When I like Marlins better than Winchesters...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

When I like Marlins better than Winchesters...

Post by AJMD429 »

...is when I have to take one completely apart (and reassemble it)...!

Winchesters (even the lowly Rossi clones) are buttery-smooth, and great to shoot, but Marlins are much more fun to 'work on', at least for an amateur like me.

The GOOD news is I disassembled my Rossi, drilled and tapped it for a Williams FP-94/36, and managed to get it all back together. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: When I like Marlins better than Winchesters...

Post by spaceman spiff »

cool......... 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Then it was a great day, well done. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

About 15 years ago, before Steve Young was invented, I broke down a Rossi 92 for cleaning.
Took me five hours to get it back together again....
Denis
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I see You Tube has a step by step video for the the whole process. I may even try mine as it's fairly dirty inside.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I was just about to call the Fire Department ............

...as I expected to see a lot of flames on this thread! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
You could not be more right. I am always ripping apart this 'n that and 9 times out of 10, I resort to my books as "mmmmm...what did I do wrong?" When its a Marlin, well, if you can't rip one of those down, you had better change from guns to watching sports on TV. Its about the same with a SA Colt---no brainer--but........leave those cams alone :wink:

One of the worst guns to work on was the trigger group of a Colt Lightning with a factory set trigger. I needed 6 hands and 14 clamps. :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The thing about either of them is; generally you don't need to take them apart very often.
Mater of fact other than the initial cleaning or de-burring you can live with them just fine with out ever taking them apart again.

Unless you do something really klutzy like drop it in a mud bog or soak it in salt water.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bigahh wrote:I see You Tube has a step by step video for the the whole process. I may even try mine as it's fairly dirty inside.
Link? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not to be a smartypants but I took my first 94 apart when I was around 15 or so. I used the wrong types of screw drivers, had no schematic, no instructions, no help from anybody, and no experience with taking apart any type of lever gun.

The gun was an early 1900s vintage 1894 SRC that had been well USED.
I got it for a reasonable price and found it wouldn't work. Took it to a gunsmith who just sat on it for months and never bothered to do anything to it. Finally got on my bicycle and rode over to his shop and got my rifle and rode home with it. This was pre-1968, try that stunt now and see what happens.

Once I got home I sat there and looked at it like it was a puzzle. Where to start? Ok, stock comes off first. From there I worked the action and watched what did what. I did modify one screwdriver to have parallel sides only cos I couldn't find another driver that fit.

I took it apart, diagnosed the broken and worn parts. Went to a gun shop ( a real one ) and bought them. Then came home and repaired my 94. Guess what ... it worked.

I said all this to say that I'm amazed and maybe appalled at the number of folks that are scared to death to use their mind to look and study to see how something works and then proceed with out someone in person or on the 'net holding their hands and telling them how to do it.

I guess I came from a different era. If you're going to use it you gotta fix it and learn how. My first car was the same way. I had to fix a bunch of it to make it and keep it running. So was my second and third. Not till I bought the first computerized wonder did I quit having to MAKE them run. And only then cos I don't have the gazillion dollars worth of equipment to diagnose the stupid things.

Any way, the next one of you that needs help with a Win 94, try to study it and figure it out BEFORE you ask the internet wizards for help.

Marlins on the other hand are too simple for the average guy. You really need to ask help with them ...... :roll:

Sorry for the rant, I just couldn't resist.

OBTH, you know what exploded drawings and instruction sheets are good for?
They make a good place to put your coffee cup so it don't leave wet rings on the work bench. :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Hobie wrote:
Bigahh wrote:I see You Tube has a step by step video for the the whole process. I may even try mine as it's fairly dirty inside.
Link? :wink:
Looks to be a few different ones, but this Gentlemen seems to talk slow and clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAP707phaao
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Joe,
There's nothing hard to figure out about a Win 94, it just takes more time & effort.
The 92 is the one that can be a bugger if you don't know how (I didn't the first time).

The thing about the Marlins is that everything I really need to come out for mid-level cleaning (going farther than just swabbing the bore but not a complete breakdown) does so by removing one single screw.

The two 1894s are vastly different in convenience, no sarcasm needed.
Denis
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I said all this to say that I'm amazed and maybe appalled at the number of folks that are scared to death to use their mind to look and study to see how something works and then proceed with out someone in person or on the 'net holding their hands and telling them how to do it.

I guess I came from a different era. If you're going to use it you gotta fix it and learn how.
Hmmmmm, now Joe seems i said that once. :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DPris wrote:Joe,
There's nothing hard to figure out about a Win 94, it just takes more time & effort.
Yep.
The 92 is the one that can be a bugger if you don't know how (I didn't the first time).
No kidding, those things can be a brain twister. Especially getting the bolt in without loosing that stupid ejector. I had to have help on that one.

The thing about the Marlins is that everything I really need to come out for mid-level cleaning (going farther than just swabbing the bore but not a complete breakdown) does so by removing one single screw.
Yep, but usually I don't even go that far with mine.

The two 1894s are vastly different in convenience, no sarcasm needed.
Yep, no disagreement there. That's why it amazes me when folks are so afraid of taking a Marlin apart. They're so easy it's almost too easy.
Denis
Pitchy wrote:

I guess I came from a different era. If you're going to use it you gotta fix it and learn how.
Hmmmmm, now Joe seems i said that once. :mrgreen:
I do believe we did. :mrgreen:

Joe
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

AJMD429 wrote:...is when I have to take one completely apart (and reassemble it)...!

Winchesters (even the lowly Rossi clones) are buttery-smooth, and great to shoot, but Marlins are much more fun to 'work on', at least for an amateur like me.

The GOOD news is I disassembled my Rossi, drilled and tapped it for a Williams FP-94/36, and managed to get it all back together. :wink:
Cool!
But just wondering why you had to take it apart to drill and tap it for the sight, I just opened the lever so the locking bolt where down then drilled through and tapped, no problem.
Terry
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

TMair wrote:But just wondering why you had to take it apart to drill and tap it for the sight, I just opened the lever so the locking bolt where down then drilled through and tapped, no problem.
Terry
A few things I'd worry about doing it that way.

1st, accidentally drilling too deep and hitting the action.

2nd, not being able to run the tap all the way in as it would hit the action.

3rd, leaving the drilling chips in the receiver where they can muck with the action.

Leverguns are easy to take apart and it's just better practice to remove the action so you can drill holes in the receiver the right way.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Fewer moving parts and easier to work on. Just more confirmation of the superior design of the Marlin. :wink:

Fixed it for ya! :D :D :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I like Winnies better when I'm building a new fence! They make great fence posts!
Just kiddin you Winnie guys! ;)
Last edited by marlinman93 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Sounds like that Guy above may be a marlin fan ! :lol:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

COSteve wrote:
TMair wrote:But just wondering why you had to take it apart to drill and tap it for the sight, I just opened the lever so the locking bolt where down then drilled through and tapped, no problem.
Terry
A few things I'd worry about doing it that way.

1st, accidentally drilling too deep and hitting the action.

2nd, not being able to run the tap all the way in as it would hit the action.

3rd, leaving the drilling chips in the receiver where they can muck with the action.

Leverguns are easy to take apart and it's just better practice to remove the action so you can drill holes in the receiver the right way.
On an 1886, or a 92, if you drill into the mortise grooves you would have to drill way deep to hit the action, same with tapping.
But you do have to make sure you clean out the drilling debree.
Terry