Blade Front Sight ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Blade Front Sight ???

Post by 44/40 »

I seem to do much better work with a six o'clock hold using a square topped blade front with a tang or receiver aperture rear sight. I usually end up filing the bead front to try to square it up.
Does anyone have a source for a "proper" blade that would look correct in the dovetail on my octagon barreled cowboys and also ones for the dovetailed ramp on my other leverguns ? Thanks for any help.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I replaced the worn down front sight on my original Winchester 1873 witha repro Lyman #21 fom Buffalo Arms:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4422.htm
Looks period correct - in fact it is the same as the one originally fitted, and works great with a Marbles tang sight.
Perry Owens
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

I've been looking at those for my Marlin 1894 CB. The only problem is they don't tell how tall the sight is.
Did you measure yours?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Joe,

On my Cowboy, I've got a Win 94 front post from a 20" Trails End 45colt.

It looks a lot more period correct than the Marlin stock site.

I also, replaced the Marlin factory rear sight with a Win94 one.

BTW, this one is .470"

Browning has them for $10

perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I've been looking at those for my Marlin 1894 CB. The only problem is they don't tell how tall the sight is.
Did you measure yours?

Joe
Joe,
I will measure it when I get home tonight.
Perry Owens
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

meanc,

I have one of those .470" Win Trapper sights in my goodie box. One I get the rifle D&T'd for a receiver sight then I'll start my experimentation.

Perry,

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Check Dixie Gunworks' online site. They have blade a variety of blade sights that would look good on an octagon barrel. I purchased two of the Ted Cash blanks and put them on a couple of Marlin 336s of mine. Plenty of blade there so you can file them to whatever shape and height you need, and they're very inexpensive.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I bought a blade from Skinner sights for my356. great sight. I bought the brass one but he also has a blue one. he will make them, any height and ssize you want. I like the brass one for visibility in low light, but what ever turns your crank.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
rjsixgun
Levergunner

Post by rjsixgun »

I bought mine from Brokmans, I believe Brownells now carries the Brockman fronts sights also.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/direct_sales.asp

There are 2 models, one for ramps and one for dovetailed barrels and they come in 2 or three hights.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Did you measure yours?
0.365in from bottom of base to top of blade.
Perry Owens
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

perry owens wrote:
Did you measure yours?
0.365in from bottom of base to top of blade.
Perry Owens
Muy excelente. That is just .005" over what I calculated I needed for my rifle. The .500" factory front sight was WAY too tall.

Thanks .

Joe
Rhys.94.375
Levergunner

Post by Rhys.94.375 »

Hey fellas,
Can someone help me with front blade heights?

the front blade that is on my rifle now is .250

if i have the dot low in the rear sight it shoots 6 inches high at 90meters....
Can anyone help?
]Thanks
Nueces
Levergunner

Post by Nueces »

Hi, Rhys

Measure your sight radius, in inches, then multiply by the 6 inches you are too high. Then divide by your 90m range, also in inches, or 90 x 39.37, to arrive at how much higher your front sight should be for that range.

Example, for a sight radius of 20 inches: 20 inches x 6 inches, divided by the product of 90 meters and 39.37 inches/meter, yields a sight height increase of 0.034 inches. New sight will be 0.284 inches tall. The taller front sight depresses your muzzle and lowers your impact point.

If your rear sight is step-adjustable, you may choose to redo this calculation with your rear sight in an intermediate notch, for future versatility. If moving it two notches raises the rear sight by, say, 0.08 inches, then your front sight would need the same increase to keep up - no need to reshoot, unless you need an excuse for more range time. :D

Mark