XTP for 44 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

XTP for 44 Mag

Post by RKrodle »

Sunday I picked up a Marlin 1894 in a trade. This is my first 44 mag of any kind and I was wanting a good jacketed bullet for hunting. What has been y'alls experience with the Hornady 240gr XTP for the 44 Rem Mag in a rifle? Will it hold up to the velocity of the 20 inch barrel and close shots? Any other suggestion on a good jacketed bullet?
Ricky

DWWC
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: XTP for 44 Mag

Post by dr walker »

I have shot 2 deer with that bullet. Both fired from a Marlin 1894. One in the neck at 30 feet and one through both lungs and far side shoulder at maybe 50 feet. I didnt recover either bullet. Wound was as expected. They are not the most accurate bullets out of my rifle, but they are acceptable.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Have not tried them in a .44, but I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and have had good luck with them. Also tried them in my 1895 in 45-70, but I like Buffalo Bores better in that. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Those and Speer Gold Dots have a sterling reputation.

I am more of a cast boolit man myself - used a 310 grain Lee gas check on that hog I shot last year with the carbine - was overkill.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

1 of only 2 jacketed .44 bullets that I use for game. My #1 choice is Remingtons 240gr JSP, #2 is the 240 XTP. Great performance on both deer and elk from either rifles or pistols.

For 99% of my overall shooting AND hunting requirements are met by my cast bullets. :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If the old Remington SJHP will work on hogs from a rifle I would think the XTP will do the same. I would use either from my guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

We made a ton of venison using 240 jsp in that rifle. Sure kills. 2 holes. No failures.

Grizz
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I shot some of them from my 6" S&W and the same load from my Marlin into wet phone books from about 15 feet. They performed identically, so I would have no problem with them for deer or hogs from the rifle.
NRA Life Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to loaded them up, sight it in, and see if I can find a hog to try it out on.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Grizz wrote:We made a ton of venison using 240 jsp in that rifle. Sure kills. 2 holes. No failures.

Grizz
I agree with Grizz...JSP's out of a rifle, not much luck with the XTP's they seem to frag when loaded with 23.5 grains of H110. Cavitates more meat than necessary and does not retain the same percentage of weight as the JSP's. Never had an issue out of my 7.5" Black Hawk though.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

This is not a perfect comparison, but the last shot I fired at game was a std..452 XTP 250 gr. The doe I shot at 175 yds w/ smokeless muzzleloader. Bullet left barrel about 2400FPS. Dont know downrange velocity. Deer turned toward me at the shot and i struck back in the lungs and went the lenght of the body cavity and exited the opposite thigh. probably 20" of penetration, with less meat damage than most centerfires. Did not find any fragments in the body. Ill be using the same load next year, performance is hard to beat.