, there is a certain pleasure in the "production mode" operation, too, and for volume, definitely the way to go.)
-- You can always use a hand press or the like, and will probably buy one eventually anyway. It can fit in your bug-out-bag, be taken to a hunting camp (much like tying flies on a portable c-clamp vice at the riverside), used at the range to quick test new loads, etc.
-- It reduces the complexity of the operation. A lot fewer things to concentrate on when you are starting out as compared with a turret or progressive press.
-- You don't have to worry about components breaking, not aligning, dropping more powder than it should, etc. (I'm more thinking of the add-on components, like primer seater, powder dropper, etc.. Having said that, RCBS, Dillion, etc. are high quality equipments, with generally a life-time warranty, and work well, so I'm not bashing them by any means.)
-- I think I've read that lot of competition shooters still load one at a time on a handpress, so accuracy can be excellent.
-- Depriming/sizing with one builds up your arm muscles. :D

Over time, as volume grows, you can add a permanent setup, and still use the standard dies that the handpress employs.

I know other posts have a list of initial components. Here's what I got to get started, and a "list price" for them (note: many of these component you can get for less used, or even free off of the PIF threads on reloading/gun forums). Also keep in mind that I started simply -- pistol caliber, straight-walled cases, .44 spl/mag so cases easy to deal with, etc. If you are looking to load for rifle with belled cases, large volumes, multiple calibers, etc. I will refer you to the experts on this forum, who are way out my league when it comes to reloading (so listen to them):

-- Lee handpress ($20)
-- Lee Autoprime ($15)
-- Lee dippers (I have since acquired another set; I use it to fill in the gaps by shaving down a dipper) ($12)
-- Plastic funnel ($3)
-- Digital scale/Balance beam scale ($20)
-- Lee Carbide Die set (4-piece with Lee FCD) ($35)

Other components that are optional (or you will need eventually, but can get away without at the start):
-- Lee case length sizer/trimmer ($5 for each caliber)
-- Primer pocket cleaning tool ($5)
-- Inertial bullet puller ($15)
-- Calipers ($15)
-- Lee deburring tool ($6)
-- Powder trickler ($15 -- used RCBS off ebay)
-- Vibratory cleaner and media ($55 kit -- Frankford Arsenal) [Note: I initially did not purchase this, and used every means under the sun to clean brass -- from soaking in vinegar/dish-washing detergent, to putting it in a pillow case in the washing machine, to steel wool, etc. Just save yourself some time and effort and spend the $55.)
-- Case lube (with straight-wall cases the carbide dies don't require lube) ($10)

Supplies:
-- Powder (about $20/lb)
-- Primers (about $35/1000)
-- Bullets (about $60-$80/500 cast, depending on caliber)
-- Brass (free)

Here's a short synopsis of the steps I go through:

1. Clean brass in vibratory cleaner
2. Sort by headstamp
3. Deprime and resize (can do 100+ in 10-15 minutes)
4. Clean primer pockets and length-trim if needed (I use the Lee hand tools for this; optional)
5. Throw back in the cleaner for another couple hours (optional)
6. Expand case (literally, 5 minutes to do 100+)
7. Seat primers with Lee Autoprime tool (about 100 in 15 minutes)
8. One at a time, charge with powder and seat bullet (about 50 in 20 minutes using Lee dippers; takes longer if I need to weigh each charge)
9. Use Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) once I have 50 done in step 8 (literally takes 3 minutes for 50)

As you can see, each step is only 10-15 minutes, so as I have time, I do a step or two (or one step for two or three boxes). Generally, I have several boxes at various stages, though I make sure that some of the steps are done together. For example, I make sure that the cases are expanded and primed as a single step (I don't like putting primed cases into the press and then exerting a force down into them, although I have done it and there is little or no risk as the primers are seated below the level of the case). I also do steps 8 & 9 together. I like step 8, charging and seating the bullet, as one step, rather than charging a bunch of cases first and then seating. That way keeps me from ever double-charging (or even forgetting to charge) a case. I don't like having a tray full of cases with powder in them sitting there. and the risk of me being clumsy and dropping something or knocking something over, spilling the cases and having to clean up and start over. I also like the added flexibility of being able to stop when you want (if you charge a tray-full of cases, you just can't stop and leave them there...you must seat and crimp them all, whereas I can stop at any time if I get tired or something comes up).

Hope this helps. BTW, reference material is a must, as others have mentioned. I have found an awful lot of material on the net from the manufactures and other places. Much of it is the same as in a book, but without all of the tables for hundreds of calibers.

