Got a Real Winchester - But its Not a Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Got a Real Winchester - But its Not a Levergun

Post by COSteve »

My son and I were out last Saturday checking out the area funshops just for grins and really enjoying just being out together. (Now that he's 26, we don't get to see each other that often any more.) Anyway, he's interested in getting an '06 bolt action to go with the Garand we picked up recently.

I was telling him about my first deer rifle, a used Remington 721 in 30-06 with a 4x Weaver scope, I got back in 1961 when I was 14 with my paper route money. While it was fine, I always lusted after my friend's brand new Winchester model 70 in 30-06 with a 4x Leupold scope his dad bought for him.

We stopped by a small funshop that I've only been in a couple of times because they mostly specialize in high end leverguns, engraved Colt pistols, and old military rifles. We asked the young clerk if he has any 06 bolt guns. He says, "We just got this old one in." and hands me a 1950 Winchester Model 70 (s/n 172xxx) with an original model 8, 4x Leupold scope (s/n 02xxx). I'll be darned if it isn't an exact copy of the Winchester I had lusted after as a boy some 50 years ago!

It showed it's age from handling with bluing about 90% on the barrel and trigger guard but showed no rust at all. Sure, it had some built up grime in the corners from just wiping it down and the stock's finish was worn a bit from hauling it around, but the action and bore looked pristine. Obviously it had been carried a lot more than it was shot.

It was absolutely stock with nothing changed from the way it came from Connecticut except the stepped rear sight ladder was missing (it was routinely taken off to keep the rear sight out of the way of the scope). It even still had the front sight hood! The Leupold's black was fading to a goldish color on the top and the knobs and knurled ring were worn, again from age, but the glass was perfect and the scope was clear and rock solid.

I hesitantly asked the young clerk what they wanted for it as they had just gotten it and hadn't even had time to write up a sales tag for it yet. While he talked to the owner, I continued to check it out. The butt plate was original and tight (no recoil pad on this one), the sling swivels were tight, the walnut stock had a few scratches but no cracks or chips, the checkering was even and clean, and it even had a 50 year old leather sling.

The clerk and owner came back over and the owner said he was asking $550.. While I thought it a very fair price, I decided it was worth a try to deal so I countered with $500. I explained that Memorial Day was my son's birthday and I wanted to get him something special but was limited on funds. The owner asked to see my son's license (he looks young for his age) and noticed that in fact, the 30th was his 26th birthday.

He thought for a bit, and said with a big grin, "It's yours for $500 cash out the door." I was surprised because the sales tax rate at the store was 7.6% and he'd just negotiated a price lower than I offered! We shook hands and my son started filling out the paperwork but was so excited that he could hardly write! After a short 15 minute wait for the State OK, the clerk wrapped it up, we thanked him, and started to walk out.

At the door, the owner was standing there with a box of Win 150grn and box of Win 180grn ammo. He said, "Happy birthday. I don't get to see many fine young men who appreciate these old Winchesters over the plastic guns much anymore." and he handed Peter the ammo. After thanking him again for his generosity, we headed home and got ready for a birthday shoot to try it out.

We took it out to our range on his birthday and it shot point of aim at 200 yds with the 150grn Win ammo just like, we assume, it was sighted in some 50 years ago!! He's bringing it back this weekend for another round at our range and I'll try to pry it out of his hands long enough this time to get a couple of pictures so I can show you all his great find.

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I'd share a wonderful experience with my son.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a Real Winchester - But its Not a Levergun

Post by crs »

Very cool post, thanks.

BTW, my first deer rifle was a 1950s Winchester Model 70 featherweight that has the same scope, but it is a .308. I used it so much that a few years back I had the stock refinished and the barrel reblued so that it looked almost new. It has been accurized, magnaported, sports an old Pachmyer pad, and it can still shoot tighter groups than I can usually hold. They are great rifles and if your son enjoys his half as much as I did mine, he will have a blast with it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats to your son! And you... proud poppa!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Post Steve. Can't wait for the pictures. :) .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations to you both, why can't every trip to the "fun shop" be like that one? :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good snag Steve---maybe its "that" Model 70!

