308 Marlin Express

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

308 Marlin Express

Post by Goat »

About this time three years ago my local gunpusher called me me and said an ol' boy was in a bind and had a 308MX he would take $400 for and it was like new. I bought it and topped it with a Leupold VX 2 3-9X scope. It shot out of this world but like an idiot I let my brother borrow it during deer season. He proceeded to kill a few with it and ended up buying it from me.
I have been trying to make myself believe I didn't need a "long range" lever. but I can't talk myself out of it. I have thought about BLRs in 308 or even 300WSM. I have thought even more about a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and still want one. BUT, my love of Marlin leverguns has won out again and I have made a deal on another 308MX. I gave a lot of thought about the 338MX but already have a BLR-81 in 358. I think that the 308MX will give me the reach to make ethical shots to between 250 and 300 yards. 300 yards is my personal max and most of the "open" places I would be much closer. Hopefully the factory ammo or my own handloads will provide the accuracy needed to be my levergun with "reach." This time I will mount my favorite scope of all time on the 308MX, a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x in Talley rings. I think that this will give me all the reach I need in the occasional clearcuts I hunt.
What do you think of my intended setup?
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 308 Marlin Express

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a pair of Marlin's in 308 Express .

Had a 308MXLR and 308MX at the same time . The 308MXLR wore a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14x with AO and the 308MX wore a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8x .

While alot of folks don't understand or want to see this the 4.5-14 worked very well in the woods . While sitting in a tree 30 feet of the ground the extra power worked great to find openings in brush to shoot thru !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I failed to mention I also owned a pair of Marlin's in 338MX again int he same configurations as the pair of 308's .

While both the 308 and the 338 did what they claimed on paper and the 308 on deer I never took either of the 338's hunting and sold them both in less then a year from the time I purchased them !

Nothing wrong with either cartridge I just kinda lost intrest in them !

Have gotten more into cast bullets in the 444 and 45-70 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A few weeks ago I made a quick trip to Arizona (uncle's memorial service). Happened to stop in a gun store in Clifton, and among a bunch of nice stuff spotted a Marlin 308ME with a $400 price tag. Not very convenient to buy guns when you are flying home in these unfriendly skies, but I was going to do it anyway. Then saw the little tag that showed somebody had beat me to it and made a deposit on said rifle. So I'll just keep an eye out. And Goat, that leupold 2.5-8 has to be one of the all-time great scopes. I never hunt from a tree stand in thick stuff, so don't have that consideration. For my hunts I need to be prepared to shoot a moving target and I like the low power for that, which the 2.5 end fulfills nicely. You've got a nice combo there, I'd say. :mrgreen:
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have the 338ME and have shot it to 300yds. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a deer at that range. Either cartridge will do what you want.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I was eyeballin the one You bought.and You did real Good.I have a .338MX and am waiting for a custom mould to be made so I can shoot the heck out of it. I really like the MX series.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Some 308 and 338's had barrel droop problems. meaning the receiver wasn't tapped square. It is easily noticable if the top of the rifle receiver is sat on the counter, you will notice that the barrel is not parallel to the counter. Marlin owners web site has pics about it. So be informed before you buy. I have a 338MX that shoots great.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

My new 308MX is scary accurate..especially since i came up with a recipe using 125gr Remington pointy core-lokts...the velocity is definately up there...and I dont mind using it as a two-shooter....I have a 2-7x Leupold mounted low and perfect for fast snaps to the shoulder....I just have been so impressed with it that when the chance to grab a 2008 made 338ME still new came by under my nose and at a great price no less, I had to grab it...should be here next week...I am thinking the another 2-7x may be getting the position of mounting on this new member of the family as it fits just right....Come On UPS!!!!