OT--Record grizzly, killed, 22 Long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Record grizzly, killed, 22 Long

Post by getitdone1 »

Just read a true story about an Indian girl who shot the world record grizzly with her single-shot rifle using 22 Longs. Not Long Rifle but Longs. Happened in 1953 and at that time this bear was the world record. She shot it in the side of the head, the bear fell, kicked and died. She went up to it and shot it 7-8 times in the head--all her ammo--just to be sure. In Alberta near Lesser Slave Lake.

The next record bear to beat this one was shot in 1965 by Jack Turner. (I've told this story several times here.) The bear charged and Jack shot it in the head with his 30-30. Blowed all the brains out the back of it's head. Bear was within 6 feet of Jack when it fell. British Columbia, 40-50 miles inland from Bella Coola.

I'll agree that in both cases their guns were not the best but it brings-out the great truth, which is, the importance of Shot Placement.

While speaking of shot placement: I recently read a true story of a policeman shooting a guy 5 times with his 357 magnum while the guy shot the policeman one time with his 22. The guy survived, the policeman didn't. Shot placement.

I've read that the PH's in Africa would prefer a client bring a gun they are comfortable with and shoot well rather than a more powerful, hard kicking gun they could not shoot as well. This assumes the smaller gun/cartridge is reasonably adequate. Shot placement.

One last thing that can be learned from the "22 stories" is a 22 is not a toy or even close and can be, and often is, very deadly! Brain shots on farm animals using a 22 makes them drop as though hit by lightening. I've seen it happen.

Don
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT--Record grizzly, killed, 22 Long

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Yup, .22LR popular with both Mossad, and Mafia- quiet but deadly (no fanny burp jokes please).
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

This should be posted on rimfirecentral.com, some of those guys would rather use a pointed stick than try to kill anything bigger than a Chipmunk with a .22. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

This can't be right. I thought the only cartridge able down a ol big ol griz was a 50BMG.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Years ago when my dad used to hunt up in BC for moose he used a native guide. This guide told him he'd shot more animals with a 22LR than anything else. That included griz. I imagine that's because of the price of ammunition. Shot placement and a tall tree can do wonders. :D
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It also shows how ft/lbs are a whole load of baloni :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

getitdone1 wrote: . .

I've Brain shots on farm animals using a 22 makes them drop as though hit by lightening. I've seen it happen.

Don
When I was a young boy, maybe 8-10 or so, I would go with my Dad to help butcher hogs, they would run a pig into a small pen and it was my job to shoot 'em in the forehead with a .22, you had to hit them just exactly right, which I always did, dropped them in their tracks, DRT. Same thing with beef critters.

This was over 60 years ago so dont ask me to remember if it was .22 shorts or longs or long rifles. Only thing I know for sure, it was NOT Walmart Bulk. :D
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

Like Jnyork, back when I was 8 or 10 my Grandpa let me shoot the hog he was going to butcher. Since I had 2 cousins that were a little older than me, looking on, I was really proud that he gave me the shot. Grandpa showed me the spot to hit with the .22 single shot. At the shot the hog fell over on it's side without a sound and kicked a few times. I think it may have been a Long Rifle cartridge. However, we did use lots of Shorts for squirrel.

I've shot several hogs since that day, but none of them are any more vivid in my mind than that one.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

a couple a weeks ago a grizzly was killing cattle up by east glacier park entrance area ranchers were complaining to USF&G and they didnt handle it so somebody used a 22 on it now USF&G are serving warrants on the ranchers but havent found the 22 yet. I know a subsistence hunter off the Rez that tips over moose in NW MT, ancestral hunting grounds, he uses a 62 win 22 he catches a moose in a pond slips a bullet in the lungs when the moose starts feeling poorly it climbs up on the bank lays down and bleeds out that way he doesnt have to go fishing for it. Seen him in action pretty slick way of getting a moose. A 22 is a useful round, by the way theres no caliber or rifle restrictions in MT for big game. danny
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Yeap the lowly .22 long will kill. My Dad still tells the story of during the war going deer hunting with 22s as that was all they had. His cousin Glen took one down with a high neck shot. Missed on the first shot but got it on the second.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I love these posts! Like to see them reprinted in G&A and SHOOTING TIMES. The editors and advertisers would take the bridge :lol:
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

getitdone1 wrote:Just read a true story about an Indian girl who shot the world record grizzly with her single-shot rifle using 22 Longs. Not Long Rifle but Longs. Happened in 1953 and at that time this bear was the world record. She shot it in the side of the head, the bear fell, kicked and died. She went up to it and shot it 7-8 times in the head--all her ammo--just to be sure. In Alberta near Lesser Slave Lake.
Don
There are pictures of Bella Twin and the bear's skull here:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=2MM ... ly&f=false
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Let me be clear that I am not suggesting we sell our centerfire rifles and buy the best 22--for use on everything.

Very often the bullet hits a less than optimum spot on the animal. If that animal is one that "bites back" you want the biggest, meanest gun you can handle well. When hunting medium to large game, whether brain, neck, shoulder or heart/lungs--make mine centerfire.

I've never experienced a charge from any animal but I can imagine how difficult the shot would often be. That head, and body, bobbing up and down as it approaches. Expect in most cases you'd be better served with a shoulder shot from a big gun. Break it down and then finish it.

86er and others here know a lot more about charging animals, and how to deal with them, than I do.

Don
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

A number of years ago some downstate "kids" stole a car and a 9mm handgun, drove up one of our county roads and parked with a white towel hanging out the driver's window. The young "lady" who accompanied them sat on the hood while her accomplices waited in the weeds. A young lad stopped to help and got shot 8 or 9 times for trying to be a good Samaritan. He was a beefy lad, having grown up on a farm, and was able to absorb all the shots and survive. The "kids" got free room and board for a lengthy time courtesy of the state.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Obviously it works! However, I bet there isnt one individual that ever shot a bear that wasnt cussin up a storm at that time "WISHIN HE HAD BROUGHT A BIGGER GUN"!!!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Bruce Scott wrote: There are pictures of Bella Twin and the bear's skull here:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=2MM ... ly&f=false
I like the photographers quote: "She was dressed very simply. When she thought I was going to take her picture she said 'No, I have to go home first.' And she came back with a dress, and put some corn starch on her face for makeup. I said 'Bella Twin, you looked much better before.'" :D

Not bad shooting at all for a 63 year old grandma. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A .22 does kill but the fact remains that it has to hit soft tissue and then somehow penetrate to hit the vitals. Any hit on solid bone is just gonna pi^# 'em off or knock 'em out for a short time. My inlaws have been butchers since the turn of the century (the one before the latest :D ) and the .22 is all they ever used. On the really big bulls, my father-in-law would break out the .22 mag, used in a 22 Marlin Levermatic. I've seen many big heads of cattle shot with the .22 and thats all it does is knock 'em out so the butcher can slice their throats. You can see the big globs of blood pumping out in spurts out of their necks until the blood pressure drops.

There is a soft spot between and slightly above their eyes that does allow a bullet to enter but I've never stayed around long enough to see if it really killed as the throat slicing was immediately performed after the shot.

Just go out and shoot a .22 short,long, or lr in a block of wood and see how far it penetrates and then come back and tell us if you think your well armed. :wink: -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If your in the woods and all you have is a .22 (heck ya gotta use it, better than fist-a-cuffs vs big paws/claws/teeth) :lol:

Myself,in the woods where there is Grizz or Mt Lions :shock: (Not!) I want something big enough as saying "got your back bro)

Them boogers sometimes come a running real fast for ya bouncing up and down, and I cant shoot good while screaming(Oh, well lets just say shoot on here)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

It aint a 22 but...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I had an 'uncle' that killed hundreds of dear with the .22 Auto during the Depression.

I recall reading that one of the largest grizzlies ever killed fell to a Canadian Indian woman who was attacked while gathering firewood. She split its skull with her little hatchet.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BAGTIC wrote:I had an 'uncle' that killed hundreds of dear with the .22 Auto during the Depression.

I recall reading that one of the largest grizzlies ever killed fell to a Canadian Indian woman who was attacked while gathering firewood. She split its skull with her little hatchet.

BAGTIC,

I've written here about Ralph Edwards killing 50 grizzlies and then stopped counting. (35 Rem) His daughter Trudy chased a non-to-friendly moose off with nothing but an axe. Is that spunky?

Don
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Forget gun and caliber. Next time I'm in grizzly country...I'll just take an indian girl with me! ;)

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

Those .22/grizz stories are interesting and incredible. That being said, in the spring and fall, while sneaking around the border in NW Montana, I'll still have my chopped guide gun loaded with Garretts 540's,makes me feel better. :mrgreen: