OT: My Version of the 10/22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

OT: My Version of the 10/22

Post by 20cows »

I have a 10/22 that I got in a horse trade with my brother, but I didn't do much with it for a long time. It was an adult version with a really nice walnut montecarlo stock and would print one barely ragged hole at 25 yds.

Then they said I couldn't get extended magazines for it. I wasn't supposed to put a folding stock on it. I had no plans for doing such things until they told me I couldn't. :evil:

Then they said I could. :twisted:

As soon as the ban was over, I put a Butler Creek folding stock on it and bought several extended magazines.

Though my main companion long gun is my trapper 38-55, the 10/22 gets a fair amount of carry time. I am spending a lot of time this summer killing mesquite while it's easy to see (the only thing green in the pasture). The folding stock is ideal.

My son's 10/22 arrived today. I found one in Ankorage, Alaska already set up. The Boy took a cottontail first time out with it.

Today was a good day (only one flat instead of six). :D
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: My Version of the 10/22

Post by dennie »

20cows, Looks like a nice set-up. I do not have a 10-22 at the present time, but that may change. Congrats to your son for the rabbit. They are pretty good eating.
If the flats you mentioned are on your mower I can relate. There are several wild bushes growing on our property and I was always having to stop and repair a tire/tube on the rider and finishing mower. Sometimes I did not have a tube, so had to run into town to get one. Man, that really adds to your mowing time! :evil: I finally bought some stuff called "slime". It is a sealant you put in your tires/tubes and it really works. (You can also buy tubes with "slime" already in it.) Easy to do too, you just take the core out of the valve stem and squeeze in the "slime'. I have not had a flat since! :D May not work with the big thorns, but does well with the berry bushes.
Hope this helps.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Good looking and useful firearms.

I had mine done up like yours but then I got a bright idea and messed up the stock and bought one of those Archangel things. It shoots staraight and handles pretty well. It sure does spank squills. But I'm still not sure I like it.

After seeing Ji's new M1 version, I'm liking the Archangel version just a little less.

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

Good looking weapon. I got a 10/22 way back and the first thing I did was to save my nickels and dimes to put a Choate folding stock on it. 26 years later I finally put the original stock back on (but I kept the flash hider onit).

Good looking kid as well!

Here is mine before I put the folder on circa 1984.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This is a Tapco stock, and combined with an Eotech holosight, clone of a Lasermax pistol laser, and bright flashlight that fit 30mm scope rings, makes a nice chicken-house gun for the last egg-check of the day; about 10% of the time there will be a rat or some other vermin to deal with.

I like the Williams WGRS sight they make for the 10/22 and 96/22 (this one is on the 96/22), but had to channel mine out the middle to enable me to use it 'ghost-ring' style when I want.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice work on the rifle, I miss my farming days when a guy could carry a gun around on his own property all day. The tractor needs a GI style Jeep scabbard and Desert or GI green paint job like the old Willies, probably doesn't need sloping plate though? The mount for the pistol sprayer is perfect, actually looks like making a tedious chore a lot more fun!!!

I use the Williams sight on my 10/22 and love it as well. Otherwise it is a stock carbine and decades old. Still a shooter and probably my most fun gun ever. I'm looking into a bolt buffer and some trigger parts though and might mount a scope for my eyes finally.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Though it's hard to see in the photo, mine has a Tasco Red Dot scope on it.

Denny, the flats have all been on the sprayer. I'm putting flat free tires on it today.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back about 25 years ago I put a folding Ramline stock on my 10/22. Somehow it just didn't agree with me so I sold it a year later. Then about 15 years ago when EvilBay had 10/22 stocks and barrels for dime a dozen I bought a factory stock, and stainless barrel for it. When I'd go fishing along the secluded coastline of Kahikinui, Maui I wanted a plinker that was resistant to the salt air, and this turned out perfect. Been back on O'ahu now for almost 4 years and being in the old homestead I was raised in all the memories of Dad this property has I decided to return my 10/22 to it's former glory plus some. I'm happy I did. Don't know whether to hand on the the stainless barrel and synth stock or not.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Back about 25 years ago I put a folding Ramline stock on my 10/22. Somehow it just didn't agree with me so I sold it a year later. Then about 15 years ago when EvilBay had 10/22 stocks and barrels for dime a dozen I bought a factory stock, and stainless barrel for it. When I'd go fishing along the secluded coastline of Kahikinui, Maui I wanted a plinker that was resistant to the salt air, and this turned out perfect. Been back on O'ahu now for almost 4 years and being in the old homestead I was raised in all the memories of Dad this property has I decided to return my 10/22 to it's former glory plus some. I'm happy I did. Don't know whether to hand on the the stainless barrel and synth stock or not.
Hang onto them Ji!

20cows - nice set up.

Another idea for a short 10/22 is a bullpup stock. I remember seeing them some time ago. I'd love to try this set-up.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The only bullpup stock set-up I've seen, by Muzzelite, has a terrible arrangement for trigger linkage and it's way too expensive to not be happy with.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

20cows wrote:The only bullpup stock set-up I've seen, by Muzzelite, has a terrible arrangement for trigger linkage and it's way too expensive to not be happy with.
I had heard that before - which is why I'd like to try it myself - before ever buying one! :lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Almost all bullpups have bad triggers, even factory designs, but the Muzzlelite is notorious.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

20cows wrote:The only bullpup stock set-up I've seen, by Muzzelite, has a terrible arrangement for trigger linkage and it's way too expensive to not be happy with.
Yep. Same one they make for Mini-14's, and I got one years ago but never wound up using it for that reason.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "