OT threads and J Miller

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT threads and J Miller

Post by J Miller »

When I lived in AZ the only requirement for me to go shooting was gas in my vehicle. It was less than a dollar a gallon then. I could go to ranges if I chose and did occasionally. The best range in the world as far as I'm concerned was the Black Canyon Gun Range. Now called the Ben Avery Gun Range :roll: When I left AZ they were charging $4.00 per day to shoot. 7yds to 200yds on the normal range, and there was a 1000 yd range available by appointment I think.
Most of the time though I just went out in the desert and shot to my hearts content. I had maybe a dozen spots I could go to and sometimes hit them all in the same day scarfing brass. Lots of fun and shooting then.

Since moving here I've been restricted to indoor ranges and one outdoor range almost 50 miles away. The gun clubs in this area are either incredibly expensive or they won't answer their phones.
Over the last 5 years I've lost interest in the indoor ranges. The least expensive is, or was last year, $8.00 per hour to shoot at. The other was was $9.00. The outdoor range is $15.00 per day.

When I started on the internet forums 11 years ago I was fresh from AZ. I had a lot of shooting under my belt and my knowledge was fresh.
Now after 11 years in hell I have all but stopped shooting. The cost of fuel and range time making it all but prohibitive.

I have shooting projects that have been sitting for years and no interest in finishing them. Sights to fix, holes to drill or have drilled. A barrel to swap. And ammo tests as well. I just cannot afford to pay the gas and range fees any more.

To add to this insult, my wife's income has dropped by 65% since Obama stole the presidency. Sorry to make a political comment, but this is a FACT, not a conspiracy. I fell down the steps in this and a previous house and have messed myself up big time. Then I add to that misery by falling off my bike and injuring myself. I need to go see the MD for my leg. It has swollen and won't go down, but there's no money to go. I'll probably drop over dead because of this.

Now, this post sounds like I'm whining even as I keyboard it, but that is not my intention. I've said the above to explain why I post so many OT posts. I have nothing shooting related that's fresh to talk about. If someone asks a question I know something about I'll post an answer. Or if I come up with a question I'll post it.

For the most part though I just post things I am doing here to keep in touch. It's either that, or just turn the forums off and walk away. I doubt if anybody would miss me, but I've not gotten to that point yet.

So, bear with me, and when I get out shooting I'll post on it. Until then I'll talk about things that happen here.
That is ... unless you want me to just turn off the computer and walk away.

Oh, I have another OT post coming up. Stand by ........

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT threads and J Miller

Post by stew71 »

Bummer deal, Joe. Sounds like you need to move outta Illinois and back to Arizona.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Don't fell bad Joe if its not work related I don't get out much to shoot either. Hence my OT posts. Hopefully I can change that once we get setteled into our new place.

For me I rather enjoy your input and if you bailed I would miss ya.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Joe , look at the new posts- close to 50% r not gun related. But does that make them not interesting ? I say not. This morning was My first actual real post in a while,normally when I Buy a Gun or 2 or 3. Am I Rambling- yep. I suppose if U turned Ur computer off We couldn't stop U but that wouldn't make Us any less Grevious over Ur absence.
Sounds like U maybe should take it a little easier & watch where Ur goin.
I have an OT post coming but have to get My fingers limbered.
Please don't GO Joe, I"ll read Ur Posts. :cry:
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Stew, and all,

We know we need and want to move back to AZ or west: BUT IT TAKES MONEY, LOTS OF IT. We have no place to move to, no jobs to move to, and no cash to do the move.
Neither of us have enough things to sell that might bring the cash in to do it.
My wife's best friend moved back to AZ about a year ago. She ended up living with her daughter and hates it. Her comment to my wife was: that she regretted not having a job lined up before she moved back. Now she's working for her brother and isn't happy there either.

We have NOBODY, repeat NOBODY that can help us move. So......we're stuck here until a miracle happens.

Unless you can provide us with:
A: A place to move to.
B: Employment.
C: A miracle.
D: All of the above.

Please don't tell us we need to move.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I don't know the dates involved, but if its any time in the 70s or 80s, the relative cost doesn't count until you put in this program to see what that is in today's money
http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

I still go to outdoor ranges, where they charge per weapon, and not for time.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Hey Joe, I'd miss ya too. A little better in my part of Illinois, not good mind ya, just a bit better. I live in a rural area, I'm able to shoot out the back door if I want to shoot up close (50yds and in), and I belong to a range thats only 'bout 10mi or so. Berms at 15, 25, 50, 100 and 200yds. Covered rifle range with concrete benchs. Can shoot year round, 8AM to dark, except when their holding a trap match. All at the cost of $25 a year for membership. Still can't shoot as much as I like. I know, I know, don't mean to rub it in, but Springfield sucks in every way I look at it.

Edited to add: Just a thought, maybe a bit closer move, instead of across the country. Jobs and housing should be easier to research and moving expense less. We would welcome ya down here and the job market is improving. A big expansion of the Continentel tire plant in the Mt. Vernon Il area will add 4-500 new jobs. These are all pretty good jobs if you can put up with all shifts and weekend work. And Missouri and Indiana are both far better to live in than Ill. If I wasn't sitting on a couple of hundred acres with family nearby, I'd look real hard at Missouri.
Last edited by ceb on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Did I miss why you moved from AZ in the first place? :? I can't remember. Go to a free clinic and speak spanish....No, make up a language and act grumpy when they don't understand you.... :idea: Where there is a will there is a way...I kid thee not, Bro.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Keep 'em coming Joe, I read 'em all. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine,

We moved back here because of my family. My Uncle and cousin I hadn't seen since I was a tiny child convinced us to move back home. Biggest mistake either of us ever made. They promptly died, both of them and the rest of the family has totally ostracized us since then.

Joe
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:Did I miss why you moved from AZ in the first place? :? I can't remember. Go to a free clinic and speak spanish....No, make up a language and act grumpy when they don't understand you.... :idea: Where there is a will there is a way...I kid thee not, Bro.
Best advice I've heard!

My sister headed off to Pheonix with nothing but a used car and a credit card ( and a degree in foregin language). Thought she was crazy but she landed a good job and worked her way up and up and now she's in Australia working for a large corp and making big $.

All it takes is some motivation.

Get online and search the help wanted's for AZ and NM for what ever you're looking for.
There's jobs out there. You just have to look.

After I was divorced I did a search for a social worker position out west and came up with
several possibles. then met Blondie and that changed my financial requirements. Had to stick to the
big $ in sales to be able to afford this wonderful woman and her two boys.
There are some days that I wish I dissapeared into the open spaces but when I wake up every morning looking at
that beautiful face I remember why I do what I do.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:We know we need and want to move back to AZ or west: BUT IT TAKES MONEY, LOTS OF IT. We have no place to move to, no jobs to move to, and no cash to do the move. Neither of us have enough things to sell that might bring the cash in to do it.
Instead of feeling imprisoned in Illinois, you should read a few issues of Countryside Journal (available on-line, too). Those folks are moving out and off the grid with NO money and often are NOT young and/or healthy. They are today's homesteaders, and they do things 'the old fashioned way', instead of just reading about them and wishing. Seriously, it sounds like you're trapped in a slowly-deteriorating situation, and you can either just stay there and suffer it out, hoping for some 'miracle', OR you can get hold of the reins and take the horse-of-life where YOU want to go.

Really, read Countryside magazine http://www.countrysidemag.com/ and get inspired. If you want to subscribe to the hard-copy version, PM me your address if you don't have the $$, and I'll gift you a subscription. Other people ARE doing it, and doing it with sometimes no more than a couple hundred bucks and what they can fit in the trunk of their car. My luck you'll get an issue with some story about a trust-fund yuppie who built a mansion on the mountain, and think I'm making it all up, but you needn't stay trapped where you're miserable.

