My nephew and an Oklahoma twister

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

My nephew and an Oklahoma twister

Post by Thunder50 »

:shock:

Talked to him last night. I asked him about the twister that hit Chickasha. He said the radio was talking about a twister coming up I-44, so what does he do, he goes outside to look for it. He says that he saw a low cloud base (at least that is what he told his friend next to him) just Southwest of the house, but he wasn't worried.

His friend decided to head to the basement, where the wives were yelling for the guys to come down, but he stayed on the back porch taking pictures. He saidthe "low cloud" came over the house,and it was kind of rotating and the winds were swirling kind of funny, so he decided to "go below". He noticed a Highway Patrolman, on the turnpike looking at him, as it went over the house, I can only imagine what the OHP person was thinking. I know what I would have been thinking!!!
He said it was only about 100 ft over his head, over the house, he almost went for a ride in a twister :shock:

He said he came out of the basement in time to watch it descend out of the cloud and hit town.

"Sigh"

If someone would have told me about someone doing something like that, but didn't mention names, my Nephew would be the first person come to mind. His Dad would have done the same thing too, had he still been alive.He pulled some things that would make the hair on the back of your neck to stand up if I related them.

My Nephew, gotta love him.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hobie

Re: My nephew and an Oklahoma twister

Post by Hobie »

I'm glad he's ok...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad he is ok.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rjohns94 wrote:Glad he is ok.
Yepper. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
muddydog
Levergunner

Post by muddydog »

as a lifelong Oklahoman, i can attest that what your nephew did was Standard Operating Procedure.

the FIRST THING you are taught is that when any reports of erratic or tornadic activity (sirens or no sirens) is to go out side with all your neighbors and look at the sky.

small talk will be made with your neighbors about the severity and the threat level. LoL. the other day, sirens were going off all over Tulsa and i bet every man and woman on my block was outside checking it out.

we knew that day was going to be bad. it was HOT, the wind was blowing hard all day long and the green haze was in the air.

people were very, very lucky. God smiled on us, Bless those who got hit.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well yes, this is standard foolishness for Oklahoma. Last year a neighbor and I were out in the road looking at the sky as the tv showed a thunderstorm with possible rotation near our house. We heard a roaring coming from the North(both our properties butt up to I 40). It sounded more like a super loud semi instead of the freight train you usually hear about. We never saw a tornado- just clouds. Went to bed and the next morning discovered a tornado had hit exactly 1 mile South of our house and did major damage for a 4 mile stretch. We still have not figured out why the sound was from the North and the storm to our South. God Bless. :o :shock: :?
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I'm glad he's ok...
+1
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote:I'm glad he's ok...
+1
and one more.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Standing outside during a tornado warning is SOP in Kansas too. Or driving around looking for it. One day my Dad called home from work saying he could see a funnel cloud in the sky out east of town. So my Mom and myself jumped in the car to go out to the east side of town to see if we could see it. With me driving, we got out to the east end of town and could not see any sign of the cloud. But there was strange and intense cloud to ground lightning hitting all a round us. we were following behined a pickup with a camper in the bed. Suddenly, the camper lifted off the bed of the pickup about 50 feet high, flipped over then came crashing down in a ditch next to the road. So I turned around and we headed home. Later my Dad called and asked if we could see the funnel cloud. Mom told Dad what we did and my Dad about croaked. Mom told him where we went and Dad said that we drove right under the cloud. Never did see it though, we were disappointed about that.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have to say I'd be looking too and then probably running like a little girl for cover. Glad he's okay. Bless those effected.
Old Law Dawg