22 rim-fire magnum PENETRATES!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

22 rim-fire magnum PENETRATES!

Post by getitdone1 »

Been testing lots of loads/cartridges for penetration through plastic milk jugs filled with water. Today Winchester's 22 magnum rim-fire with full metal jackted bullets nearly went through 6 jugs. It cracked the back wall of jug #6. What makes this so outstanding is most of my center-fire loads--30-30, 243, 348, 45-70, 375 H&H, 270 Win, 223 Rem--all with soft point bullets go through 4-5 jugs.

The 22 rim-fire magnum with hollow point bullets usually go into the 2nd jug with exception of 33 gr Remington V-Max. It didn't make it into 2nd jug. The fastest 270, 223 and 243 loads do about the same using fragile varmit bullets.

In a couple of weeks I'll post the results for all the above plus 9mm Luger and 45 Colt.

As I've mentioned: Going for 20 jugs with the 375 H&H, 300 gr full metal jacket bullet made by Hornady. Shot through 15 thus far.

I am a fan of the 22 rim-fire magnum and in part because you don't have to reload'em. Nearly blew a pigeon in half with a hollow point at about 25 yds. A skunk went about 2 feet after hit with hollow point. Be careful where you shoot a skunk! The smell in the old smoke house remained for over a year!

Don McCullough
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 rim-fire magnum PENETRATES!

Post by Grizz »

Good report. I really like jug tests. I just did one on 220g TC 45 ACP. Went thru 5 jugs and dented the outside of the 6th at 848 fps.

What gun or barrel length did you use? What bullet weight? Do you know the velocity?

Regards,

Grizz
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Speaking of 22 magnum ammo.....did you see this stuff?

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45g ... l-Defense/
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Grizz wrote:Good report. I really like jug tests. I just did one on 220g TC 45 ACP. Went thru 5 jugs and dented the outside of the 6th at 848 fps.

What gun or barrel length did you use? What bullet weight? Do you know the velocity?

Regards,

Grizz
Grizz. Bullet weight was 40 gr. Barrel 22". Velocity guess would be about 18-1900 fps

By the way, a plastic milk jug varies considerably in thickness from top to bottom. I always shoot through the thickest part being careful to line-up the jugs with gun both vertically and horozontally.

Don
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

And that is why I like to say it is the 45-70 of the rim fire world :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have always loved this round, and in fact for a 'night of the living dead' scenario, it is probably the ultimate anti-zombie round..... low recoil, great penetration, high capacity light weight rifles and pistols available and you could carry a couple of bricks of ammo in your back pack
i am ready !
cable
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

man o'dear. now I gotta have one. kicking myself I didn't get one of those cdnn trappers when they sold 'em off.

is that 30 round kel-tec out? is it junk or genious?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Grizz, Jeff's review http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm. danny
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks... good reading. I'd like to shoot that one for sure.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I know I have posted this before either here or another site but some of the most fun I have ever had was hunting prairie dogs with a TC Contender in 22 WRM. Note I had said hunting not just shooting. It was fun to get within 100 yards of a town and plink away. It was easy on the ears .
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Forgot to mention this 22 mag rim-fire FMJ bullet was found in the 6th jar and in nearly perfect condition. As you would expect with this kind of penetration from such a small, light bullet.

Don
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

I tried the .22WRM back before I knew what ear protection was and quickly quit this caliber, never to return! I have since taken all species of small game in Illinois with .22 RF. To each their own but, not for me.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, GetItDone1 - great posts.

And thanks to others here - good supplemental info and terrific links - all saved to a PDF.

Looks like this should be considered for my next long gun!