Life is already short enough, without wasting years, months, or even very many days, feeling trapped and unhappy. You CAN do it. You have to have only three things - your mind, a supportive spouse, and the determination. You've got the first two, and once you clear the hurdle of just deciding you ARE going to do it, it will be done. The sooner the better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I guess Joe missed my post where I said my new goal is to get Joe in shape to cut a pickup FULL of firewood without taking a break.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Where I live I've got two outdoor ranges to go to... each one is a seventy mile round trip more or less... There's one indoor range seven miles away which I abor.. Shooters have access to the lights and the exhaust fans and the fools like to keep fans off and about half of the lights on... I've been there twice... both times some Jackass will come along & turn off the fans... get huffy when I politely remind about lead dust and toxic powder fumes.. Last time I went I came back with a tickle in my throat and a dry cough that lasted a day...I get all that fun for a mere $9 bucks an hour...One outdoor range charges $11 dollars an hour the other is $15 a day... I go for the $15 dollar one...But I guess I'm a fair weather shooter and like to keep it simple...cause when its cold or rainy.. I find myself here at this box thats got my friends in it reading OT subjects :lol: more often than tweaking on a gun of some sort :?
Now when a fella gets along into to middle age and is looking for work... Don’t worry age discrimination is against the law ;).....But is advised not to list he’s a VN vet on his resume because it will date him... not list any experience from the 80s & 90s for the same reasons...is now overweight...(all they see is a walking heart attack)& hasn’t worked for better than a year...is now competing with younger and in some cases with degreed folks that got bounced when the bubble burst (to include Phds) who are out there scratching the same clerk job @ Wally World you are....Just pick up & move??...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Our real home isn`t on this earth anyway Joe and we feel what your feeling but we have to hang in there and keep faith that God is in control and knows what we need more than we do.
I`ve been trying to move from here for years but we end up back here for some reason that only God could understand.
I`ve found that by trusting God that everywhere we went and had problems He made a way to keep us going and safe. Things are going to hell fast in the world and it wouldn`t surprise me if it gets worse before it gets better so put your mind on God and family and prepare the best ya can.
As far as off topic threads i think it`s great, at least that way the board don`t come to a crawl like some other boards i`ve seen when people get clickish or think ya can only talk about one thing. We`re all in a pinch now and are doing what ever we can to stay busy and contribute to the board in any way we can. I`m sure there are some that don`t like the OT threads but they`ll get over it and when something gun related happens to us less fortunate we`ll post it.
Hang tough bro we`re all in the mess together and rely on each other to keep us positive and sane. :)
Last edited by Pitchy on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:I guess Joe missed my post where I said my new goal is to get Joe in shape to cut a pickup FULL of firewood without taking a break.
Ummm, yeah I missed that one.
I will say one thing though. If I ever cut up a pickup full of firewood it's gonna be MY pickup and wood for MY fire place.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That's a start Joe.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Where I live I've got two outdoor ranges to go to... each one is a seventy mile round trip more or less... There's one indoor range seven miles away which I abor.. Shooters have access to the lights and the exhaust fans and the fools like to keep fans off and about half of the lights on... I've been there twice... both times some Jackass will come along & turn off the fans... get huffy when I politely remind about lead dust and toxic powder fumes.. Last time I went I came back with a tickle in my throat and a dry cough that lasted a day...I get all that fun for a mere $9 bucks an hour...One outdoor range charges $11 dollars an hour the other is $15 a day... I go for the $15 dollar one.
Hmmm I never realized how GOOD I have it !

My club costs $150 (if you own stock ,which I do) a YEAR and is about 6 miles away . We have outdoor 300 meter rifle/silhouette range , 100 yard rifle range , 50 yard pistol range , 3 trap fields , 3 skeet fields and a wobble trap as well as a heated and air conditioned clubhouse with a full kitchen !
Lets see non stock holders pay $175 a year , oh the trap/skeet fields are lighted and you can shoot until 10 PM . On the other ranges we shoot from 8AM until dark .
We have almost 300 acres that are available for hunting in season for deer , bear , turkey , squirrels , rabbits and game birds as long as you're a member or a members family and with them .

I would say I use the facilities at this club maybe 100 times a year so I suppose you can say it costs me $1.50 each time I go !

