Selling a gun when heavily invested in ammo/components

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Selling a gun when heavily invested in ammo/components

Post by Jason_W »

I'm considering selling a gun that I'm pretty sure would fetch a decent price. The catch is that I'm pretty heavily invested in reloading components as well as factory and handloaded ammo. Most of the components could be sold, as could factory ammo, but I wouldn't know what to do with handloaded ammo. My inclination is that selling my home brews would be a really bad idea.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Selling a gun when heavily invested in ammo/components

Post by adirondakjack »

When I divested myself of a caliber a while back, I let some handloaded ammo sit around a while. Then I realized I wasn't gonna use it, nor would I sell reloads, owing to liability issues, so I called the local PD, and sure enough they said "bring it down". They have a big bucket of damaged or otherwise unusable ammo. When it gets full, they give em to the fire department to use for training burns.

Now if ya had a lot, and the brass was worth saving, you could use a big pair of channel locks or end nippers and an open hole in yer press to rapidly pull bullets. Melt the bullets down, dump the powder on the wife's flower beds, and sell the brass.
Last edited by adirondakjack on Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Jason_W wrote: My inclination is that selling my home brews would be a really bad idea.
Wise decision. Pull the bullets and sell the components. Or go shoot 'em up!! :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've done this many times. Shoot the ammo and enjoy and then sell the components. Or, pull the bullets, powder, and sell the primed cases...

I usually sell the dies with the brass and have had very good success - figure about 70% of "new" cost = gunbroker.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

In general I don't like shooting anyone elses reloads, but I dont mind buying reloaded ammo if the price is right and its worth the time to break them down for components, especially in the more unusual calibers. I can pull bullets, check charges, and recharge with a known powder, or use what was in it it its identified, I just want to confirm the charge.

Or,... you could shoot up the ammo before selling the gun, then sell the brass.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I probably will shoot off the balance before selling. Seems like the least laborious method.

If I decide to sell at all, that is.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, you can shoot up all the reloaded ammo, then you can load it again if you don't sell the gun, and have had the fun of shooting it. Win-Win.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Based on past experience I'd have one heck of a good time shooting up all those reloads and then sell the brass. Every other option (and most have been mentioned) was lacking for me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Jason_W wrote:I probably will shoot off the balance before selling. Seems like the least laborious method.

If I decide to sell at all, that is.
I have let potential buyers use it up (under my supervision) and it usually hooks them - being able to shoot up some "free" stuff is hard for anyone to resist. Once in a while, the prospective buyer opts out, but nothing lost, the ammo is used up and not a problem.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What is the ammo?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

First of all, how much is the "not needed stuff" worth? a hundred? two hundred? (not likely) Big deal. I've been there and done that. Let it sit as somewhere along the line you will find a use for it. :wink: Whats a couple of hundred today?...enough to pay an electric bill?

Its like the guy who sells his tools because he is tired of turning wrenches. What are you going to get for $3,000 worth of tools? $400?? Let your kids worry about it after you smoke and if you don't have kids, oh well....your not gonna know about it anyway. :wink: ----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Based on past experience I'd have one heck of a good time shooting up all those reloads and then sell the brass. Every other option (and most have been mentioned) was lacking for me.
+1

Sounds like th ebest overall plan! :D
chainsaw
Levergunner

Post by chainsaw »

What are your home brews?I wouldn't be scared to shoot handloads if the load was published and they weren't max loads.
If you don't like loggers,wipe your hiney with a plastic bag.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I made the mistake of selling my dies and brass for the 38-40 when I sold my Model 1892 in that caliber. Turns out I liked the caliber so much, I now have two old leverguns chambered for it ..... and I had to buy new dies and brass! :(
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

KirkD wrote:I made the mistake of selling my dies and brass for the 38-40 when I sold my Model 1892 in that caliber. Turns out I liked the caliber so much, I now have two old leverguns chambered for it ..... and I had to buy new dies and brass! :(

I never get rid of dies. You just really never do know if, or when, the opportunity to use them again might arise.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Ifn' it were me, I'd store some, mebbee 100 rounds. On the rest I'd pull the bullets (remelt), and dump powder and store everything together in a good air tight container (dies good ammo, primed brass, and any special tools/parts needed for reloading) Won't take up much room and you may pick up aother rifle in the same caliber, or later maybe the dies/parts will be worth more? But that's just me, as I still have a ball pien hammer I bought in 1969...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

mikld wrote:Ifn' it were me, I'd store some, mebbee 100 rounds. On the rest I'd pull the bullets (remelt), and dump powder and store everything together in a good air tight container (dies good ammo, primed brass, and any special tools/parts needed for reloading) Won't take up much room and you may pick up aother rifle in the same caliber, or later maybe the dies/parts will be worth more? But that's just me, as I still have a ball pien hammer I bought in 1969...
That's actually what occurred to me today. If I sell the gun, I'll put my handloads in good airtight storage and sell off any other components and factory ammo I have.