Trapper in a Safe?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Trapper in a Safe?

Post by kenken0269 »

This may have covered before but I couldn't find a thing on it. In my safe I have several guns with 20" or longer barrels that fit just fine. I have a 9422m Trapper that when you set it in the safe, the barrel don't reach the upper landing to hold the gun. Does anyone else have this problem and how have y'all fixed it? I could just put some bricks in there and go about my way but I take pride in my stuff. I want it to look good inside my safe when I open it. Someone may see in it and I want it to be organized. Levers here, Bolts actions here, Pumps here, Pistols here, etc.

Just was wondering what y'all have done.

Thanks

kenken
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trapper in a Safe?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

go get a carbon arrow and stick in the barrel....
with an insert where the broadhead would be...or
I have seen some use wooden dowels...but wood will hold moisture...
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Sun May 22, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I had rifles and carbines that either because of the sights (scopes) that were mounted or because of shorter barrel length (Trappers) did not fit well into any rack I had.

Seems to me that blocks in a safe would take up a lot of floor space unless you have more than one gun that you're having the problem with. I tried leaning them against the wall of my safe with padding, but it wasn't a good solution.

When I built my new 10-gun rack I addressed those issues as part of the design. Made the case deeper and the barrel rest lower.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In my cabinet, or should say Mod71alaska's cabinet, the trapper sits on several boxes of ammo for that caliber. works just fine for me. I use this for my TDS, my Car-15, and soon for my NKJ trapper .44.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

My safe is a Liberty and the barrel landing is not adjustable with the middle divider that is in it. I don't think that it will sit on boxes of 22mag bullets very well also.

Thanks for the input.

kenken
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

RIHMFIRE wrote:go get a carbon arrow and stick in the barrel....
with an insert where the broadhead would be....
This works. Or a piece of brazing rod cut to length and bent into a closed hook "J" at the muzzle end.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I keep most of my collectable folding knives inside a .50-cal ammo can. I keep that ammo can against the back of my vault with a piece of carpet velcro'ed to the its top. Then I use the ammo can as a platform to set my extra-short rifles on.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A piece of acetel (plastic) rod will work as well. Won't attract moisture and won't hurt anything else. Not sure where to suggest getting it though. Will ask wife when she gets home if she knows of a local source.
She gets all hers through mail order.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I set mine off to the side. Leanin' up and the first thing out and the last one back in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Have been using a brass rod for years, works fine.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

If you have a custom golf club making shop close by, see if the clubmaker has some old graphite golf shafts. If you can get some shafts designed for woods, their tip diameter will be .335 of an inch and you can sand them on a belt sander to mak'em fit smaller calibers. In my shop I always had plenty of old ones I might never use and would have been glad to give away a few for tomato stakes or whatever.
T.
Last edited by Topside on Tue May 24, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My safe is large enough that I have two sections. One for "tall" or long firearms, and the other side for carbines and shorter longarms. Works pretty well! :D
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

http://www.storemoreguns.com This outfit is the ticket for gaining more room in your safe. Can simply and quickly accomodate storage of various barrel lengths. A close friend picked one of the kits at the Tulsa Show. I'm impressed how easy it solved the problem of his crowded, disorganized gun safe.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

Had the same problem, one day at work a while back I was shipped my new laptop with a piece of eggcrate foam in the box. Works like a charm, they don't slip and will not mar a thing.

Ryan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've got a shorter safe with a lower shelf, so I'll be glad to store that Trapper for you, if you want... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Box of Quaker oats works & cereal absorbs humidity. Change out x6mos. Feed to dog -- they're nasty with all that moisture in them.
richerich
Levergunner

Post by richerich »

I can't keep my safe nice and tidy too many guns for em' all to fit right :D I need a bigger safe.
Rich
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, me too. I took the 10 cent factory rifle racks out of the safe and burned 'em in the wood stove. Made my own out of oak. It was simple. I cut a mess of oak boards that were about 1 and 1/2" X 1" and made a "box" that fits very snuggly to the walls of the safe. There's 3 rows across with a notch cut out every 3". I can slide this up or down in the safe to accomodate rifles with barrels any length.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Sixgun wrote:Yea, me too. I took the 10 cent factory rifle racks out of the safe and burned 'em in the wood stove. Made my own out of oak. It was simple. I cut a mess of oak boards that were about 1 and 1/2" X 1" and made a "box" that fits very snuggly to the walls of the safe. There's 3 rows across with a notch cut out every 3". I can slide this up or down in the safe to accomodate rifles with barrels any length.----------Sixgun
Sixgun, could you post a picture of that setup?
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

The shorties hang on the door :wink:

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I also removed the 'built-in' rack, and replaced it with these; they allow variable-length guns to be easily secured, PLUS don't take up as much room for the rack itself. Having the dowels angled towards the front at the top makes it much easier to slip a gun in and out without feeling like everything has to shift around or like I'm snaking a china goblet out from behind a bunch of others.

ImageImage

I put one on left and right sides, and was deciding on a freestanding one up the middle, or just another across the back with non-angled dowels, but instead I found it easier to just put seldom-used guns 'out in the middle', slipped into gun-socks; the frequent-flyers go in the racks.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

Hey Sixgun,

Let me see what you are talking about, that you have done.

kenken
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Self Explanitory---Sixgun

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu May 26, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

Outstanding. I am speechless. Is this a personal collection?

kenken
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kenken0269 wrote:Outstanding. I am speechless. Is this a personal collection?
Rumor has it they're all life-size styrofoam models, or perhaps the 'safe' is only 8" tall, and they're all plastic ones from the Ken & Barbie Cowboy doll collection... :wink: :lol: