What canoe would you pick, if you could have only one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

What canoe would you pick, if you could have only one?

Post by tomtex »

The http://www.superiorcanoes.com, or http://www.krugercanoes.com ?

Note: Two of the decked sea canoes are the same . The old type Sea Wind , cost around $5,000 , and the new Superior Expedition model at $3,500 . Which leads me to believe the famous name Sea Wind cost $1,500, to have it on the side of your canoe.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: What canoe would you pick, if you could have only one?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Are you only looking at the covered canoes (kayaks) or are you open to traditional canoes? Where are you wanting to paddle? Lakes? Rivers? Ocean?

Personally, I can't sit in one position for extended periods (puts tons of pain onto my back side) so I need a traditional canoe that I can sit and knell in many many different positions. My kayaks and pirogues are out any more and relegated to very short trips and for the wife, kids and guests. If you aren't sure yourself I'd make some extended trips before buying to make sure your butt will let you.

Another option for you may be: http://www.wenonah.com/products/templat ... 104814d380

Sweet looking, well built ride, saw em up in Ely, MN for about $2200.

LK
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I sold a Gruman 17' to buy Jr. his own Mohawk. One of the worst mistakes I've ever made.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'm glad I have Alumacrft, since every once and a while I hit them with my truck.

Owen
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Are you only looking at the covered canoes (kayaks) or are you open to traditional canoes? Where are you wanting to paddle? Lakes? Rivers? Ocean?

Personally, I can't sit in one position for extended periods (puts tons of pain onto my back side) so I need a traditional canoe that I can sit and knell in many many different positions. My kayaks and pirogues are out any more and relegated to very short trips and for the wife, kids and guests. If you aren't sure yourself I'd make some extended trips before buying to make sure your butt will let you.

Another option for you may be: http://www.wenonah.com/products/templat ... 104814d380

Sweet looking, well built ride, saw em up in Ely, MN for about $2200.

LK
Nice site, liked the seats and back bands.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

With the economy the way it is and prices going up, its time to take $ out of the bank, and buy good things? :?:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I was getting a solo canoe, I'd get this one. Prolly not the best, but I like it.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/hunt ... k_ang.html
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

This is the one I've been wanting.

http://www.directboats.com/ssqstca2.html

I want a square stern so I can throw a small outboard on it if I want and
I really like the extra floatation. Lake Erie can get a bit nasty in danged short time. :D

First time since I was 12 years old I've been with out some kind of boat.
It's freaking me out! Kinda like being on vacation and not having a firearm along! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have a Coleman plastic Scanoe. It has the square transom and I mount a five horse on it. Gotta be careful about how hard to throttle up. It's alright, not a thing of beauty, but it's tough. It's like the difference between a nice old Winchester and a synthetic stock SS rifle. Love the looks of the old traditional just can't justify the cost.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

"If" I were going to get a canoe , it would be an Old Towne !

And it wood be one of the hand laid cedar ones with clear fiber covering/sealer !

I saw some of the hand laid cedar canoes at the Harrisburg PA outdoor show 20 years ago and have wanted one ever since !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I used to have an Oldtown Loon many years ago and wish I hadn't sold that off, as it was the most stable canoe I've ever been in and was perfect for fishing. I also had one of those plastic Coleman 14' Canadian canoes but didn't like it much as it didn't have the same degree of stability and I was constantly worried that I would end up in the drink.

For sheer beauty and a canoe that you could love for a lifetime you could not go past a cedar strip in whatever configuration you prefer. All that love and beauty does come at a price though.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gundownunder wrote:For sheer beauty and a canoe that you could love for a lifetime you could not go past a cedar strip in whatever configuration you prefer. All that love and beauty does come at a price though.

Yes somewhere in the $4500-6000 range now I would think !

I believe when I was looking hard 20 years ago they were $2500-3000 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not everyone's cup of tea but perfect for me! :wink:
A Kailua Kanu 16' Outrigger Canoe aka Wa'a
http://www.kailuakanu.com/
ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

This is the canoe I have. At the time it was called the Osprey.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/hunt ... _c160.html

I love it but as a rule I do this solo so it can be hard to lug around.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

There is no doubt that my favorite canoes as far as looks go are the cedar stripped. Never paddled one and doubt I'd ever spend the money on one but they are nice looking canoes. The prices quoted earlier seems a bit high, pretty sure I've seen em in the $3000 area recently but to tell the truth I haven't been paying to much attention lately. You can however get a kit for around $1000 and build one yourself though. I've done pirogues and it's not very tough so I may tackle a stripper in the future.