I belong to a one field skeet club about 60 miles from where I live that costs me $50 a year and we only have 40 members there . I joined that one just because I liked the people and maybe shoot these 5-10 times a year .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

AJMD429 wrote: in Illinois, you should read a few issues of Countryside Journal (available on-line, too). Those folks are moving out and off the grid with NO money and often are NOT young and/or healthy. They are today's homesteaders, and they do things 'the old fashioned way', instead of just reading about them and wishing. Seriously, it sounds like you're trapped in a slowly-deteriorating situation, and you can either just stay there and suffer it out, hoping for some 'miracle', OR you can get hold of the reins and take the horse-of-life where YOU want to go.
I second this advice! Countryside is a great magazine and it is neat to see how people have done what they have, usually with little or no money. My wife has tried for the last few years to get me to write up our own story about how we ended up on our little homestead in the middle of the woods offgrid and durned near nestled next to the Garden of Eden :D The single Mothers with little money and a pittance of a job get more done than I ever have simply from necessity. I just about wear the ink off all the pages by the time I get done with an issue. Unless my wife gets to it first and we have to duke it out.. :lol:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Chris LeDoux said something about a $5.00 fine....
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,
You sound like one depressed dude!
First, dont leave and second I find your post interesting.I think varied topics aids in getting to know each other as best we can on an internet type environment.
Your goal must continue to be towards eventually(when able any how/any way)to get out where you are and to the country.
I know for a fact this would change your whole life and your wifes.
Even starting out working some basic type agriculture work maybe driving a big tractor all day(or part of a day)even if its for Room/Board and the bare things needed to scratch a living.
Just dont give up and know we are honestly wishing you guys well and hope you make it.
Hang in there and never quit.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add...

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate that the "Off Topic" posts are one of the GOOD things about this forum; it keeps it from getting 'stale' or seldom-traveled like some of the other 'specialty' forums, where there just isn't much posting activity, despite lots of membership.

Most of us have at least some interest in 'related' things tangential to leverguns, like SA revolvers, so those posts are most likely of interest to the majority of members, but even less-related things like welding, old trucks, fishing reels, military history, and so-on are probably of interest to at least a third of us, and sometimes generate new interest in areas we'd otherwise not venture into.

A typical thing might be 'welding' - if I wanted to know a welding question, I would ask HERE and not go find a 'welding forum', because most likely the 'welding forum' would be full of know-it-alls-who-don't-really-know-it-all (and I'd be too much of a novice to realize not to take their advice), folks who are more interested in telling me how smart they are about welding than answering my questions, or folks who would ridicule any project or equipment that wasn't state-of-the-art. In contrast, I know lots of guys here have done welding professionally, on the farm, or whatever, and will give me a practical and honest answer, without the theater and drama.

And also, sometimes the "OT" posts are just interesting, or funny, or spiritually uplifting.

The only posts I think need 'separated' are the 'political' ones (and I realize sometimes threads become political after they get going, and try to put ones I think could go that way IN 'political' - sorry Hobie for when I mess up :wink: ), and then the 'classified' ones I guess automatically vaporize after a certain time, which makes sense to save server space.

Keep posting, Joe - "OT" or not. . . but if you are ever posting from a laptop while you're wife is driving the moving-truck out of Illinois, THAT will be the best post of all. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Keep posting Joe. I'm finding many of the OT threads very interesting and/or entertaining. And, as many have said, it keeps the forum rolling along.

Sorry to hear about your lack of ranges. After driving through your state, I understand why the ranges are all inside. Its so flat you never know when the bullet is gonna stop. I hope something comes up soon for you...a new range or a new home. Please, try to stay upright, unless you're sitting down.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Off or on-topic, Joe, I read your posts. And yes, if you turned off the computer... I'd just call you with a "chain-call"! :P :P :P Kiddin' aside, you're one of the "characters" that makes this forum what it is. Between you and Blaine, I'm goin' to get at least ONE smile in for the day!

Rest that leg uphill from your heart for a couple of days... ice it down as much as you can stand, then, forget the bike for a few weeks, take some walks first, around the block, then around 2, 3, 5 or 10... THEN get on the bicycle and try for a mile, then 2, then 5 then 10... and by the end of the summer you'll be amazed at the increase in your stamina, lowering of your blood pressure and general overall good health... you're still young, h-e-double hockey sticks... I AM and we know how much older I am than you!

