Boundry Waters 2011!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Boundry Waters 2011!!

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Got back late last week from a 1st trip to the Boundary Waters. Great scenery, great weather, ton's of bugs. Never really felt like a wilderness trip but still a great great place.

More pics can be viewed here:
http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii17 ... rs%202011/

Oh and never, and I mean NEVER trust your GPS!. Upon leaving Sawbill outfitters we intended to stay the night at Ely. Buddy typed in the destination and away we went. Now for those that have never been here all roads in this area are gravel roads. Not a hint of pavement. Off we are on gravel road #1. Turn onto gravel road #2. So on and so on. Until it finally gets down to turn onto 2 track Jeep trail here, ATV trail there and goat path here. Only to end .8 miles away from the highway with a fallen birch across the so called road (Yes, garmin called all of these roads). We had kept going thinkin that it couldn't get worse and yet it did. On the last road I was out in front of the car (2010 Ford Fusion) clearing brush as we went. All the time the GPS saying we were almost there. No place to turn around, no way to go but forward. But in the end, backing out and turning around in the timber is exactly what we had to do. Now that's what I call wilderness!

LK
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Boundry Waters 2011!!

Post by mav »

Great pics. Any more details? Do any fishing? Nice looking canoe!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I will not articulate the exact destination, but if you ask GPS for direction to get from point Y to point Z where I live, it will drive you off a cliff!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'm going there tomorrow. Just about eight mile east of where you were. I've been going up there since '57 before there was such a name. Funny the lakes have been there even longer. The roads are freeways now. People drive cars there now.
I plan on catching a lot of walleyes. I let you know by the weekend.

Owen
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful. Sure looks like a wilderness place. When you said Ely, I thought you meant Wyoming. :shock: And, that is a nice looking canoe. Thanks for the pics. I've got to get out into the woods before I break something. :evil:
Old Law Dawg
Spamtown_.45
Levergunner

Post by Spamtown_.45 »

I haven't been to the BWCA for 2 years and man do I miss it! We have gone in the Mudrow Access to Horse Lake. 4 Lakes, 3 Portages not bad. One year we canoed down the Horse River, and were able to see some pictographs only accessable by canoe. Truly unbelieveable. And the Walleye shore lunch was remarkable.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Beautiful pictures!!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice oics....wish i was there...
I never trust those gps things either...
turn right....turn left....recalculating route....ahhhh shut up!

wouldnt it be a lot more fun if the thing said....
you idiot...your going the wrong way!

dont you know how to drive....
Ive got to pee....

darn thing sound like my wife!

+95 today here in florida
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Beautiful 8) i`ve lived in north central MN all my life and never been there :oops: i must be crazy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

mav wrote:Great pics. Any more details? Do any fishing? Nice looking canoe!
Ahhhh the Canoe, Sweet ride it was. It's also a rental from Sawbill outfitters. Between my buddy and I we have 2 canoes, 4 kayaks and I also have 2 pirogues but renting the canoe accomplished a couple things.
1) it enabled us to drive a car that got 35 mpg instead of my truck or minivan. The savings in gas off set some of the $35/day cost of rental.
2) My canoe is a 16' royalex(fancy plastic) river style boat perfectly at home in swift waters and weighs in around 65lbs. I've never even laid eyes on my buddy's but it's an older fiberglass with an unknown layup. The rental was a 17' Bell kevlar tripper that weighed in at 43lbs. Much nicer for carrying and paddling on the lakes.