Good luck with your decisions. It's a fun and engaging hobby.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

You have heard from many experts here, not much to add. I started with the lee hand loading kit that matches the 3rd picture of AJMD's post. Loaded 44 mag and .45 acp for years with those two kits. Then I went to a rock chucker kit when I started loading for 30-06, 7mm TCU, 270 and .223. Later went to a Dillon progressive for .357 and .45colt. Along the way I picked up a lee handloader like the first picture in AJMD's post along with some like the 2nd picture. Currently I'm loading .44mag with my original hand loading kit, and my 45-70 with the lee handloader like the first picture. I do these in stages and for a weekend of shooting, I can easily load all I need sometime during the week. Currently in process for 100 rounds of 45-70. Point is, it is a fun hobby all in its self. It puts you in touch with the ancient, much like black powder where you take charge of your ammo, creating it specifically for the task at hand, wringing out the accuracy potential of firearm, cartridge and yourself. It also does not have to be expensive to get into. I invested $20 in the first kit for .44mag and, not counting time, saved that much in ammo the first day I went out. Now its about customizing the loads which factory ammo does not allow, and knowing that the game animal was taken with something I put together for that very purpose. I reload for .44mag, .45acp, 45-70, as well as .54 and .50 cal BP rifles. I purchase ammo for .22lr, .22mag, 9.3x74R, 9mm, 9mm makarov, and 30-06 because its either rimfire or because I don't shoot enough of it in a year to make it worth the effort. For the 9.3x74R and the 9mm Makarov, both are fired out of my express double rifle. The rifle is regulated for a specific ammo for game, and I use chamber inserts to shoot the makarov ammo in it to plink with. I have more than a case of the makarov ammo which I pick up at gun shows on special. The 9mm is one of my small carry pistols and I shoot it just enough to keep me familiar with it. The .22lr is used in a conversion kit in my kimber .45. the .22mag in a rifle and a carry pistol. The 30-06 I have two boxes for a rifle I have yet to shoot. I reload for shotguns too, 20 and 12 but that is a whole nother topic. Good luck in your choices.

PS, I got Alnitak into the handloading in just such a conversation. :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote: PS, I got Alnitak into the handloading in just such a conversation. :wink:
LOL...absolutely! I believe he also gave me my first kit...one of those all-in-one handloader kits for my first 9mm pistol back in the mid-80's. Still have, and occasionally use it. And, it's in my BOB. Thanks Bro!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

lots of good advise, start cheap and simple.
make sure you want to continue before sinking alot of cash. :wink:

what usually gets hammered pretty hard [ and seems to be missing here ]
is info, load manuals [ multiple ], instruction manuals [ richard lee's modern reloading or
rodney james abc's of reloading ], and best choice, a local reloader that might
take pity on a novice and show them some techniques that may not be obvious
at first blush.

good luck and be safe, it's a fine hobby. :wink:

[ maybe i should have stuck my capslock on :?: ]

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pokey wrote:...what usually gets hammered pretty hard [ and seems to be missing here ] is info, load manuals [ multiple ], instruction manuals [ richard lee's modern reloading or rodney james abc's of reloading ], and best choice, a local, experienced and reliable reloader that might take pity on a novice and show them some techniques that may not be obvious at first blush...
Let me emphasize that for ya Pokey.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote:
pokey wrote:...what usually gets hammered pretty hard [ and seems to be missing here ] is info, load manuals [ multiple ], instruction manuals [ richard lee's modern reloading or rodney james abc's of reloading ], and best choice, a local, experienced and reliable reloader that might take pity on a novice and show them some techniques that may not be obvious at first blush...
Let me emphasize that for ya Pokey.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

By...take a tip from an old reloader. Learn batch loading first...a bunch of 'youngins jump into the progressive BS right off and never get into the nitty gritty of the basics. Most wind up blowing up an expensive gun like a Glock. Several of my young friends have done so against my advice and wound up learning a hard & expensive lesson. Sometimes bloody.

Get 'yerself a LEE kit & learn the art. The Lee's provide a complete reloading system including casting. Can't say enough good about their company. They know what they're talking about.

Go slow (unlike todays modern young sculls full of mush) and ground yourself properly. Learn the art of casting too. Later...you won't be able to be fooled with all the BS that's floating around the net, or from some knucklehead at the range. If'n you do, you'll be an old hand that can't be fooled. Just like me and the old hands on this board....

Here's to your success :wink:

LB
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

:lol: Thanks guys! I'm planning to start out loading for my .30-30 and .357. I definitely like the idea of grounding myself with the basics and focusing on the proper procedures to avoid screwing up and risking damage to life and limb. I'll be honest, I really don't have a desire to own a progressive loader. I'm interested in slowing down and relaxing with my reloading and making quality loads. I don't get out to shoot as much as I would like, so I don't need to crank out hundreds of rounds an hour. I just picked up the Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook today and will be studying it thoroughly. I'll add more references as I can and just need to order the basic supplies over the next couple weeks and I'll be off and away! I'm sure this will be another hobby that will develop into a lifelong passion. Leverbob, cast boolits are most assuredly in my future as well!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

We are fortunate enough to have a reloading store at the local range and they stock presses from 3 or 4 makers.

Of all I liked the Redding the best - no play in the action and it has an angle to it so if you sit in front of it you have a clear view of your work. Other presses put the metal body of the press right in your way.

