Humor: Gurkhas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Humor: Gurkhas

Post by awp101 »

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Humor: Gurkhas

Post by 2ndovc »

:lol: :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'd think he'd be a little more intimidating if he wasn't wearing his hat tilted on the side of head :roll:
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

OK, YOU can tell him how to wear his hat :roll:
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I want a real knife like that!Have a gun show remake but not the real deal.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Toughest, most humble professionals i have ever met... The gurkha's
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never met a Gurkha. But long, long ago in a country far, far away, I met a bunch of Koreans. They weren't all that big either, and for the most part they were pretty friendly. But I sure wouldn't have wanted to get on their bad side. Funny, they liked big knives too, though not quite so large as the Gurkhas.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

JB wrote:I'd think he'd be a little more intimidating if he wasn't wearing his hat tilted on the side of head :roll:
Just the Gurkha way... :D

Lance Naik (LCPL) Bhanbhagta Gurung, VC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Based on the reputation that the Gurkhas have earned, I don't care how they wear their hats. I would like one of the knives. They are made of plain carbon steel, but they are well made and have been used to great effect.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

When Dad was overseas in Taiwan there was a Chinese man working the Officers Club that had been a hand to hand combat instructor for their army.One day they talked him into a demonstration against a GI who thought he knew Karate needless to say he learned different that day.Johnson was one who smiled all the time too-he later said he was afraid the whole time-afraid he would accidently kill the GI.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure if they still make them but at one time Cold Steel made a nice working knife along those lines.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've met most of a battalion of Gurkhas transiting into the AOR.

Little guys, big smiles....don't ever mess with them.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

These guys sell the real deal, from basic working blades to super-fancy.

I have friends who've been to Nepal and have Kukris, and have also bought from these guys. They're pretty decent.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got to meet and work with them in ROK. True story: If you ask to handle one of their knives, it has to draw blood when it comes out....yours, his, doesn't matter. They will respect you if it's yours...just a little from the finger is ok. They bring their own rum with them.....Quite a bunch of party animals. After an evening with them, I now call their rum "Old Skull Crusher" :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:I got to meet and work with them in ROK. True story: If you ask to handle one of their knives, it has to draw blood when it comes out....yours, his, doesn't matter. They will respect you if it's yours...just a little from the finger is ok. They bring their own rum with them.....Quite a bunch of party animals. After an evening with them, I now call their rum "Old Skull Crusher" :lol:
I only dealt with them in the mess hall. Good bunch though. They sure can "parade". Many of us found it a bit funny that the Gurkha regiments had pipers. It was always a good time to watch the honor guard and band. You guys had reason to be proud.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The British officers who work with the Gurkhas are a one way deal. Kind of like losing your virginity, they don't go "back" to a regular unit. At least that's how it worked back in the day, not sure if they still keep that policy.

Back in WW1 a British Gurkha officer won the Victoria Cross when his troops were attacking and under fire from a German machine gun (six man crew). He crawled around presumably at least a hundred yards or so under fire, dove in the gun position.

Shot three with his Webley and kukri'd the other three.

You can bet his troops backed him up......guys like that don't come along every day.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

MrMurphy wrote:
You can bet his troops backed him up......guys like that don't come along every day.
Actually they are more common than you think. Just that here we call them Special Forces.
God Bless and Keep Safe our troops who are doing their part to keep us safe.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Despite all the legends and stories about the khukari, it's actually more of a tool than a weapon. The Gurkas in the jungles of WWII used them for tools and didn't have to cut themselves before putting them away. Even small cuts in the jungle can lead to nasty infections. The people of Nepal use them for everyday work. You can buy actual WWII era and pre WWII period khukaris from IMA.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'd think he'd be a little more intimidating if he wasn't wearing his hat tilted on the side of head
I ain't at all concerned with how the fella's wearin' his hat...........

Just sayin'.... :)

-Stretch
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Britain now has only two Gurkha battalions, one UK based and the other in Brunei. There are, however, seven Gurkha regiments in the Indian Army amounting to a total of 39 battalions. All but one of these was formerly a British Gurkha regiment.

I met a few individual Gurkha NCO trainees at our Jungle Training Centre in the early 70s. Outstanding soldiers.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

model55, may I suggest you just put an edge on yours, if possible, or isn't it made of a metal that'll hold an edge? jd45
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Have a WWII era kukris given to me last summer. My fathers neighbor had a relative die who fought in the Burma theatre. They were going to throw some of his stuff away and my Dad recognized it for what it was and sent it to me.

