Marlin lever rough on closing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin lever rough on closing

Post by Goat »

I very recently got a used 308MX and have slicked it up with an "action job" like the one described at Marlin Owners. One problem remains. Before the polishing and still after the polishing the lever is very rough in getting back started on the closing stroke. It is as the carrier first starts back down and the bolt begins to ride over the ejector. I have worked the action with the ejector removed and eliminated that as a problem. I have never really sat down and thought out the process of the workings of the 336 but I guess will have to do so if someone can't give me the quick answer to what still needs attention. Thanks for any help.
Goat
Last edited by Goat on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin lever rough on closing

Post by adirondakjack »

How's the interface between the bolt and the hammer?
Certified gun nut
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin lever rough on closing

Post by Goat »

Bolt to hammer contact is fine. I think I figured this one out by myself. I took another lever out of another Marlin and gave it a try. It worked fine. I compared the levers and found a rough spot that appeared to not have been radiused as well as it should have been. More work with two grades of sand paper and it is 100% better if cycled as fast as it should be. It is still not as smooth as my other umpteen Marlins if shifted slowly but I don't shift slowly after firing at game. Thanks.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"