My Latest Acquisition and Project...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

My Latest Acquisition and Project...

Post by Eli Chaps »

For a bunch of years I have longed for a short-barreled Marlin carbine. I very much like 20" barrels and without question adore my 1895CB but I just always had that itch to have handy little lever gun. My 1895G has kept the pot from boiling over for a good long time but I'm a 30-30 guy and that little voice seemed to always come around and whisper to me. :D

I'm fortunate enough to be at a place in my firearm's life where I don't need another gun and these days it is about want. I had made up my mind to find a nice .22LR bolt rifle in need of some TLC and make it my next project. I went to one of my favorite pushers and didn't find anything the category that intrigued me but I did spy a 1965 Marlin/Glenfield 36G that surely caught my eye. I had long ago decided that if I did a stubby carbine it would have a short mag tube. It is both easier (cheaper) to accomplish the end product and I find the short tubed guns to handle very nicely.

The gun was used for sure but in good mechanical shape. Bluing was worn and spotted in places and someone along the years had refinished the stocks. I fondled it for a good long while before putting it back on the rack and leaving the store.

A couple weeks later I was back in the shop, again checking on a bolt .22 that talked to me and I saw the old Glenfield still sitting there. Again I fondled it for a good long while but this time I asked the shop owner is bottom line price. He came back with one that was agreeable to me and the deal was made.

I didn't even bring it home. I just drove straight over to my smith's shop and told him to lop the barrel back to 16.25" and re-cut the sight dovetail. I could have tried to tackle it myself in my brother in law's machine shop but for $75 I figured it was money well spent.

A couple weeks later it was done and home. The previous re-finish was alright but not to my liking by any means so I soon had at the stocks. Birch can be a challenge but I'm happy with the results. There were issues with the butt plate fitment, due both to original manufacturer and no doubt the prior refinish. Basically, it would not sit tight and flush to the stock. It was also very proud of the wood in many spots (aggressive sanding during the prior refinish). A simple fix would have been to drill the screw holes a little deeper but me and Ma Necessity got together and come up with a more unique solution. I made a thin red spacer out of a plastic Folger's coffee "can".

I topped it with a Williams 94/36FP with an extended shank Twilight Aperature.

I haven't got to shoot it yet. I was supposed to get out yesterday but that didn't work out but if it shoots half as good as it handles it will be a dream come true! :D

The woods I stomp around in are thick, steep, and full of critters with sharp teeth. My intent for this little carbine was a general utility gun for trips to get wood with my best friend, have handy in the tent when camping, hunting the real thick/rugged spots, etc. I think it will serve it's role splendidly!

This last picture shows my Cold Steel Mini-Tac Tanto which is also a great little wood's tool. :)

Anyway, I'm just excited and wanted to share. :mrgreen:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My Latest Acquisition and Project...

Post by TMair »

Dang that is noce looking, with the short barrell, and short mag it kinda looks like my 71.
Good for you, now go have fun with it :D
Terry
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Very nice, I'm thinking that should be about ideal.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I like that, looks great. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

You take some good pictues, Eli. What kind of camera and lighting?

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Might handy looking. Good work. And, I agree your pictures look good.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks just great!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That does look good. I bet it turns out to be a good shooter.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Really nice trapper! Do you think that back sight is going to get it the way in heavy stuff?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

Thanks for the kind comments on the gun and pics. The camera is just a little Canon point-and-shoot but it does take pretty good pictures. The lighting is just natural sunlight. :)
BlaineG wrote:Really nice trapper! Do you think that back sight is going to get it the way in heavy stuff?
No Blaine I don't. I have Williams FP's on a few rifles and have never had an issue with them hanging up or bothering me in anyway. I like them very much.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ya know, I've never been a fan of Marlins or short mags but that is one sweet looking, handy gun you have there. It could ride in my truck anyday!

Agreed on your photo's. Think I'll mail ya some of my guns so you can take some pics.

LK
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Ya know, I've never been a fan of Marlins or short mags but that is one sweet looking, handy gun you have there. It could ride in my truck anyday!

Agreed on your photo's. Think I'll mail ya some of my guns so you can take some pics.

LK
Sure thing but I should warn ya, it sometimes takes me 20-30 years to get the pictures just right. :D