OT: For the fans of the Sandy...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT: For the fans of the Sandy...

Post by awp101 »

I know there's a few vets here that have mentioned their love or appreciation of the Douglas A1 Skyraider (aka Sandy aka SPAD) when I've posted some VN era aviation pics.

I love those stories as much as I love old aircraft so guys, this one's for y'all:
Douglas_ A-1H_Skyraider_Yaa1h_1b.jpg
January 23, 2011 - Douglas A-1H Skyraider •
The Skyraider became a piston-powered, propeller-driven anachronism in the jet age, and was nicknamed "Spad", after a French World War 1 fighter. The Skyraider had a remarkably long and successful career and inspired a straight-winged, slow-flying, jet-powered successor, the A-10 Thunderbolt II ("Warthog").
http://www.planeaday.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: For the fans of the Sandy...

Post by jeepnik »

Low and slow, but carried a ton of weapons. And those guys could put it exactly where it was needed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

A real man's airplane there.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AWP, you have to see those birds in action to appreciate them Ive seen them cause charlie to cut and run, for troop support there is no better bird they can be shot to doll rags and come home that cant be said for a A37 in their own right a fine bomber but they were light for guns with only a minigun in the nose fine for troops but lacking against armor and nowhere as tough, its a sight to see a sandy wing over and roll in with his 20mm's talking. danny
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Now THAT'S an airplane!

I have the good fortune to serve one weekend a year at this WW2 show, in Reading Pa:http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

I hope that some year we get one of those planes to attend!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Homefront! It's great to see your post my friend. That looks like a great show, I would like to try and make it to that. You should post your painting.....haha. Posted this before so sorry to bore you fellers. My Dad in front of a Skyraider, Danang, RVN 1972-3.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Hi Chris; yeah, slowly coming back to life. :oops:

I think "my" painting's been posted before!

Did your dad fly or keep the boys in the air?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

homefront wrote:Hi Chris; yeah, slowly coming back to life. :oops:

I think "my" painting's been posted before!

Did your dad fly or keep the boys in the air?
Haha....good to hear! Now for a little sun/warmth and we're in business.
He was a J-79 mechanic but got his start on piston engines in the early 50's, so he might have worked on the A-1's. I'll have to ask him. He started flying privately while in the Air Force in the 60's and has flown commercially since he retired from the AF in 1973. He'll be 77 this year and is anxiously awaiting to fly the fire season again this year with the US Forest service.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Edit: sorry, double post.
Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

An AF Skyraider pilot spoke to our Boy Scout troop in 1968 at Rhein Main AB in Frankfurt, Germany. He was Major Bernie Fisher who was awarded the MOH for rescuing a fellow Skyraider pilot that was shot down and about to be captured. I still remember how fascinating it was to listen to him talk. He is the only MOH recipient that I have knowingly met, and his medal is still the only one that I have seen in real life.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

damienph wrote:An AF Skyraider pilot spoke to our Boy Scout troop in 1968 at Rhein Main AB in Frankfurt, Germany. He was Major Bernie Fisher who was awarded the MOH for rescuing a fellow Skyraider pilot that was shot down and about to be captured. I still remember how fascinating it was to listen to him talk. He is the only MOH recipient that I have knowingly met, and his medal is still the only one that I have seen in real life.
Cool.....
http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/fisher/fishermoh.htm
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

A long time ago I was stationed at Eglin AFB. We had a change of command ceremony for a new Wing Commander and I will never forget when it was announced that he had flown 135 missions in the Skyraider as an Air Commando during the Vietnam war.