Don't get discouraged... that's the enemy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:Off or on-topic, Joe, I read your posts. And yes, if you turned off the computer... I'd just call you with a "chain-call"! :P :P :P Kiddin' aside, you're one of the "characters" that makes this forum what it is. Between you and Blaine, I'm goin' to get at least ONE smile in for the day!

Rest that leg uphill from your heart for a couple of days... ice it down as much as you can stand, then, forget the bike for a few weeks, take some walks first, around the block, then around 2, 3, 5 or 10... THEN get on the bicycle and try for a mile, then 2, then 5 then 10... and by the end of the summer you'll be amazed at the increase in your stamina, lowering of your blood pressure and general overall good health... you're still young, h-e-double hockey sticks... I AM and we know how much older I am than you!

Don't get discouraged... that's the enemy.
OK, now I'm gonna show you just how brain dead I am. I'd forgotten about the elevated leg and ice thing. Duh ..... Mr smarty ain't very right now.

Oh and just cos your hair is grayer and your guns shoot smoky stuff, and mine isn't and don't, doesn't make you older.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

What kind of job field would you need to work in here in Tucson Joe?

And I don't mind the OT posts at all! I enjoy your opinions and insights.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Joe if you fall off the bicycle make sure to get right back on.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

hey joe i like your posts there all a good read. madman 45-70 advice on ag. jobs could be fuel for thought, Ill. has lots of it & the farmers seem to be short of seasonal help, take a trip in the country & talk to a few guys, even if ya dont know farming a man can tell if ya have any
common sense & that goes a long way with most folks & maybe you
could find a back 40 to shoot on , its out there Joe

ollogger
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

olyinaz wrote:What kind of job field would you need to work in here in Tucson Joe?

And I don't mind the OT posts at all! I enjoy your opinions and insights.

Best,
Oly
+1 to all, and I'll keep my eyes open in the Phoenix area. I too enjoy your OT and gun stuff!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I hear ya Joe and can relate 100%. (edited) I apologize for my OT posts but currently that's all I have to offer too.
Hang in there Joe.

Sorry Joe, didn't mean to hijack the thread. :roll:
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, how can hearing from friends be anything but good? I appreciate the ability to yak about anything here...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oly, gak,
I PM'd both of you a response.

Ji,
I understand about the trolls. New or old, they can be a pain in the neck. I've been on gun forums since 2000 and have gotten to the point I ignore them.
This forum has a way to block people who bug you so you don't see their posts too. I tried it once and it actually works.
This being in places where we can't do what we used to do and want to do is emotionally draining. Especially when the ability to get back to were you want to be is not there. Hang in there and don't leave us again. I for one missed your posts a lot.

Blaine,
Agreed. I was just a bit out of it when I started this post. I really didn't have any intentions of leaving the forum and made that comment in an attempt to be tongue in cheek. As usual I failed at that.
I should know better by now.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
You have a job when I get the cabinet shop running again.
The sticking point is I don't want to travel to install, so unless arraingements can be made for an installtion crew , I 'm not going to go there.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Move back to Calif. by way of Ancestry.com you have just discovered that your real name is Tyrone Raynisha Gonzales and your father was a cross dressing democrat - there are programs for everything you through one of the govt levels here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

LOL. :lol:

Keep the suggestions coming Doc. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

Mr Miller - do NOT stop posting. :cry: :cry:

I for one would miss your knowledge, experience and expertise. You are of significant value to everyone that is a member or casual reader of this forum and you, whether you know it or not, have helped me personally with many questions and issues with your on-topic or off-topic posts.

Looking forward to you next! :D :D
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I hear ya Joe and can relate 100%. I originally became a forum member in 2003. Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of my Dad's passing and my life has changed 100% since that day. On Maui I hunted or went shooting on a weekly basis and had income to invest in firearms and reloading supplies. Now I'm on O'ahu island flat broke with no place or desire to shoot, and no money to even fly back to Maui to visit. My last reloading was in preparation for the Texas Leverguns Safari, and the last time I fired a gun was in Texas at that Leverguns Safari which was back in February of 2008. I previously have had my OT posts attacked by nOObie trolls on a few occasions with full immunity which made me realize it was not worth the effort being here so I left for a couple years. I'm back temporarily to test the waters, and so far the trolls have lied quiet but if their behavior is tolerated then it is condoned, and I see no reason to put up with that sort of BS if/when it arises again. I apologize for my OT posts but currently that's all I have to offer too.
Hang in there Joe.
I'd like to know of those instances as that's news to me. Your posts are always interesting as noted by my responses.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I remember the incident Hobie........ most unpleasant.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:I remember the incident Hobie........ most unpleasant.
Could you please PM me about it? I think, because of when Ji left, that I was out of town and not on the forum at the time this went on.