I started with the Lee Hand Press to get a feel for how the work goes. Once I loaded a few, I had a better understanding of the whole process and was better able to choose a press.

I went with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press - the convenience of having all your dies right there is a big advantage. Also, I lost my reticence to using Lee stuff - quality is fine and they are more innovative, and their designs make sense.

Another thing about being a Lee fan, getting stuff to 'last a lifetime' is overkill. You aren't going to wear out a press. Choose what you like, from functionality to cachet. They will all work and all last.

One thing Lee did to counter the scuttlebutt that their presses weren't strong enough - they took their cheapest press and filed through the body so there was only about 1/4" left. Then they used that press to load thousands of rounds.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

El Chivo wrote:We are fortunate enough to have a reloading store at the local range and they stock presses from 3 or 4 makers.

Of all I liked the Redding the best - no play in the action and it has an angle to it so if you sit in front of it you have a clear view of your work. Other presses put the metal body of the press right in your way.

I started with the Lee Hand Press to get a feel for how the work goes. Once I loaded a few, I had a better understanding of the whole process and was better able to choose a press.

I went with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press - the convenience of having all your dies right there is a big advantage. Also, I lost my reticence to using Lee stuff - quality is fine and they are more innovative, and their designs make sense.

Another thing about being a Lee fan, getting stuff to 'last a lifetime' is overkill. You aren't going to wear out a press. Choose what you like, from functionality to cachet. They will all work and all last.

One thing Lee did to counter the scuttlebutt that their presses weren't strong enough - they took their cheapest press and filed through the body so there was only about 1/4" left. Then they used that press to load thousands of rounds.
Bunyan (BY)... this is good solid advice. The LEE turret system is essentially batch loading, only it may be better. You work with one case at a time, from start to loaded round. I use the old LEE 3-hole turret press for my pistol loading. Go on the net & get a LEE catalog. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Please keep us up on your progress...that would be interesting.

LB
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Leverbob, I'll keep you guys informed as I go and let you know the results. I'm sure there will be plenty more questions as well. I have the manual. I have some brass. Now I just need all the other "stuff"!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Here's my .02: Buy a Lee single stage press with the kit that comes with it. It comes with everything you need except the dies. I would invest in a good scale however. The one that comes with the kit is not the best. This kit will allow you to learn each individual step in the process, which is very important. You always want to learn the basics before moving on to the more advanced stuff.

This will serve several purposes. One is it is a very inexpensive way to get started. The kit costs less than $150, and the equipment is more than adequate for reloading, and I actually prefer many of the Lee products over the more expensive brands. It will be an inexpensive way to see if you really like the reloading thing and want to stick with it. You can then upgrade your press and/or equipment as you decide you need to. I just upgraded to the Lee turret press, and have no regrets or complaints. If you decide you don't like it or don't have time, you're only out $150 instead of the $300 or $400 that some of the other kits cost.

I'm a big proponent of buying the best equipment you can afford. Lyman, RCBS, Dillon, etc. are all very good and reputable brands. With that having been said, and I know some of the other guys here will disagree with me, but I don't believe you can beat Lee reloading equipment for what it gives you for the cost. There are some disadvantages in that some of the products are predominantly plastic, which helps them to keep the cost down, but I haven't had any problems with durability thus far.

Just as important as the equipment you choose are reloading manuals. Get a few of them and stick to the loads in them.

There's a lot of good info in this thread, and I don't think you will go wrong no matter whose advice you take. Good luck!!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I go to some reloading sites and everything I read a thread about a broken press, it has the name of Lee attached to it. There are other threads about how to work on various other pieces of Lee equipment to get them to work properly. The Lee auto-disc seems to be a popular subject of such threads.

I realize that Lee stuff is cheap and that gets lots of people into the reloading craft. Lee also has some very creative designs like their collett neck sizing dies. These are good points about Lee, but cheap comes with a price and that often means breakage.

Some years back I bought a Lee turret press because of the low cost. I loaded some 30-06 match ammo and all went well until the finished ammo was sitting in the loading block and it was then I noticed there were differences in the overall length of the rounds. I thought the problem was the bullet seating die, but traced it back to slight difference in the headspace/shoulder of the brass. The darn pot metal turret had so much slop in in and the press was flexing enough to cause the issue. It is now a trot line weight somewhere on the Colorado River in West Texas.

I started reloading 53 years ago and have never broken a press, nor had to modify any piece of equipment to get it to work properly. Good equipment works and will last several lifetimes. A cast iron press with all steel linkage is the way to go.

You can't go wrong with RCBS equipment. Their Rockchucker press is excellent. Redding, Lyman and others also make quality equipment. There are lots and lots of good vintage cast iron presses out there on Ebay. If a fellow knows what to look for, he can pick up a high quality equipment for a very good price.

Pay very close attention to reloading safety. Guns are destroyed and folks are killed or injured on a regular basis by reloaded ammunition made by folks who didn't keep their eye on the ball. Please stay away from progressive reloading equipment until you are well educated and practiced in the craft.

Have a great time..