Comparing Browning 1886 to the real thing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Comparing Browning 1886 to the real thing

Post by getitdone1 »

I have a Browning 1886 SRC and a Browning 71 carbine. Wondering how some of you Winchester experts compare them to the original Winchesters?

I do know the Browning 1886 SRC has a little more wood/bulk/weight. How superior, if at all, is the metal of the Browning over the later Winchester 86's? Would it be true that from the introduction of Winchester "nickle steel" and later the old Winchesters are just as strong?
Would you consider loading the Browning hotter than even the latest of the Winchesters?

I've never had my Brownings apart but I believe they use a coil hammer spring vs. the Winchester's leaf spring. The coil spring is supposed to be more durable/reliable. Are there other differences I'm not aware of?

Both the Browning and Winchester 1886's and 71s are great guns and some say the best lever-action rifles ever made.

Don
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Comparing Browning 1886 to the real thing

Post by Mike D. »

My little assembly includes a number of original lightweight 1886s, a 71, a couple of "Winroku" ELs, and a Browning 1886 carbine. The originals are .33 W.C.F., ..38-56 W.C.F., .45-70 and .45-90 W.C.F.. The little Browning has also been reamed to .45-90. The same handloaded ammunition is fired in the older Winchesters as is in the "modern" ones. The original Nickel Steel barreled guns are every bit as capable of handling HV ammo as the new ones. The old 1906 vintage .45-90 has had 300 grain Barnes Original bullets leave the bore at nearly 2500 FPS without any issues whatsoever. The same goes for the Browning. Recoil is just a severe with both rifles because the weights are nearly identical. Ditto with the .45-70s, but the MV is a couple hundred less FPS by choice.

My preference is the more positive feeling of the older flat mainspring over the coil spring of the Mirokus and the old 71. I just might replace the lower tang of one of the ."Winroku" 45-70s with a post-1915 one, along with the hammer and trigger. The "new" Winchesters, with all of the "lawyerized" cagada, are not dependable, but will be totally reliable with 90+ rear old real Winchester parts. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have to think the new ones are stronger. They are certainly very well made and function very smoothly.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The quality control of the Miroku made Brownings were second to none.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have owned several 86s, down to one right now. I agree with Mike D. I had no problem with the Brownings but they don't live here any more. 'Course that SRC would be welcome to come back. Only traded because it was to a buddy and he had this old Bisley 44-40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Mike D. wrote:My little assembly includes a number of original lightweight 1886s, a 71, a couple of "Winroku" ELs, and a Browning 1886 carbine. The originals are .33 W.C.F., ..38-56 W.C.F., .45-70 and .45-90 W.C.F.. The little Browning has also been reamed to .45-90. The same handloaded ammunition is fired in the older Winchesters as is in the "modern" ones. The original Nickel Steel barreled guns are every bit as capable of handling HV ammo as the new ones. The old 1906 vintage .45-90 has had 300 grain Barnes Original bullets leave the bore at nearly 2500 FPS without any issues whatsoever. The same goes for the Browning. Recoil is just a severe with both rifles because the weights are nearly identical. Ditto with the .45-70s, but the MV is a couple hundred less FPS by choice.

My preference is the more positive feeling of the older flat mainspring over the coil spring of the Mirokus and the old 71. I just might replace the lower tang of one of the ."Winroku" 45-70s with a post-1915 one, along with the hammer and trigger. The "new" Winchesters, with all of the "lawyerized" cagada, are not dependable, but will be totally reliable with 90+ rear old real Winchester parts. :)
Well, one thing is for sure, the newer Winchesters with the rebounding hammer, will misfire, or at least mine sure did, but I own a Browning now, and I can't see ever letting it go, until I don't need it any more.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

"Well, one thing is for sure, the newer Winchesters with the rebounding hammer, will misfire, or at least mine sure did, but I own a Browning now, and I can't see ever letting it go, until I don't need it any more."

'Ya got that right. Those rebounders, besides having a heavy as hail trigger, pull are completely undependable. The factory stock one that I still have sometimes takes as many as 3-4 hammer strikes to set the primer off.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've compared my Browning 1886 rifle to my B-I-L's originals, and except for that coil mainspring... and the stock finish, ain't a thing changed that I can tell.

I happen to like the feel of the coil springs over the flat ones, even in my '94s. Guess that's what makes us individuals.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've only shot about 40 rounds out of my Winoku 45-90. Shot both 45-70 and 45-90 and besides the heavy, heavy trigger, I didn't have a single misfire. I know that's not a round count high enough to really test the dependability of a rifle, but it goes bang. The quality of the firearm is second to none. I don't care for the stock finish, but that's easily fixable.
Old Law Dawg
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

getitdone1 wrote:I have a Browning 1886 SRC and a Browning 71 carbine. Wondering how some of you Winchester experts compare them to the original Winchesters?

I do know the Browning 1886 SRC has a little more wood/bulk/weight. How superior, if at all, is the metal of the Browning over the later Winchester 86's? Would it be true that from the introduction of Winchester "nickle steel" and later the old Winchesters are just as strong?
Would you consider loading the Browning hotter than even the latest of the Winchesters?

I've never had my Brownings apart but I believe they use a coil hammer spring vs. the Winchester's leaf spring. The coil spring is supposed to be more durable/reliable. Are there other differences I'm not aware of?

Both the Browning and Winchester 1886's and 71s are great guns and some say the best lever-action rifles ever made.

Don
I have both. EXCELLENT quality, Almost custom , at realistic prices. YOU DONE GOOD :D
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

While the overall quality of the Japanese-made Winchesters is great (fine finish and good accuracy), I strongly endorse Mike D's comments on the reliability of the new Winchesters. (Brownings seem to have the original design, and are not subject to the misfires attributed to the new lawyerized USRAC/Winchester rebounding hammer and tang safety). I have both the Miroku 1886 and 1895, and both inconsistently misfired without disabling the hammer strut. I even replaced the entire bolt on my M1886 with an original to fully correct these problems.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I was referring to the Browning 86&71 carbines only. No experience with the Japchesters. Had an orginal Winchester 71 carbine. The browning is in my humble opinion every bit as good. :D
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

tman wrote:I was referring to the Browning 86&71 carbines only. No experience with the Japchesters. Had an orginal Winchester 71 carbine. The browning is in my humble opinion every bit as good. :D
I never had an original of either, but I love both of my Brownings!!
Terry