Re: 240gr XTP velocity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

Hey fellas,

I just picked up a Ruger Bisley Hunter - great gun. I've been loading up some of the .44 mag 240gr XTP's at around 1100fps. I wanted a .41 mag but was talked into the .44 - seems like a good choice. Do you all think this would make a good deer load? I suspect I won't shoot past 50 yds.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've never fiddled much with their .44 bullets but I am real pleased with their 250 for the .45 Colt.

Shot into water jugs...

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really love the XTPs. Use them in my muzzle loader with sabots and get excellent results. Have recovered many bullets from white-tails and they look just like the ones in the pictures posted above. Oh yeah, my ML has a Green Mountain bullet barrel. I keep some loaded in 44-40s for use in the 92 and even some with a case full fffg and the 240 grain which I have used in the 73 to kill a white-tail.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

MD requires 700 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, that load is 52FP shy. Tilt your chrony a bit or tilt the can a bit more, or just read those velocities over 1150 fps. I dont know your barrel length, but those on the priveleged towers in MD also require 6" barrels on handguns for deer hunting. Just wanted to prepare you before you talked to your DNRP in the field. Seems a bit silly, for instance my Redhawk 45 colt can generate 1100 FP but iys only a 5 1/2" barrel so is ineligible for deer. Your Bisley had ought to be more than adequate for any whitetail in the state, as long as the hole is appied properly. Enjoy it.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've had good luck with the XTP; it's one of my favorites. I think that it is a good choice for deer, at least for Kansas white tails. I've had good results with the 240 but I prefer the 300 in my .44 Mag Super Blackhawk and in my .444 Marlin.

I have also used XTP bullets in 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Special and 45ACP. It's been accurate in all of these calibers.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

damienph wrote:I've had good luck with the XTP; it's one of my favorites. I think that it is a good choice for deer, at least for Kansas white tails. I've had good results with the 240 but I prefer the 300 in my .44 Mag Super Blackhawk and in my .444 Marlin.

I have also used XTP bullets in 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Special and 45ACP. It's been accurate in all of these calibers.
Agreed. This is consistent with my experience and the combination of inherent accuracy and reliable, controlled expansion over a wide range of velocities makes the XTP very, very hard to beat.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

XTPs are my go to bullet in handguns when I am not shooting cast. They are in my 45ACP loads for serious social encounters also. I load the 240gr 44cal it a bit over 1200fps in my Smith and have taken 4 deer with them. No DRTs but they didnt go far, less than 100 feet, and no second shots needed. Works great on western Kansas white tails.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

They work great out of my SuperBlackHawk Bisley with a 4-5/8" barrel at 1200fps. However they are AWESOME out of my Marlin 1894P (16.5" barrel) at 1600fps (same load). :D 9 times out of 10 I get a bang/flop with the Marlin out to 100yards. 1200fps should be no problem with the 7.5" barrel of your Bisley Hunter, even with fairly mild loads.

Have fun and enjoy! Thanks, Tom
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I've shot deer with 240 gr XTPs out of a couple of SBHs back when I shot SBHs and hunted more. My loads used 2400 at about 1300 fps (actual chronographed) in a 7.5" barrel. I thought recoil in those revolvers (I rather miss them) was fine, and the load worked very well. The one bullet I recovered was nicely mushroomed, just like the pictures in the ads.
I'd go forth and be content.
Last edited by jerry b on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Spice em up a tad more and they will perform really well.

In .45, the 250 really comes into it's own at 1250-1300 fps. I expect the .44 240 will also. My acid test was to get em to expand when passing through a ripe tomato. A big ole tomato will vanish when hit by a .45 250 at 1300 fps, and a cardboard witness behind will have a hole showing expansion..... In water jugs, they give a perfect mushroom.
Certified gun nut
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Here you find more input and happy users of the Hornady XTP 240grs. bullets:
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthr ... #Post78668
If you see what kind of animals Lynn Thompson hunted with the 44 Magnum and XTP 300grs. bullets in Australia, you will be more than happy with your choice..... .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTeEmNUkjw