When y'all put a gun up, what do y'all do?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

When y'all put a gun up, what do y'all do?

Post by kenken0269 »

What is the preferred method that is used when you get ready to clean your gun after a day at the range. What oil do y'all use. With a gun that you don't shoot alot and will be in the safe for extended periods of time. I use 'Remoil' for everything. Is that adequate for long term or is there something better? I have heard both ways about this product. For instance I have a '43 Colt 1911a1 that I don't shoot a whole bunch and I want it to be rustfree when I go back to it.

Any input will be appreciated,

kenken
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: When y'all put a gun up, what do y'all do?

Post by Dave »

I have always used RIG but they quit making it. I am not sure what the best stuff is now.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The usual suspects will raise cane, but I've been using WD40 since the 60s, and have never had any of the rumored problems, and it works just as good as anything else...spray on, and wipe off good, anything you leave on will collect moisture and gunk/dust/dirt.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I use rem oil and hoppes...for everything...wd40 if they are not handy
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hoppes is my main choice But WD-40 works in a pinch.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I use rem oil and hoppes...for everything...
WD40 for those in the back row of the safe... The WD stands for "water dispersing", not water attracting! :twisted: Light coating of grease and wrapped in waxed paper for those in long term storage... no grease on the wood, just metal, inside & out. Long term is defined as 5 years or more. And, yes I have some that've been stored that long, AND longer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The only problem with Rem Oil is it's a bit thin and, like WD40, part of it evaporates off. A synthetic or something with a lower vapor pressure (does not evaporate) and extreme migration (gets into nook and crannies that your rag or brush can't hit) properties is proven to work better in test after test that I've read. (Hoppes #9 is a great solvent but it offers poor protection vs. an actual oil.) Now I didn't say the others don't work - there's just good, gooder, and way gooder.

An example of a top notch lubricant that also works well for long term protection is Break Free LP. (Not CLP - just LP):

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

And for even greater long term storage protection they offer Break Free Collector (but frankly LP simply kicks butt, I've never had a firearm rust that has been cleaned and lightly brushed with LP):

http://www.break-free.com/products/prod ... alog=civil

Birchwood Casey makes an industrial strength solution called Barricade that's designed for storage. Read about it here:

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/news/9588.html

Buy it here:

http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/product ... 0-oz..html

But as I said, I can't recomment Break Free LP enough.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Corrosion X is what I use, to both clean and to wipe down with :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I give the Barricade a thumbs up! I have had guns after 6 months or longer develop rust from Wd40, not a problem so far with barricade. .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dave wrote:I have always used RIG but they quit making it. I am not sure what the best stuff is now.
RIG is readily available, Birchwood Casey makes it, your gunshop should have it. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0001240027
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

FWIW, ALOX was developed as a rust preventive. I seem to recall someone mentioning that somewhere it was used for long-term storage.
Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Coming in from the range I usually wipe fingerprints and grime off the metal with a light coat of Break-Free CLP. Wipe dirt off the wood or whatever stock with a piece of terry-cloth. If I'm gonna store it for a while before shooting again I'll also run a dry brush down the bore a couple of times and swab with a wet patch using the same stuff and rub some furniture oil or polish on any wood. If I'm going to be using it again soon, I don't 'clean' the bore.

Then it's in the rack til next time...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Maybe a silcone cloth, WD-40 if it has been rained on, CLP usually. Everything else is a specialty application.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I use RIG, that small jar has lasted 20+ years and I have used in on a lot of guns over that time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I use Break Free CLP for cleaning after firing. Every Month after that I put a light coat of Royal Purple Gun Oil on any firearm I have not fired and cleaned. No rust so far. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

FYI: While I have NOT used this product on my firearms, I have used it generally to release frozen, rusted hardware. I see it is recommend for firearms and I will use it with my next cleaning.

AMSOIL MP Metal Protector
Protects Metal Surfaces, Displaces Water, Frees "Frozen Parts," and Silences Squeaks-Greaselessly!

http://www.thebestoil.com/amsoilsynthet ... px?id=1220
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

31drfl wrote:FYI: While I have NOT used this product on my firearms, I have used it generally to release frozen, rusted hardware. I see it is recommend for firearms and I will use it with my next cleaning.

Protects Metal Surfaces, Displaces Water, Frees "Frozen Parts," and Silences Squeaks-Greaselessly!

That stuff looks to work exactly like Barricade. Is the coating that stays behind noticeable?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I use Remoil mostly, but in a more humid climate like yours, I'd go with something heavier, like Breakfree. However, I lived in Houston for quite a few years and used regular ol' gun oil like Hoppe's and never had any rust problems.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

31drfl wrote:FYI: While I have NOT used this product on my firearms, I have used it generally to release frozen, rusted hardware. I see it is recommend for firearms and I will use it with my next cleaning.

I've got at least one buddy who swears by this stuff, he does a lot of CAS, and his guns are in fine shape.

He was kind enough to give me a full can to try but I haven't 'tested' it yet.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I use SUPER LUBE, it doesnt evaporate like wd-40 does, doesnt seem to run either, so far I have had great luck with it, really works well for slicking up the actions
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

G96 has served me well over the years. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

jnyork wrote:
Dave wrote:I have always used RIG but they quit making it. I am not sure what the best stuff is now.
RIG is readily available, Birchwood Casey makes it, your gunshop should have it. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0001240027
He may have meant the RIG oil ... which I believe is discontinued. I'm on my last bottle myself.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Welcome aboard, KenKen!

Corrosion X.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I use Prolix for everything, cleaning, lubrication and rust abatement. It isn't oil, and it leaves a thin protective layer on everything after it evaporates.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

Thanks for all the info guys. It is great to know what y'all think and recommend.

kenken :D
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

If I'm out of bacon grease, I spray some WD-40 on some old chonies and wipe 'em down with it. I only clean my guns when they need cleaning, which ain't alot.
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kenken0269 »

I like to take mine out and wipe them down about every 2 months or so. I will spend all of my Sunday afternoon after Church going over them and just checking 'em out real good. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy doing it, but I enjoy it.

kenken
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

ED's Red Bore Cleaner and Ed's Red oil mix. nothing is stored long term, they serve a peace pipes because I get out house so I don't bother SWMBO!

rimrock
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

That stuff looks to work exactly like Barricade. Is the coating that stays behind noticeable?
Oly
AMSOIL RECOMMENDATIONS
Spray product on area to be treated. For best results, do not wipe off. Film carrier will evaporate, leaving MP on treated surface.

I used MP on my Marlin 1894C & Kimber .45acp this evening, looks good, don't spray too much. I've used AMSOIL products for 25+ years and found them to be outstanding. :)
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9