Other than that, I've paddled the Wenonah Vagabond and Argosy. Argosy is more of a nimble river boat and I liked it a bunch but I'm starting to get into the lakes and may get something that tracks a little better like the Vagabond. Also, while I like the 14' boats, after seeing some 16' solos up north I'm really leaning towards one of them. I always thought them a bit long for what I've wanted but they don't seem too long with a paddler on the water.

I always thought all I ever needed was a royalex boat but after being around kevlar recently I think it's definitely worth a 50% increase in price to go that route. Wouldn't pay double though.

No matter what, solo boats are the way to go.

LK
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would choose a Grand Lake Stream and you would not catch me near a canoe and snow at the same time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

slow2run wrote:Note: Two of the decked sea canoes are the same . The old type Sea Wind , cost around $5,000 , and the new Superior Expedition model at $3,500 . Which leads me to believe the famous name Sea Wind cost $1,500, to have it on the side of your canoe.
you pay for hand-laid boats and high-tech materials.
Same thing applies in kayaks. Good polyethylene kayaks are $1000, ABS is $1400, fiberglass and carbon/kevlar boats are $3500 to $6000+.
Respective weights are 75 lbs, 55 lbs, 45 lbs, and 30 lbs, to do the same job.

My daughter was fishing with a $100 kids paddle, weighed only 23 oz with glass blades, but she kayaks way too aggressively for the kids paddle.
I bought her a $350 carbon paddle, weighs 28 oz., but feels much much lighter than the kids paddle, because the carbon blades feel weightless, and the moment (torsion load on your arms and wrists) truly is much lower.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have always been partial to the Old Towne Discovery series, the only problem being their weight. My Dad has a Wenonah Kevlar that is nice but expensive. I once tried an Old Town Penobscot 16 and it strikes me as the perfect balance between weight and performance. It would get my vote.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/expe ... ot_16.html
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was much younger, the canoe I enjoyed the most for paddling, poling and easy whitewater was a 15' Coleman red rubber duckie.

I could stand up to pole easily enough, and when the water got fast I could tip it on one gunwale, which gave it a LOT of rocker for swinging in/out of eddies & threading rapids.

A good-sized white-tail could fit up front (dressed, of course). :roll:

PLUS, it never got permanently dented or damaged - all for $200 ! :mrgreen:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not mine, but same color and style:
002-58a.jpg
Tractor styled seats are great, but still needs knee pads for getting the most outta the boat. For lake or slow moving water, they're great, could be had with or w/o keel, depending on use. The year after I bought mine, he started offering kevlar hulls, dropped the weight by a 1/3. Business now defunct, I've been looking for a 15' or 16', around 800# capacity. Comfortable seats, and on this model (16') you can manage solo paddling from the front seat facing back. Mine, (18', 1000# cap.), you're still too far back to manage unless you get a LOT of gear up front, but with two folks, it's super. Being glass, they're super easy to repair and quite durable.

Some states don't require registration #s on some boats, CA (IIRC) does for over 16' or doesn't for 16' & under if not self-propelled. Puttin' an outboard might change your classification... gotta check with your state.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Unlike Rusty, I still have my ancient (1972) Grumman 17 foot whitewater canoe. With shoe keel and extra ribs it weighs 81 lb. It takes the heavies quite well in Class I and II whitewater, but unfortunately it hasn't seen the water in a long time. I store it where I see it every day so I occasionally dream about launching it here on the Arkansas River.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Since I can't afford a proper Hawaiian canoe like my dream the Kailua Kanu 'Opae 16 ($4100.00 :o ) I had to settle for a used $500.00 Grumman and bastardize it into my very own suedo-Hawaiian canoe. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

For info the canoe designer, go to you,http://www.youtube.com and type in verlen kruger. To see the canoe, go to http://www.superiorcanoes.com and look at the Superior Expedition sea going canoe.