Joe, you keep on posting. Remember, "Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely." With, of course, the exception now for political and religious discussion.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Professor, I'd hate to have you leave. I read all your posts even if I don't post on them. We've had a number of ole timers leave because of a couple of newb's that couldn't keep their tongue in check. Glad to see Ji's back. At least every now and then. Then there's ScottT. Just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head that left because of dipsticks. We don't need anymore leavin'. We just need to run them other fellars off.
Old Law Dawg
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bless you, brother Kim.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'll take all the blessings I can get, but I didn't say anything that shouldn't of been said.
Old Law Dawg
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
And a pox upon me for not saying it myself!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook wrote:Professor, I'd hate to have you leave. I read all your posts even if I don't post on them. We've had a number of ole timers leave because of a couple of newb's that couldn't keep their tongue in check. Glad to see Ji's back. At least every now and then. Then there's ScottT. Just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head that left because of dipsticks. We don't need anymore leavin'. We just need to run them other fellars off.
ScottT
Junior
Wind
OD
SteveB

Just to name a few. There have been several others that left or just don't post much any more.

As for me, like I said above: "I was just a bit out of it when I started this post. I really didn't have any intentions of leaving the forum and made that comment in an attempt to be tongue in cheek. As usual I failed at that.
I should know better by now."

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

J Miller wrote:......I doubt if anybody would miss me,......Joe
I am careful not to correct my seniors :wink: , but I do believe you are wrong about that.

Arizona is a great place. The people I met there were the most civil I have EVER met.

There is probably still room for at least another couple of folks.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Well know you wanna get away from Illinois,when and if you do LaCrosse, WI has great range 25 miles away and over 100 miles of bicycle trails. not counting the ones that go by the colleges there. Duluth and Brainerd both have over 125 miles of paved biccycle trails and ATV trail that connect to over 350 miles of scenery. Plus plenty of spaces to shoot.Heck if Pitchy subdivided his land probably could have a 100 yard range of your own :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JeffH,
:D

3leggedturtle,
I don't think Pitchy's neighbors would be able to stand the fire fight that would erupt if he and I got together. :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

If those colleges are anything like ASU in Tempe, AZ certain times of the year are bikini and sun bathing times. I should avoid them then, not sure my heart could stand the excitement :P :P

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am in Phoenix now Joe,
and yes, the skin parade is in full swing.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:I am in Phoenix now Joe,
and yes, the skin parade is in full swing.
darn! :P :P

(It's raining here ... again. Third day in a row so far. If this keeps up this part of the country is going to turn into a rain forest.)

Joe
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Mr.Miller.....been following this tread for awhile and have thought about posting and held off, so, my prayers go out to you and your family. Back in '05 I had a PE that almost killed me. Finally went back to work and after a couple of years I just couldn't do the job I had held for 31 years. Doc said retire or die. The past three years have been a down hill slide into the abyss. Went from being active to being a crippled up depressed man just going through the motions. Can't walk much and then only for a short distance with a cane. Don't get to hunt or shoot much if at all. Broke is an understatement....bride of 34 years had to return to work at age 52.....finally had a good friend look me in the eye and tell me: "Get some help now...." Easy to hear....hard to do. That was my first step to healing up....Struggle everyday and always will.....identified myself way too much with the vocation and not the real gifts......wife, son, dil, grandchildren, friends and Church.....don't know you sir or your background (except to enjoy your posts) but the economy in Texas is pretty good and there are some jobs to be had.....might not be high paying but rural Texas is pretty affordable....realize it takes $$$ to relocate......I could probably squeeze out a few bucks to help out....DO NOT GIVE UP....please....

rick