I take it that you were at the "Gun Room" in Denver------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Now that's a really cool story. Congratulations to your son.

My dad still has a model 70 in 270 WCF that he's had since I can remember. I've told him I'd like to have it when he no longer needs it. We'll see, I have another brother, but he doesn't hunt. It's one of those special rifles. To me anyway.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is awesome! Are you adopting? :lol: when you get the chance you should get us a pic with the proud new owner :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I like that story! Congrats on a classic
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

well told. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

COSteve wrote:My son and I were out last Saturday checking out the area funshops just for grins and really enjoying just being out together. (Now that he's 26, we don't get to see each other that often any more.) Anyway, he's interested in getting an '06 bolt action to go with the Garand we picked up recently.

I was telling him about my first deer rifle, a used Remington 721 in 30-06 with a 4x Weaver scope, I got back in 1961 when I was 14 with my paper route money. While it was fine, I always lusted after my friend's brand new Winchester model 70 in 30-06 with a 4x Leupold scope his dad bought for him.

We stopped by a small funshop that I've only been in a couple of times because they mostly specialize in high end leverguns, engraved Colt pistols, and old military rifles. We asked the young clerk if he has any 06 bolt guns. He says, "We just got this old one in." and hands me a 1950 Winchester Model 70 (s/n 172xxx) with an original model 8, 4x Leupold scope (s/n 02xxx). I'll be darned if it isn't an exact copy of the Winchester I had lusted after as a boy some 50 years ago!

It showed it's age from handling with bluing about 90% on the barrel and trigger guard but showed no rust at all. Sure, it had some built up grime in the corners from just wiping it down and the stock's finish was worn a bit from hauling it around, but the action and bore looked pristine. Obviously it had been carried a lot more than it was shot.

It was absolutely stock with nothing changed from the way it came from Connecticut except the stepped rear sight ladder was missing (it was routinely taken off to keep the rear sight out of the way of the scope). It even still had the front sight hood! The Leupold's black was fading to a goldish color on the top and the knobs and knurled ring were worn, again from age, but the glass was perfect and the scope was clear and rock solid.

I hesitantly asked the young clerk what they wanted for it as they had just gotten it and hadn't even had time to write up a sales tag for it yet. While he talked to the owner, I continued to check it out. The butt plate was original and tight (no recoil pad on this one), the sling swivels were tight, the walnut stock had a few scratches but no cracks or chips, the checkering was even and clean, and it even had a 50 year old leather sling.

The clerk and owner came back over and the owner said he was asking $550.. While I thought it a very fair price, I decided it was worth a try to deal so I countered with $500. I explained that Memorial Day was my son's birthday and I wanted to get him something special but was limited on funds. The owner asked to see my son's license (he looks young for his age) and noticed that in fact, the 30th was his 26th birthday.

He thought for a bit, and said with a big grin, "It's yours for $500 cash out the door." I was surprised because the sales tax rate at the store was 7.6% and he'd just negotiated a price lower than I offered! We shook hands and my son started filling out the paperwork but was so excited that he could hardly write! After a short 15 minute wait for the State OK, the clerk wrapped it up, we thanked him, and started to walk out.

At the door, the owner was standing there with a box of Win 150grn and box of Win 180grn ammo. He said, "Happy birthday. I don't get to see many fine young men who appreciate these old Winchesters over the plastic guns much anymore." and he handed Peter the ammo. After thanking him again for his generosity, we headed home and got ready for a birthday shoot to try it out.

We took it out to our range on his birthday and it shot point of aim at 200 yds with the 150grn Win ammo just like, we assume, it was sighted in some 50 years ago!! He's bringing it back this weekend for another round at our range and I'll try to pry it out of his hands long enough this time to get a couple of pictures so I can show you all his great find.

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I'd share a wonderful experience with my son.
I hope you repay the store owners kindness by some repeat business. He would have earned mine by what he did!
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Well done Steve.
Thos old Winchesters command a high price here in Australia.
By your description, I would not be suprised to see a price tag near $2000 on that gun if it was at my local gun shop.
Cannot wait to see the pics.
Pop.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great story!!! :D :D :D
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

You just bought the twin of my '06. It's also a Model 70, Dad bought it in '49, I believe, S/N also 172XXX. Near mint condition, with the original sling & sights. Congrats on your gun buying coup--there's no way I'd part with mine for twice that price, even if it wasn't a family heirloom! I know your son will enjoy this fine rifle for the rest of his years.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

very good buy on a desirable rifle.
A great present for your son.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope your son enjoys that rifle for a long, long time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I enjoyed your story Steve. It's great that your son shares your interest in guns. Few of my friends are interested in guns/shooting/hunting and NONE of their kids are. I am meeting my son in two weeks at my mother's house in south Louisiana, for our annual get together. He is going to be 32 later this month and living about a 1000 miles from each other limits our time together. I am bringing my Dad's Garand to give to him.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What a fine gun/scope Steve. Congrats to your son. I am sure he will treasure that.
One thing to keep in mind(let him know)those older model 70,s tend to have their safety become so smooth(easily switched postions) that when being carried say on the back with a sling or even it brushing against his coat etc. it can trip to the fire position.

Just somthing to let him be aware of before an issue arrises. They are a great weapon though!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

damienph wrote:I enjoyed your story Steve. It's great that your son shares your interest in guns. Few of my friends are interested in guns/shooting/hunting and NONE of their kids are. I am meeting my son in two weeks at my mother's house in south Louisiana, for our annual get together. He is going to be 32 later this month and living about a 1000 miles from each other limits our time together. I am bringing my Dad's Garand to give to him.
That's the strange part of this whole thing. Peter showed no real interest in guns as he grew up even with my subtle (or maybe not so subtle) encouragement. I had all but given up on sharing the sport when out of the blue last February, he told me that he was going shooting with some of his friends. I offered to give him some guns to take and he and his friends had a ball. The next thing I know he's talking about guns and such and how he's wanted an M1 Garand since he was 12. (He use to talk about them all the time but I thought that he was just being a kid.)

Anyway, based upon his blossoming interest, I formally transferred to him, the firearms I had long ago planned for him; a S&W 22lr pistol, one of my 10/22s, and a 40 cal carbine I got on a lark as I'd planned to do this since he was young. Then, the next thing I know he's found the M1 Garand I mentioned we bought in another post and then this last weekend, it was this Winchester. So, in a short 3+ months he's gone from not showing any interest in shooting to 5 guns, going out 6 times shooting with me and 4 more times with his friends. To top it off, now he's talking about looking for a nice .223 bolt gun for P-dog hunting!

Further, he's starting to ask questions about my reloading setup and has told me he'd love to learn how to handload. I've explained that as far as I'm concerned, my entire firearm collection as well as my reloading equipment and components will eventually be his so I'd be proud to teach him anything I can about shooting, firearms, and handloading. Needless to say, I'm both pleased as heck to share my firearms interest with him and in honesty, I'm also a bit shocked at his sudden turnaround. That's kids, they surprise you at every turn. So, those of you with kids that don't yet show an interest, there's still hope.
Steve
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's pretty darned cool!
And a great rifle too!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Steve,

Very nice story and you made a great buy--scope included.

Don
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Man Steve, thats pretty cool

No kids myself, but i dearly hope i can positively influence my nephew when he gets a bit older (as long as his parents don't get in the way :lol: )
----- Doug
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Congrats on a great find! My favorite hunting rifle is my 1950's Model 70 Featherweight in .243.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Outstanding story and what a great moment for both of you.

One day I'm sure both the rifle and story will be passed on down to his kids.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Great day and wonderful family memory.

Shared your youthful dream with your obviously decent son and had $500 bucks for his birthday rifle. Obviouslly both impressed the gun shop owner. You done good as a family man.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a Real Winchester - But its Not a Levergun - Pics

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Steve, I love that wood stocked AR. I know you've told us before, but did you make the stock your self or buy it; if bought, where?
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Congratulations on a great find Steve. Combination of a longed for rifle from your earlier days and a birthday gift for your son...that's really sweet. Kudos.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Steve