The canoe was the only gear we used not our own. We went in on Kawishiwa Lake on Sat. Morning (Transport supplied by Sawbill outfitters) At around 40deg. it was coldest morning of the trip. Kiwishiwa is the 10th busiest entry point in the BW and we saw folk coming and going all day. After 4 or 5 portages we arrived at Polly. Nice lake (picture #1) and the caught a couple decent fish with limited fishing but there was a pretty good crowd so on Day 2 we headed farther in and after another 3 or 4 portages we got to Phoebe. Some folk already there and the only campsites left we not the best and out of the wind. Wind = less mosquitos = I like a little wind. After a couple hours of messin around we decided to head on to Grace (2 short portages away). Beautiful lake, nice campsite and we spent all of day 3 and 2 nights there. Fishing sucked unless you like catching 8" smallmouth. Day 4 we humped the gear over a mile long portage to Beth (picture #2). My favorite lake of the trip. Smaller and very pretty, had it all to ourselves with the exception of a couple boats passing thru. Again, fishing stunk. Day 5 and on to Alton (1/2 mile portage). From what we had heard it had good fishing with fish being good sized. Must have been an off day, didn't catch a dang thing nor did anyone else. This lake is only 1 short portage and 1/2 hour paddle from Sawbill outfitters so around noon we set out to get some goodies (pop and munchies) and then returned to set around camp and fished the day away. We had planned on leaving the next morning but around 5 the clouds rolled in and the weather radio called for showers. Lets see? Fishing sucks, it's gonna rain. Do we stay another night just to sleep in the rain and pack up wet gear in the morning or leave early, pack up dry gear and sleep in a dry soft bed? We packed up, doused the fire and headed home. The last pic is at the last portage between Alton and Sawbill. BTW, Alton and Sawbill were pretty busy too. Sawbill is the third busiest entry point in the BW.

LK

Added info: We did the trip in 5 days/4 nights. It's really a 3 day trip unless the fish are biting and doable in 2 days/1 night if you like to go hard.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

When I go up, I usually I go to the lakes just on the outside of the Boundry. Way less people, and better fishing. It's very silly how the name " Boundry Waters" attracts people.
I use a aluminum canoe, 75 lbs. and I don't eat freeze dried food. I portage to get to a fishing lake and not to make a loop. It's my back yard. I'd like to go there when I get the time or see good weather. I can't go and stay without a reservation. It has turned into a motel, not a real wilderness. I've even seen tags on trees, telling you what they are.
It's not what it used to be. It used to be a wilderness.

Owen
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That sounds like a great trip. I went with our Boy Scout troop (Troop 61, Chanute AFB, Rantoul , IL) back during summer of 1965. We used Bill Rome's (sp?) Canoe Country Outfitters, Ely. We earned the 50 Miler Award (leather patch for our rucks and decal for our paddles. We used Grumman aluminum canoes, wooden paddles, canvas tents. We saw the Indian pictographs. The fishing was absolutely incredible. Being 11, I was really too young to go but since my Dad was an assist scoutmaster and drove...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sounds great, even the bad parts.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm from Minny and I've never been to the BWCA which is a crying shame.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Me and my family have been making the trip from Tennessee to Crane Lake, Minn. most summers since I was in high school. We get an outfitter to run us in to the Quetico Provencial Park. A little more money and effort, but much fewer people. There are places back in there that you can almost guarantee you will never see another person. My Uncle from South Mississippi liked it so much he bought a house in Ely!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Just got in from a couple days up there. Wet, but not too buggy. Not much fish, four walleyes and two small mouth. My granson and I had a great time inspite of the weather.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As I understand it, though, U.S. citizens aren't allowed to take handguns with them, and it would be kind of nice to be 'allowed' to do so; are rifles allowed...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Doc, Boundary waters is in US territory, being in Minnesota, Quetico is Canadian, if that was what you were wondering? I've seen some posts on other forums about guys taking their guns in Boundary Waters for protection, plinking, and hunting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Guns + Boundry Waters = perfectly OK. The Ranger at the permit station went out of his way to mention this.

Hightime, glad you had a good trip. We'll be getting a hold of you for future trip ideas and we really really need to get Pitchy out for at least a daytrip.

LK
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Guns + Boundry Waters = perfectly OK. The Ranger at the permit station went out of his way to mention this.

Hightime, glad you had a good trip. We'll be getting a hold of you for future trip ideas and we really really need to get Pitchy out for at least a daytrip.

LK
Appreciate the thought but my health bothers me so much i can`t plan nothin :roll: but would love to see that country someday. :) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I stopped by at Cresent Lake campground. I've stayed there before, but it's better. You can set up a tent at the water's edge. Cresent Lake is just outside the actual paddle only area and you can stay there and travel lite for day trips into most any of the multitude of lake nearby. I'm thinking it is way easier than camping inside the Boundry Waters.
My grandosn and I slept in the back of my Excursion yesterday at Brule. My wife would never go for that.

Owen