Hot 1894 Hot loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Hot 1894 Hot loads?

Post by Panzercat »

I'm looking for a plinking rifle for my birthday and invariable return to the possibility of a levergun. In the toss up between Rossi and Marlin, I'm pretty sure the choice is Marlin in the common calibers being .357 and .45 colt unless I totally misjudged the general concensus.

Initially, I was looking to get this in the .454, but Rossi looks to have discontinued the line and obtaining the rifle is more trouble- not to mention pricier -than what its worth.

Now I'm considering more realistic calibers. I would like a .45, but the question is how hot can i load this in a Marlin? I'm looking to play out to 200 yards (or better!) and still be able to give whatever I'm hitting something more than a love tap. Yes, an actual rifle cartrige would be better for this, but this is lever gun fun :) If a compelling argument can be made for a .357, sure why the hell not. People seem to like them enough.

Ultimately, this is the birthday rifle deathmatch against a keltec SU-16c or ca, which are not lever rifles ;) If you tell me I'm just not being realistic in my lever rifle needs, I'll probably just get that instead. Thanks peeps!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Hot 1894 Hot loads?

Post by J Miller »

Panzercat,

The Marlins and Winchesters in .45 Colt will run all day long on Ruger - T/C level loads. But much over that might not be a really good idea.
The Rossi 92 copies in .45 Colt are a different animal. As you've said they were / are chambered in 454 Casull so they can take some steamy loads.

Contact our own Nate Kiowa Jones and ask him about the 454s. He's really in the know about them.

Concerning the .357s, I'm pretty sure any of them (not the toggle link Ubertis) would take any sane loads you might want to play with. My choice would be the Marlin 1894 or the Rossi. I'm not a fan of the Win 1894 or any of the Miroku made Winchesters.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

200 yards on what? That makes a big difference. If it must be a .45, the .45-70 is the choice.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

@ J Miller
I should have mentioned the fact that I've been through nearly every channel you can think of to obtain a .454 including contacting Mister Nate (love his email, backordered 6-8mo at the time), so i've pretty much washed my hands of them. Too much time trouble and cost involved. Done.

@ Hobie
I'll be honest, mainly evil paper villians, but a modest sized deer would be nice too.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I might not be the best judge of what to shoot and when, but... I don't think I'd even use a .454Casull at 200 yards on game. Not that it wouldn't do damage at that range... but. simply because appropriate bullets for a levergun won't really have efficient ballistic coefficients for reliable work at that distance. Paper work... sure, I do that with my .45 Colt leverguns, 2 24" barreled Ubertis and a 20" Rossi (octagon rifle). And can be fairly consistent with hits. BTW, that's with standard .45Colt loadings, or even my CAS loads (850fps with 225gr boolits).

But, for my money's worth, hits on an 8-12" plate at 200 yards ain't exactly what what I'm willing to risk my huntin' trip on. My Rossi will take loads in the range of a 44 Magnum without a hitch, but loads in the 454Casull, I wouldn't try them. Rossi made some changes to the standard '92 copy for that caliber and ones in that 50KCUP range.

The loads I have loaded up for pigs and hogs sit right about the levels of a 44Remington Magnum or the 45 Winchester Magnum. It's had not deletorious effects on my gun or brass. In fact, I don't even see any real pressure signs. But then, for these loads I'm using NEW Starline brass, with is every bit as good as they make for any other cartridge. I do have them marked and boxed in boxes to keep them segregated from my normal .45Colt loads to use in my toggle links or Colt SAAs. I sure don't want to confuse the two.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Panzercat, You won't regret a levergun in a pistol cartridge. IMO they are the more fun than an AR. You can load it to where a 22lr is louder or you can make it surprisingly powerful. I have a 45colt winchester trapper and I will never part with it. I have shot it out to 500yds on gongs and its a blast. The challenge with any of the leverguns are factory irons, make up your mind before you buy one that you will need a good peep(or small scope) to play at 200yds, I wasn't much good past 75yds with the factory irons on my trapper. What I did to extend my range and shooting time at dark was install a low power shotgun scope, it has made my 45 a good 150yd gun with hot 300gr loads. It has the power and accuracy to do well much further but IMO it lacks the trajectory to be a hunter past 150yds, 6 inch gongs is easy at 200yds with a bit of hold over but when hunting I don't like to guess. 150yds is a good hunting max(125 may be better depending on load and sight) but for gongs 200yds is easy but stretch it to 500yds for a good challenge. Dave
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

As already said, you can use Ruger level loads with no worries. I wouldn't go beyond that though.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, if it mostly paper and some deer, I'd stick with the .45-70 (if it must be a .45). Truth be told I can't remember seeing a deer I could legally or safely shoot at 200 yards in this area. Mike knew where to go and permission to hunt places where he regularly killed deer at 0-500 yards but I have no such places. 125-150 yards would be a long shot in my haunts. The .45 Colt will do there, even with the receiver sight (no scope).,
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I will just chime in and recommend one of these:

I have one similar to that in 44 Mag with cch receiver. It's a great gun = mine is 20" polygonal barrel. I did purchase a safety replacement plug and new follower from Steves Gunz and recommend that as well.

This is mine:

Here's a good place to get em - you can puruse their offerings:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/56491

They have a "dealer finder" that lists all of the dealers that already have their paperwork logged with Buds = it is an extensive listing. You still need to talk to your dealer but this makes it easy once you come to an agreement with him on the transfer price - you just use your CC to make the purchase and specify that the gun be shipped to your dealer. Do be attentive to the actual listing of the gun as the barrel lengths of the pictures often don't match the description -which is what you will get if you order.

Now, having said all of that, I will also recommend the Marlin 94 - I have one of those (a cowboy with 24" polygonal barrel) and it's been an excellent rifle - used it back when I was in CAS.

Here it is with one of the Vaqueros that also did service in CAS for me:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

read what Paco says about .45C in a rifle.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm

rimrock
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I got one of the Puma 454 Casulls last year with the intention of re-barreling to a wildcat. In the process of playing with it I have got fond of the wide capabilities of this little beast, so have put re-barrel on hold. You can load old 45 Colt velocity level loads and enjoy plinking, or steam up to 300 grains at over 2000 fps if you need to repel bears, and it appears Paco and others get this with the regular 45 Colt. I use a 99 Savage as my main elk rifle, but this baby is going with me as a backup. And I won't feel the least bit bashful about whacking an elk at 200 yards if the opportunity arises.

These little '92s are wonderful, versatile rifles. My birthday is in July: one in .357 would make a great birthday present, now your have me thinking along "birthday present" lines, panzercat.

And just a little while ago finished replacing the front blade with the small ivory bead and the rear with Steve's peep that goes in the "stupid safety" hole. What a nifty looking setup. Will be shooting it tomorrow if we aren't getting a bunch of rain...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If it's hot loads Your lookin for and sometimes plinkers,why not just take a giant step and get a 45-70. it will do all You want and more. I have no Dog in it but there is a good looking Marlin on the classifieds right now.I have one just like it.Good Shootin.http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=33373
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Finding a Puma 454 Casul may be hard, but the Puma 480 Rugers could be easier to find. The 480 Ruger ammo made by Hornaday with either 325 grain or 400 grain bullets does just about everything that the 454 Casul will do, and at a bit less pressure.