Powder Price Shock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Powder Price Shock

Post by jdad »

I stopped at the local Wholesale Sports big box store and asked if they had any N110. They brought me out a 1 (ONE) pound tub and the price was $34! A 2 pound cylinder was $38 a little less than 2 years ago. I asked them to confirm the price and they said it was correct. I passed on it. When I got home I checked Midway and they charge $30 per pound before shipping and hazmat. I guess once my stash is gone I will have to switch over to 2400, for my 357 and 44 magnum loads. N110 is about the same velocities as 2400 per grain weight, but has very little flash, blast, and soot. Can you imagine if/when 2400 gets to $34 per pound.......
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Powder Price Shock

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I just dumped out a one pound can of Alcan #5 that had a $3.99
price tag on it.
It was given to me along with an old shotshell loader. I don`t want powder that old laying around my shop.

The last powder I bought was from Graff and Son`s and the price was not so bad IMHO. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A pound of W760 was only 21 bucks at Cabelas a couple weeks ago.... 8) 7mm 140gr Nosler Part. on the other had were 30 bucks for fifty :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The Fed has the printing presses running 24/7 churning out greenbacks with no green (or better yet, yellow) backing them. Which makes the dollars in our bank accounts worth less each 24 hour period. If those fools at the store are still willing to sell you a pound of real powder for a mere 34 of your puny dollars tomorrow, buy it. It won't get cheaper.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote:The Fed has the printing presses running 24/7 churning out greenbacks with no green (or better yet, yellow) backing them. Which makes the dollars in our bank accounts worth less each 24 hour period. If those fools at the store are still willing to sell you a pound of real powder for a mere 34 of your puny dollars tomorrow, buy it. It won't get cheaper.
Yep.

Same with "gasoline prices" - the gasoline is worth about the same as it has always been - it's just that the green puny dollars are only worth about 1/6th what they were in the 1970's...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Over here 2400 is £37.15 for a 500g tub, that's the equivalent of US$54 a pound. Gasoline just topped US$9 a gallon!
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

The other day I picked up a pound of H110 for $23.95 plus the 6.25% Massachusetts sales tax.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BlaineG wrote:A pound of W760 was only 21 bucks at Cabelas a couple weeks ago.... 8) 7mm 140gr Nosler Part. on the other had were 30 bucks for fifty :shock:

Did you see that Bi-Mart has MiniMags, on sale, for $4.99. It doesn't seem that long ago that the sale price was 2 for $5.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Powder Price Shock shop around don't expect good prices unle

Post by afish4570 »

you shop.....Powder Valley has $15/K for all but sm. pistol (20/k) Wolf or Tula haven't used them yet but I hear mixed reviews....Buy 10/k and no shipping or haz. mat plus you can add 40# to order. Bullseye is 99/8#,H110 & H335 are 135/8#..... I am not that good a shooter to enjoy any price difference between Vit...powder and the other competition. Thinking about using Ramshot instead of some of the other rifle powders as they seem to be alittle cheaper and it is a Montana co. (Not that all powders are made in USA) Back in '68 I remember Dupont jumped from $3.00/# to 3.75 ish and we all about died.....I switched to BLC2 for 2.75 for a while. Everything is gone the way of the 5 cent candy bar and the $5.00 to the Pediatrician office visit if you paid cash.Just an old guy trying to keep pluggin' .Sometimes the local gunshops have a bargain. It used to be they were slower to mark up stock as the price increased. afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:| I remember thinking a couple years before I retired from the Army that my retired pay and a 9 or 10 buck an hour gig would be EVER so nice........ Well, between COLAs and bettering my positions, I'm prolly doing 3x that, and it's still just nice...who would ever have thought that much money would be just OK.....I am on the west coast, so housing is a tad high. Washington has killer taxes and very high gas, too.
Don't get me wrong...I'm grateful everyday to have a job in these bad times.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: check out County Line Guns in McKenna (360-400-4010). They stock various powders with a good selection of primers to boot. Prices are competitive. I think it is best to buy poowder in 5# and 8#containers.

