Marlin Rear Band Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin Rear Band Issues

Post by BruceB »

Yesterday I tried to swap the rear band (forend band) on my pre-safety Marlin 336 with the modern band with the sling stud attached. It didn't go too well. After sanding down the wood to allow the new band to fit, I couldn't get screw to line up correctly. Finally I decided to try some other time when I had more patience for the project and tried to re-assemble it with the old band. That too ended up being a real pain. I finally got it all back together, but i don't think it's exactly right. I expected this to just take a few minutes, not several hours. Anybody else had issues with the rear band on a Marlin? Any tricks to getting together correctly?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Hobie

Re: Marlin Rear Band Issues

Post by Hobie »

Yes, sometimes you need only unscrew the band screw and you've committed to a couple of hours of cussing and sweating to get the screw to go in correctly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:Yes, sometimes you need only unscrew the band screw and you've committed to a couple of hours of cussing and sweating to get the screw to go in correctly.
THAT is a conservative estimate.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There MUST be a better way to do it that the 'normal' one - even IF you get everything back in place with the new or old parts, the next time you disassemble it, you'll have trouble again, most likely.

That's why I dislike tubular-magazine leverguns, especially blued ones (well, maybe 'dislike' is kind of strong, since I do sort of collect them...). Anyway, it would have been nice if the master gun-designers had cultivated similar skills in stock-design.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This is one of the things that seem to be more of an issue with Marlins. I've cussed and cursed them a number of times. It seems that the factory used some sort of jig that pressed the parts into alignment to install many of them, and the only way to get them back togther was with some sort of similar setup, or work wood and metal down to get the parts to align.

Have had a few issues with Winchesters, but not nearly as much it seems.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 'Winchesters' are all made by Rossi, but they certainly have 'issues' with forend bands too; I dread to remove them.

Funny you can swap other parts in the Marlins with no problems - levers, hammers, triggers, etc., all with much more critical alignment, but it sure seems no two forend hangers are in the same position!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Thanks guys. Now I don't feel quite so incompetent. I did a little research on Marlin Owners and see all sorts of recommendations for filing the barrel notch, the forend holes, and the band itself.
A few years ago I swapped out the bands two 94 Winchesters. It was simple and easy, not this mess!
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

I've had few Marlins, and many Winchesters. Trust me when I say Winchesters have the same issues with barrel bands. Only they are not consistent. Also you have to speak different languages when you cuss at a Win than you do at a Marlin. Being able to cuss in different languages is a plus.

All I can say is if I took it apart, I WILL get it back together.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

One trick I've used is to barely insert one screw, just get it started, and then, while there is still plenty of play in the hanger, get the other screw started. Once both are in, it's easy going. Once you've started a screw in one side more than halfway, the slop necessary to get the other side started is gone and you'll spend all night at the bench.
Well done is better than well said.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Bruce,

I've had few Marlins, and many Winchesters. Trust me when I say Winchesters have the same issues with barrel bands. Only they are not consistent. Also you have to speak different languages when you cuss at a Win than you do at a Marlin. Being able to cuss in different languages is a plus.

All I can say is if I took it apart, I WILL get it back together.

Joe
Maybe that's how I keep my time down to just a couple of hours, I've got 4 spoken languages to use and even some sign language... :roll: :lol: Yes, Winchesters will do it, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson