Hawk Bullets load data

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Hawk Bullets load data

Post by 33wcfshooter »

I just got some Hawk 200 gr. FP .338's for my 33 WCF and can't understand the load info on there website about using 10% below the starting loads for normal jacketed loads. Is that just a misprint or is there something about the copper jacket that they have to be loaded that much lighter? If I use the starting load from Hornady and knock them down another 10% that would get the charge down to maybe a problem level (sticking a bullet in the barrel). Anyone with experience with loading Hawk bullets what do you use for load data? I've been using the light starting load from hornady 33.3 gr. of 3031 with there 200 gr. FP (can't get anymore so am switching to the Hawks) and have had good luck with it (one of my 33's is a rebarreled early action '86 so I keep the loads lighter). Would it be ok to just stick with this charge for the Hawks or would this cause a pressure problem? Also, anyone ever tried the H4895 in the 33 WCF with the 200 gr. Hawks I've been thinking it might be better then 3031 being less temp. sen. for hunting in colder weather? Thanks in advance for any information it is greatly appreciated.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Hawk Bullets load data

Post by piller »

Sorry I can't help, but I would suggest making a call to Hodgdon and asking if they have any info they could send you. Mike Rintoul of Grizzly Cartridge uses Hawk bullets in some of his loads, and while he cannot for all the usual reasons, tell you exactly his recipe, he might be able to give you a recipe you can use.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I did have an older Marlin 93 in 38-55 awhile back and used just starting loads, can't remember what starting load was but I do remember using 2400 powder, didn't have any problems and shot extremely well with the pitted barrel. They are softer jacketed bullets and slug the barrel nicely, I would email or call them just to clarify. The guys there are extremely knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to.

Mainehunter :wink:
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Hawks are not bonded and are known to be soft, better to start low and work up a tad, then blow them aprt from the get go
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Hawk makes a darn good bullet, and I'd take their advise on starting loads.

Hawk uses an annealed pure copper jacket on their bullets. Pure copper is soft to begin with, but they make them even softer by annealing them. The result is a bullet that holds together with its core very well. The other result is the bullet jacket is much softer than the copper alloy jackets used by major bullet manufacturers. This means Hawk bullets will have a lot more friction in your barrel than a Hornady bullet of the same weight. More friction means more pressure (which will also means equal velocities with less powder). So heed their advise and you will get good results.

Barnes bullets used to give this same advise until they designed their bullets with less bearing surface to compensate for a pure copper jacket.

Once you've loaded up a few rounds, you will need to see how they feed in your rifle. Copper, especially soft copper is somewhat sticky and will take some getting used to when feeding in tight or angled chambers.

I've used Hawk bullets and they are very good bullets - but they are semi-custom bullets requiring a little special attention when reloading.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Never used H4895 but.............have pushed several thousand rounds of 33 WCF loaded with the 200 Hornady in front of 42 grs. of 3031 and in the last 10 years have used 44 grains of IMR 4895. These were all out of the same 3 guns--all extra or lightweight 1886's produced from 1905 on.

I think you will be very safe by starting with 38 or 40 grains of IMR or H-4895. I have personally been involved with other people who, like you, have rebarreled early 1886's. Winchester used to make this a regular practice.

Nothing you kill is going to notice the difference between 2,000 fps and 2,200. Use a chronograph and slowly work up---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD