OT: Recovery From Surgery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Recovery From Surgery

Post by Beaker »

Well this last year with my health problems has been challenging, to say the least. I am recovering well from my surgery so I have been thinking. I have worked hard to raise my family and provided and have been very conservative in finacial matters and have no debt except for a relatively small amount left on the house mortgage. I have a fair amount of savings and 401K. But I cant take it with me when I pass and ultimantly my financial situation is not my source of security. I trust my security to my Heavenly Father and Lord, Jesus.

That being said, I decided to reward myself today and pay for an assault type rifle but not of the popular AR15 types. I am to old school and I like nice wood stocks. So I am getting a M1A National Match rifle made by Springfield armory in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester.

This will likely be the most powerful rifle I will ever own and will be my " long range"
gun. Thus my 30/30 will be my intermediate range firearm and I still hope to purchase a 0.357 lever carbine which will be my short range weapon.

I was planning for Blackhawk SS in .357 this spring or summer and hoping to get the .357 carbine sometime in the fall before the end of the year. Those plans will be pushed back a ways.

The M1A probably will not get shot a whole lot as the price of the ammo is expensive compared to the .223 ammo. But I have always thought an M1A or M14 are 8) .
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Recovery From Surgery

Post by iceman »

Sounds like a plan to me. You should be able to find mil surplus ammo relatively cheap. 308 is a great round and specials can usually be found . Enjoy it and remember you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you are here.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm with you, Beaker. My attraction to a rifle increases directly with how well I shoot it off-hand. That M14 I shot in the service was the very top of the line for off-hand shooting, as far as I am concerned.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Beaker,

Mainly glad you're recoverin' well from your surgery. I 'spose an M1A is as good a choice as any, if you're not goin' for the heap cool M1 Garand! :P Congrats on the new rifle... and the NM is the top doog in the kennel! :D :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure glad to hear that your recovery is moving along well. Our Lord is still able to take care of us. Enjoy the new rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

so glad your recovering well. You will like the national match. I shot one for three years on the Navy rifle/pistol team back in the 80s. a great weapon. blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beaker, sounds like you've got things under control. I've had a number of surgeries and I've got to say (knocking on wood) right now I'm doing good. I'd prefer the M1A or M14 platform over the Garand as well. Sorry, Griff. Don't want to play around with blocs. I'd rather change a mag. The Springfield is on my bucket list.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Glad things are going well and Christ is your hope, 8) I bought some hard ball 308 ammo at Gander MT a while back. They had pallets of 400 round cans of 1967 fodder in bandoleers for a 100 bucks.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

What a plan! I too am recovering from surgery and radiation treatments and I've got an M1 Garand on my bucket list. Also like you, Jesus is my Anchor and I've been provided with a few extra years of shooting. But first I got my eye on a 1953 Mod. '94 at the local pawn shop...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know you're on the mend when you start thinking of a new firearm. Glad to see it! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

[gun smoke that is. :P ]
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Good news on the your recovery as well as the new rifle!!! :D :D :D
Dave B
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am very glad to hear you are getting better. :D I am looking forward to the range report on the M1. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Good news on the surgery and that your healing well. I see a lot of 7.62x51 surplus around the internet lately, so you should be able to stock up. I would like to hear how it shoots.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=26

Steve
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Griff wrote:Beaker,

Mainly glad you're recoverin' well from your surgery. I 'spose an M1A is as good a choice as any, if you're not goin' for the heap cool M1 Garand! :P Congrats on the new rifle... and the NM is the top doog in the kennel! :D :D :D

Griff,

I would love to have an M1 Garand, that is what my Dad shot when he was in the National Guard back in the 1950's. Actually, my ultimate dream service rifle to have is a Springfield 1903 in a sniper configuration, but those are getting very rare and expensive these days. Also, since I am left handed, a bolt action rifle is very awkward for me to fire rapidly. That is one big reason besides the coolness factor that I prefer lever action repeaters.

Also, the M1 Garand is getting difficult now to find one in good condition that is not costing an arm and a leg either. On second thought, they are still cheaper then the the M1A National Match rifle I ordered as the M1A is costing me a couple of Garands 8) .

I think for my purposes though the .308 is a better all around caliber then the 30-06 cartridge. While the .308 doesnt have quite the punch or range of the 30-06, the ballistics are quite similar. But the .308 allows me to carry up to 20 rounds in the magazine vs. 8 rounds in the M1 30-06. The M1A / M14 weighs less too.

The M14 as it lives on in the M1A configuration is still being manufactured and thus new parts are still being made for manufacturing new and the servicing of existing rifles. I feel this is another plus forthe M1A. I consider the M14 the last of the US Grand ole service rifles with the wood stock ( did I mention I am old school and like wood?) and still has some real punch and can reach way out when needed.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

JerryB wrote:Sure glad to hear that your recovery is moving along well. Our Lord is still able to take care of us. Enjoy the new rifle.
mikld wrote:What a plan! I too am recovering from surgery and radiation treatments and I've got an M1 Garand on my bucket list. Also like you, Jesus is my Anchor and I've been provided with a few extra years of shooting. But first I got my eye on a 1953 Mod. '94 at the local pawn shop...
The Lord is the source of all good things.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you beaker :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Hobie wrote:I know you're on the mend when you start thinking of a new firearm. Glad to see it! :!:
+1!!! Hope you're as good as new soon!
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Just an update. I am released to go back to work on Monday April 11th, assuming everythings is still ok. So in 2 weeks I go back to the drug cartel.

Thanks to all for thier kind words and prayers concerning my surgery and about my M1A NM. I wonder why no one has tried to talk me out of it? :wink: