OT: Spot bluing question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Spot bluing question

Post by J Miller »

Since every gunsmith I've dealt with and talked to has chickened out about welding up the four extra holes in the receiver on the MR-7, I've devised a plan of action that will render the extraneous holes all but invisible.

What I'm going to do is order in some extra long ½" scope base screws and then glue them in the holes using the LOCTITE Black Max adhesive.
Then I'll cut them off just above the surface of the receiver and very carefully file them down to flush with my jewelers files and polish them with 600 wet or dry soaked in oil.

If I am successful I will have four small white dots to blue.

What or whose bluing product would be the best for this?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Spot bluing question

Post by soon 2 retire »

Joe,

I don't know what to use for the bluing but I remember seeing instructions on doing what you are thinking about. I remember that they cut them proud of the surface and then carefully peened them with a ball peen hammer before the file was used. Don't know if this is better; just letting you know.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

soon 2 retire wrote:Joe,

I don't know what to use for the bluing but I remember seeing instructions on doing what you are thinking about. I remember that they cut them proud of the surface and then carefully peened them with a ball peen hammer before the file was used. Don't know if this is better; just letting you know.

Bob in NE Indiana
Bob,
That is part of it, I just forgot to type it in. I talked to a gunsmith in Nebraska, I think, who said the exact same thing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It should work. I've seen refinished Military rifles that had holes filled in that manner and the holes were barely visible.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hi Joe:

I've had the best luck with Brownell's Oxpho Blue in the cream formula. Its "thicker-er" than liquid, so it clings to curved surfaces -- like we find on guns -- very well. I always degrease the metal parts with Naptha (lighter fluid) and heat them up with a heat gun, or place them close to a light bulb. A few applications help to darker them up, and lightly polishing them with the Oxpho Blue and 000 steel wool helps the color "take" too.

I have a partially used bottle here, as I just got a new bottle to replace it. If you want it, just PM me your mailing address and I'll send it along.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IME degreasing and warmer than average temps help a lot with all the cold bluing solutions and Oxpho is the best.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old No7,
PM on the way to you.

I've never used the Oxpho Blue in any form. I have a bottle of Birchwood Caseys gel blue that works OK but not great.
And I do degrease and add heat, I found that works better as well.

Thanks for the info and help, now I got to get those long screws ordered.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For Spot Bluing it's hard to beat the Birchwood Casey "Presto" gun bluing pen.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23401-1.html

I got mine at the local 5&Dime and it worked quite well to blue the crown of my chopped Mosin.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

J Miller wrote:"Old No7, PM on the way to you."
Got it Joe, it's all packed up and will go out either tomorrow or Saturday.

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old No7 wrote:
J Miller wrote:"Old No7, PM on the way to you."
Got it Joe, it's all packed up and will go out either tomorrow or Saturday.

Good luck!

Old No7
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Joe
Old Ironsights wrote:For Spot Bluing it's hard to beat the Birchwood Casey "Presto" gun bluing pen.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23401-1.html

I got mine at the local 5&Dime and it worked quite well to blue the crown of my chopped Mosin.
I'd forgotten about them things. You used to see them in every gun shop, but no so much any more.

Joe