OT - Almost the end of an era

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Almost the end of an era

Post by JReed »

Sad. You never hear much about the guys from the first flag raising on Iwo.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000. ... endocument
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have watched Iwo Jima with John Wayne but it wasnt until I watched Flags of our Fathers that I really appreciated that whole event. I always tell Vets thank you for their sacrifice no matter where I meet them. God Bless our troops for the sacrifice they have made... No matter what war or action they have taken part. They went so that I can enjoy freedom!!! Thank God!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They will be remembered.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

We will remember them.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

JReed,
Funny but most of those guys never went around talking or bragging about what they accomplished; my father included. They just did what they had to do to protect our way of life for the rest of us. Truly our nation's greatest generation! They will be missed; but NEVER forgotten!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Billy Boy wrote:They will be missed; but NEVER forgotten!
One has to wonder.

In a recent poll by a British TX show, more than 20% of a sampling of 3000 British teenagers thought that Winston Churchill was a fictional character.

I'll bet even money that most American teens think the same way about some of our giants in history.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Billy Boy wrote:Funny but most of those guys never went around talking or bragging about what they accomplished...
True for the most part, but really just part of popular lore. People were still people, even back then. A strong "Exhibit A" to the contrary would be one of the second group of flag-raisers: Rene Gagnon.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

remembering

Post by brucew44guns »

What classroom in America actually teaches the history of historial accounts of soldiers? Ike, MacArthur, Patton, who were they? Eisenhower is remembered for alledgedly having an affair with his female driver, not for the fact that he was the Supreme Allied Commander. The educational systems have robbed a whole nation of it's hero's, they just don't mention them.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Our educational system today is turning out very few hero's. Most of the teachers are anti-gun, anti-hunting, and live the Bambi syndrome. This is passed on to the students day in and day out. We are not the country that won two world wars.. Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed , at least their story is being told and hasn't been forgotten, and thank you for your service to our country!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Billy Boy wrote:JReed,
Funny but most of those guys never went around talking or bragging about what they accomplished; my father included. They just did what they had to do to protect our way of life for the rest of us. Truly our nation's greatest generation! They will be missed; but NEVER forgotten!
BB

:wink:
True heroes never boast.

Next time you see a politician and he lists his achievements remember the
sentence above this one :D

It's like seeing a child splashing around in a pond yelling for help, talking ain't
gonna do a bit of good.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Yesterday, I was down in the basement working with the Dillon 550 B when the phone rang. About 15 Minutes later my wife came down and said she got a call from someone doing historical research on WWII. His father (the caller) or grandfather had been in the same plane my wife's father had to ditch at sea in the Marshall Islands during WWII. They all ended up as POWs of the Japanese. The ditched planes had actually been located and the guy that called gave my wife a website that had info on her father, his plane, the mission, etc. It was pretty incredible.

He never talked about it, but he never cared for much for any Japanese products. He could also eat stuff that would make a billy goat puke. Great man. He lost his brother at Pearl, and his dad was an Naval Academy grad (retired admiral). His great grandfather was a West Point grad (appointed to the academy by Lincoln), one of the first commandants of Yosimite, Military Attache in Japan, etc. Folks dedicated to protecting the nation, long gone, but not forgetten by this family anyway.

Paul
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great post Jeremy!

Guys - it is up to us to teach the next generation about the heroes of our country. The public schools will not - they'd rather focus on PC garbage. I doubt half of the high school age kids could correctly pick the war that the battle of Iwo Jima was fought in, or the theater, or who the opponents were and why it is famous... :( :evil: :cry: