Browning 71 barrel fit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 71 barrel fit

Post by medicdave »

Quick question. Will a Browning 71 fit the Miroku Browning and Winchester 1886's?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Browning 71 barrel fit

Post by Malamute »

I believe so.

Why, do you have a 71 barrel for my Browning 86? :mrgreen:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Malamute wrote:I believe so.

There's a Browning 71 carbine barrel on Gunbroker right now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =230139710

It's been listed several times.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

The barrel fits on a Miroku 71 or M1886. I've put a B71 barrel on my Miroku M1886. Switching the barrel was the easy part, even though I had to file and stone a little metal from the barrel face and shoulder and then take a few turns with a rented reamer to restore proper headspace.

There's a lot more work involved to get the larger .348 Winchester case to feed and eject reliably. The carrier has to be ground a wee bit to accomodate the larger diameter rim. Likewise, the breech bolt must be opened a very very little bit, and the extractor ground at a sharper angle. You may also have to open/relieve the area around the loading gate. All of this can be done with a Dremmel, files and stones, but the key is to take it one step at the time and go VERY Very slow.

I got carried away with the breech bolt and set myself back several months (and another $100 or so). If you take away too much metal, it's very hard, if not impossible, to correct. Don't open the breech bolt too much or it won't hold the case and extract. I ended up having to install an original Model 71 bolt and open the locking bolt recesses. This was only possible because the original Model 71 uses slanted locking bolts that are slightly more narrow than the Miroku M1886 locking bolts. By opening the original bolt's locking recesses and making them perpendicular, I got the replacement breech bolt to lock up correctly, using the Miroku locking bolts. A careless second or two with the Dremmel caused me lots of grief.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

vancelw wrote:
Malamute wrote:I believe so.

There's a Browning 71 carbine barrel on Gunbroker right now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =230139710

It's been listed several times.
Thanks. I'm wanting a longer barrel. After reading the last post, it may be simpler to buy a Browning 71 and do what I want with it, tho that's not in the budget at this point.

The plan is a 22" light rifle, full mag, straight grip, shotgun butt, 348 cal. I may just do that with my original 71.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Too bad. i traded off one of my Browning 71s about a month ago. I should have converted it to carbine and sold you the rifle barrel. Oh well, I can't keep all of them, no matter how badly I want to. :cry:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle