Quiet loads: Thank you, Paco Kelly!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Quiet loads: Thank you, Paco Kelly!

Post by Dirty Bob »

Thank you, Paco Kelly!

I've been reading Paco's articles and, of course, Leverguns, for several years. I have also read the writings of C.E. "Ed" Harris, who has done some load experimentation similar to Paco's. I've been especially intrigued by the idea of quiet loads in centerfires. I've been shooting the excellent CCI Long CB Caps in long-barreled .22s for years. Their low noise level allows me to practice at the range in the early morning without annoying the neighbors. That load has also accounted for a few rats with well-placed head shots, over the years.

Finally, I couldn't resist any longer. I bought a .45 Colt Rossi M92, with a 24-inch barrel, as well as a .357 Magnum single-shot Handi-Rifle. My intention was to work up some low-velocity loads and see if I could combine low-noise, short-range accuracy and a useful power level into one load.

For the .45 Colt, I already had a Lyman 255-grain SWC mould, and I added two Lee moulds for the .45: a .454 round ball mould, and a 300-grain flat nose mould. For the .357, I already had wadcutter and SWC moulds, but I added a Lee .360 round ball mould and an excellent Lyman 195-grain round nose mould.

With the .45 Colt levergun, I started with .454 round balls, in an attempt to make a quiet load. I was working with Bullseye powder:
  • 1.5 grains Bullseye - Very quiet, but there was a noticeable delay between the "Phfft" of the report and the "Spat" of the bullet hitting the target. At 25 yards, bullet drop was about 1 foot.
  • 2.0 grains Bullseye - Still quiet, but accuracy seemed erratic.
  • 2.5 grains Bullseye - Noise level similar to .22LR, with improved accuracy. It seemed like there was still some erratic behavior. Perhaps I loaded the wrong charge in the very windy conditions, or maybe the position of the powder in the case is affecting velocity. I tested this load with the "Board O' Truth." It completely penetrated four plastic milk jugs full of water (24" in total) and dented the fifth. The ball appeared undamaged.
I also tried the Lee 300 grain .452 WFN bullet. In front of 3.0 grains of Bullseye, recoil was light, and the noise level was again comparable to the .22LR in a rifle. This load penetrated the six remaining jugs of water (I only brought ten!) and kept on going. The first three jugs were split open by pressure.

Finally, I tried the Lee WFN bullet in front of 9.0 grains of Blue Dot: the starting load from Richard Lee's Modern Reloading. There was noticeable recoil, but nothing punishing. Noise was also increased, but it was -- subjectively -- much lower than the report of a high-powered rifle like the .30-06. Accuracy, at least in my first impression with a few rounds, was good. Further testing is called for.

The .357 Magnum testing started poorly and got better. The .357 Handi-Rifle comes without sights. I'm planning to shorten the barrel to about 16.5 inches, so I installed an NDS ghost ring rear and a wood-and-kydex front sight for load testing. The makeshift front sight did not provide the best accuracy test, and serious testing will have to await the barrel cut-and-crown and a new front sight.

With the .360 round ball, I had inconsistent ignition and accuracy when I tried to reduce the load enough to lower the noise level. Several balls had to be tapped out of the barrel. I suspect that the position of that tiny bit of Bullseye powder in the large .38 Special case was at least part of the problem. It may also have been that I needed a larger round ball for the bore of the rifle.

The Lyman round nose bullet was a huge improvement. I started at 2 grains of Bullseye, with the bullet crimped in the groove closest to the bullet nose. Noise levels were perhaps comparable to a .22LR, and accuracy seemed good. As I dropped the powder charge to 1.5 grains of Bullseye in .1 grain steps, the report dropped to air rifle levels, and short-range accuracy remained good. Position sensitivity didn't seem to be a problem like before, but I made a point of pointing the ammo nose-upward just prior to inserting into the chamber. I kept the rifle level while closing the action.

Conclusions
I'm very pleased with the heavy Lyman bullet in the .38/.357 rifle. I hope that even with a shorter Handi-Rifle barrel, I'll be able to get the report down to .22LR or even air rifle levels. In any case, the very mild recoil -- combined with a quieter noise level and very low muzzle blast -- gives us a great training round for beginning shooters and for short-range plinking.

The .360 round balls were an initial disappointment, but perhaps I could crimp the case mouth over the "ogive" of the ball a bit more and increase pressure enough for good ignition. A bulkier powder may also help, as it would be less affected by powder position in the case.

The .454 round balls show some promise, although very windy conditions made at-range reloading difficult and limited the amount of testing that could be done. I suspect that something around 2 grains of Bullseye (or the equivalent load of Trail Boss, or something similar) might be just the ticket to short-range accuracy, low noise, and enough power.

The .452 Lee WFN is a very useful bullet. Cast soft, over a light charge of powder, it showed impressive performance, with a .22 rimfire noise signature. Perhaps further trials may bring the sound down to airgun levels or lower?

I plan to try another fast powder: Trail Boss. This very bulky powder should address any issues of powder position within the large .38, .357 and .45 Colt cases and may be an even better choice than Bullseye for low-noise rounds for rifles and is designed for light charges and low pressures, with lead bullets. It might turn out to be the "perfect" powder for cat's sneeze loads in centerfire rifles. Careful testing is in order.

Respectfully submitted,
Dirty Bob
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Quiet loads: Thank you, Paco Kelly!

Post by Catshooter »

Very good report Bob, thanks.

It's really a shame that Paco's book on levers is way out of print. I have a copy and it is packed with good round ball data. He even loads some to over 2400 feet! He of course does a lot with the cat sneeze loads too.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can tell you that a .54 RB with 25gr of Pyrodex P is just a noticable Thud, and is very accurate at squill range....Bet ya couldn't hear it past a couple hundred yards out in the open. Certainly quieter than an ax hitting a good blow to a log.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Bob, if you're interested in another round of .45 tests, I'd be willing to donate a bullet I think would do well. The only trouble is it needs to run in the short Cowboy .45 Special case to be efficient enough, so it'd be a single feed deal in your rifles.

The Barnstormer bullet is 130 gr, deep hollow base, thin skirt, cast soft (3:1 WW:PB) with a decently long bearing surface to combine with the thin skirt HB design which when loaded modestly helps to slow it down while giving pressures sufficient for a good burn in the short cases.

I've not done the formal work-up, instead simply shooting it with 3.8 grains BE in pistols for CAS, but you're welcome to a sample pack of bullets and brass if you want to do the work-up.
Certified gun nut
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dirty Bob wrote:
I've been reading Leverguns, for several years.
Dirty Bob

11 posts? Is that why they call you "dirty"?----Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Post by Dirty Bob »

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. My humble efforts so far have been interesting, but they pale in comparison to the work of Paco and others. Blaine's .54 RB Pyrodex load, for example, sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it?

Catshooter: I had to get Paco's book from Interlibrary Loan and have taken a ton of notes. Great book, and a fun read.

adirondakjack: I'd be honored to take you up on your offer. That's a very impressive bullet design -- lighter than a .45 round ball, if I'm not mistaken! Wow! I'll bet with that combination of weight and bearing surface, they could be quite accurate at low velocities and pressures. I'll send my contact / mailing info via a PM. Thank you!

Sixgun: The "Dirty Bob" moniker comes from a character I ran, in a dice-and-paper game called Aftermath, back in the 1980s. Bob was a biker, who rode a Harley and carried an M1 Garand and a Luger. I use the name instead of my own because I work in an anti-gun environment. There are several of us shooters with the employer, but we all have to keep it very low-key.

Thanks,
Dirty Bob