Good peole, they ride bikes, so you should fit right in. Located in an old church.

I only go to Cabela's or the former Sportsman's Warheouse when I can find what I want or need any place else.
Last edited by Ray Newman on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Yep, I used to think that a $10 or $15 an hour job along with my retirement pay would be just fine. LITTLE DID I KNOW! I have a job thats a bit better than that and its amazing how at times it seems to barely pay the bills. Kids arnt as cheap as they used to be when I was growing up! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

It's called "quantitative easing". The fed only has to buy back government securities thus inflating the money supply. It saves wear and tear on the printing presses at the U.S. Mint!

I recall paying $7 a pound for Unique back in 1980. But I was making $7 an hour then, not like the $27 I am making now. Mmm...$7 for powder then, $27 for powder now. What the?!?! The more things change the more they stay the same.

As for the price of everything else. Get ready for a price jump in food now that we are trading food for fuel (I'm talking corn/ethinol). Actually we have always had cheap food prices in this country. What with agriculture subsidies what we pay at the store is not what we realy pay for food.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The sstuff is spendy. Even tho it makes little more velocity. I did get 1# of H110 for $21. Now would like to find H4227 juxt to see if it really is the best for a 256WM
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

3leggedturtle wrote:The sstuff is spendy. Even tho it makes little more velocity. I did get 1# of H110 for $21. Now would like to find H4227 juxt to see if it really is the best for a 256WM
I believe that H4227 has been discontinued in favor of IMR4227. When Hodgdon pretty much cornered the market by taking control of IMR and Winchester powders they announced that they would start eliminating the less profitable duplicates such as H110/W296, W231/HP38, and so forth. The first of these was H4227.

PS - Maybe "cornered the market" is an exaggeration, but it seems that way to me. Yes, I do use some Alliant powders.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hobie wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:The sstuff is spendy. Even tho it makes little more velocity. I did get 1# of H110 for $21. Now would like to find H4227 juxt to see if it really is the best for a 256WM
I believe that H4227 has been discontinued in favor of IMR4227. When Hodgdon pretty much cornered the market by taking control of IMR and Winchester powders they announced that they would start eliminating the less profitable duplicates such as H110/W296, W231/HP38, and so forth. The first of these was H4227.

PS - Maybe "cornered the market" is an exaggeration, but it seems that way to me. Yes, I do use some Alliant powders.
Yes I think back in 06 I started looking for H4227 and the 3 gunshops i go to couldnt order it anymore. Just 1 more (of many)time that I started to late looking for something. HS7 has been discontinued too but got 8lbs real cheap and is a great powder for all the pistol cartridges in Contender Carbine. But hopefully 1 of my road trips will find some one day :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bought a can of Varget a couple weeks ago. First time ever it cost me over $30.00 to walk out with a pound of powder. Doesn't seem like all that long ago it was $14-$16/lb.

I figured up the cost of components with that powder and Nosler Match bullets in my 308.
A box of 20 rounds is $11.00 to handload. Not so cheap like it used to be to roll your own, but it beats $35-$40 for a box of factory match ammo.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep, my dealer told me powder prices are climbing and will continue to climb because like others have said, our money is fast becoming the way of the Italian Lira-----worthless.

Right now, I'm sitting on 24 # of 5744, 10# of Unique, 10#of 2400,8#of Bullseye and about 50 # of other mixed IMR powders. Should hold me for a year or two :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I can't afford to buy a single pound of powder at a time. I try and never buy less than an 8# keg and preferably 4 of those in a case :shock: A handloader will save huge that way.

With hazmat fees screwing a feller unless he's buying large quantities, I tend to buy at the old Sportsmans warehouse in Olympia for a single 4 or 8# keg as they have about the best prices. Cabela's across the freeway is just a place to stroll and drool...........especially in the gun library where I fritter my time away talking with John... :D Their components are usually way too high for me.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson