New Levergun & Single-Action Combo, in 32 H&R Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

New Levergun & Single-Action Combo, in 32 H&R Mag

Post by Old No7 »

This has to be a record... I've already posted (3) gun-related posts so far today, and this one is definitely On Topic for this forum!

For quite awhile now, I've been really into the little .32s, having found a nice old H&R top-break in S&W Long, then getting a NIB Ruger SP101 in H&R Mag (for a hunting sidearm), and then by inheriting a nice old S&W 5-screw 32 Regulation Police from my late father's estate. Too many years too late, I became aware that Marlin had also made their 1894 Cowboy in the 32 Mag chambering -- but I've read it had the lowest total production numbers of any caliber ever offered. Within the last 6 months, a nice used one of those went for over $800 and a new one almost broke $1,100 on GunBroker sales. Wow, that's way too rich for my blood -- even for a 32 which I "had to have" -- but I figured it was worth keeping an eye out for one...

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I was on the phone with a national gun retailer and I requested that a used Ruger Single Six in 32 Mag be shipped to the store closest to me for inspection and possible pickup. While on the phone, the outfitter on the other end offered to answer any detailed questions about it, as he was the one who had offered it up for sale there. After hearing all about how it only had "Maybe 1 or 2 boxes of ammo put through it...." over the last 8 years, and how he bought it for his wife to shoot CAS but she didn't get into it, I was really pleased with the quality and condition for the price. So off to Maine it was shipped. Then he ended the call by saying "Well, I'll bet that makes your day."

And I said, "Yes, that's great, but you'd really make my day if you said you also had a Marlin leveraction in the same caliber that you'd sell to me privately, which puts more $$ in your pocket..." I almost fell off my chair when he said "Um, yes, I do have one sitting unused in the safe, and OK, I'll sell it to you..." Whoa boy!!! All we had to do then was to talk price on a follow-up call the next day, when he wasn't at work.

The negotiations went much quicker and smoother than I thought... The seller got $250 more than he had paid for it, which he felt was a very fair deal, and I came in well under the used price noted above -- which was great for me too. That's still a lot for a new Marlin 1894 by some standards, but not a bad price at all for a super rare NIB/never-fired 32 H&R Mag Cowboy. I couldn't say "I'll take it!" fast enough, but he obviously understood what I was saying, as a week or so later after all the paperwork was exchanged, she finally came home with me to complete my new 32 Mag Combo.

Here's the Ruger SS that started it all... By unhooking one leg of the trigger spring, she breaks crisp & clean at 2 pounds. This is my first handgun with the rounded birdshead grips, but so far, I am really pleased with how they feel.
Single-Six 32 H&R 01 (Medium).jpg
...And here's the nice little Marlin Cowboy that completes the set! I sort of wish she was checkered like her big brother -- my Marlin Cowboy Limited in 38-55 -- but I'll use her for awhile and see if that becomes a winter project some time. A Skinner 1894 Express Sight is now on its way to be mounted soon.
Marlin 1894 CB-32 Mag 01 (Medium).jpg
Marlin 1894 CB-32 Mag 03 (Medium).jpg
Oh, and for JReed and the Ysabel Kid, here's the required pix...
Marlin 1894 CB-32 Mag 02 (Medium).jpg
"22" used to be my favorite lucky number growing up -- before I became of age and hung around with "Number 7" -- but I've sure been lucky with "32" lately!

I guess the moral of this story is.... "Sometimes, all you have to do is ask..." :wink:

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Levergun & Single-Action Combo, in 32 H&R Mag

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I always wanted a Smith model 16 but they're always so pricey. Then the .327 Federal came along and I figure the .32 H&R was doomed due to it's lower power and less than prevalent availability. How does the .32 H&R compare in power to the 32-20?

I love the Bird's Head setup on that Single-Six.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Oh what a day! Congratulations! I've wanted to get a .32H&R Marlin since getting my .32 Single Six but alas my pocket book is too small.

Nice set up and the Ruger birdshead grip is one of my favorite.

LK
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've traveled that same .32 Mag road and it's fun. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice set :D and yes the slippers make the picture complete :lol: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Man, I'm jealous; I like .44 Mags and the .357 Mags are just 'too close' to be all that useful in comparison (doesn't stop me from buying them, though... :wink: ), but the "little 32's" are a perfect mid-way between the .44 Mag (or .45 Colt) and the .22 LR's.

If a person had revolvers and levergun carbines in:
  • .22 LR (with maybe the WMR cylinder for the revolver just for fun)
    .32 of some sort (the .327 seems the most versatile and reloadable)
    .44 Mag or .45 Colt (probably the Colt has the upper hand)
...then just add a rifle in .444 Marlin or .45-70, and you'z ready to hunt, plink, & fight...! 8)

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:How does the .32 H&R compare in power to the 32-20?
I think it's kind of like the .450 Marlin and the .45-70; they both have similar peak performance, but the older .32-20 guns out there limit factory ammo to lower pressures.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Old No.7, sounds like you need to sit back in your easy chair w/the Ruger on one side and the Marlin on the other and sip an old fashioned with your favorite No. 7. It'd make me feel complete and like I'd of accomplished something. Good on ya.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool combo - and I really like that last picture! :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations. Hope you have a lot of fun with those firearms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Over the years I wrote several letters to Marlin in support of a .32 H&R chambering.
When they finally did it, I never had the cash to take advantage.
Maybe some day I'll get lucky too.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Gotta get me a 32!

Mom and bro each have a 32 revolver,
Mom got a slicked up by me SP101 in 327 Fed Mag
and bro has a 32 H&R Single six.

Since I'm the only one who handloads I really outta get a 32.
S&W too pricey, looking at maybe a SP or GP Ruger and leanin
towards the GP with my larger hands. Rifles I have 17HMR, 22LR,
30 Carbine, 44 Mag with 22 & 44 handguns as my handgun caliber guns.
Oh yeah I do have a break open 32 or two but when shootin moms
327 (it takes 32 H&R, 32 Long and 32 S&W (Short), Those shorts just
bounced off the 22 steel targets at ten yards and want either the H&R or Fed Mag.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations.. :mrgreen: it's nice when a plan comes together.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.