Don't even know the owners name but would love to know the blades story. It resides in my gun cabinet in a place of honor to our heroes.

Don
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Here's a very recent story about a Gorkha:
http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index ... s_id=27100
Brave guys indeed.

MrMurphy's suggestion of Himalayan Imports is the best value for anyone interested in a khukuri. They are hand-forged from old Mercedes/truck leaf springs, 5160 steel, by smiths(kamis) that are hired on by the BirGorkha manufacturing company for their ability to make a quality blade. They are shipped from Nepal to Reno, Nevada for distribution. They come with a great guarantee and Yangdu Martino in Reno is always ready to help with any questions. They have a manufacturer's Forum at bladeforums.com and you can feel free to ask me any questions. If I don't know the answer then I'll do my best to direct you to it.

Didn't anticipate my first posting here to be about the khukuri. I came here to learn about lever action rifles in anticipation of acquiring my first firearm. I've learned a vast amount in the last three weeks or so and thank you all for freely sharing your knowledge and experience.The feel that I get from this Forum is similar to the HI Forum that I've been a member of for a little over a year and knew that I had to join up with this bunch of steel collectors, too.

My best to you and yours and, again, Thanks.

Peace

Rick
Last edited by stickfred on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

stickfred wrote:Here's a very recent story about a Gorkha:
http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index ... s_id=27100
Brave guys indeed.

MrMurphy's suggestion of Himalayan Imports is the best value for anyone interested in a khukuri. They are hand-forged from old Mercedes/truck leaf springs, 5160 steel, by smiths(kamis) that are hired on by the BirGorkha manufacturing company for their ability to make a quality blade. They are shipped from Nepal to Reno, Nevada for distribution. They come with a great guarantee and Yangdu Martino in Reno is always ready to help with any questions. They have a manufacturer's Forum at bladeforums.com.

Didn't anticipate my first posting here to be about the khukuri. I came here to learn about lever action rifles in anticipation of acquiring my first firearm. I've learned a vast amount in the last three weeks or so and thank you all for freely sharing your knowledge and experience.The feel that I get from this Forum is similar to the HI Forum that I've been a member of for a little over a year and knew that I had to join up with this bunch of steel collectors, too.

My best to you and yours and, again, Thanks.

Peace

Rick
Welcome to the forum Rick!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
waterone
Levergunner

Post by waterone »

My father was in WWII in the China-Burma theater, for at least a time along the route of the Burma Road, and then during the buidling of the Burma Rd.

Of the various thing he brought back from the war, was a Kukri that he treasured quite a bit - and I don't mean in a wall hanger way, to him it was a tool to be used for principally cutting vegatation, but definatley not abusing. He told me when I asked where he got, he told me it was given to him by some gurkhas, who were as tough a fighters he's ever want to see, he had deep respect for them and there units. As as he had been around some British officers, he didn't much care for them, but the British officers who were posted to Gurkha regiments he was quite impressed with.

As far as the handling of a kukri, my father said he was instructed by his Gurkha friends to use it thusly - "just chop with it." What someone who is unfamiliar with the tool finds out, after watching Gurhkas use it, is that there are no sophisticated moves, "katas" etc. for use, just the long daily familiarlity of the use of a daily tool. Except in this case, the tool is a pretty long and sharp knife, wielded by someone who just gets the job done, without pretense or showing off. Which all in all is pretty impresssive in todays world.

If you remember, when Argentina invaded the Faulkland Islands, Britian sent a force to recapture the islands from the invaders, a Argentinian general made a point of taunting the Brits, with the his Goucho (sp) troops, another group of working men with a "knife culture" would easily slice up the Gurkhas. Well, lets just say, it didn't turn out that way, Argentian troops gave up to the Gurkhas faster than to other troops, after reports where, that when the fighting got close, the Gurkas put their rifles on tight slings, and drew kukris and then jumped into foxholes. Or at least that's what the reports where - but then that's what the reports have been for Gurkas for 200 years.

BTW, my father told me that the Gurkhas had a great sense of humor.
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Thank you Alan. Its good to be aboard.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

waterone wrote: If you remember, when Argentina invaded the Faulkland Islands, Britian sent a force to recapture the islands from the invaders, a Argentinian general made a point of taunting the Brits, with the his Goucho (sp) troops, another group of working men with a "knife culture" would easily slice up the Gurkhas. Well, lets just say, it didn't turn out that way, Argentian troops gave up to the Gurkhas faster than to other troops, after reports where, that when the fighting got close, the Gurkas put their rifles on tight slings, and drew kukris and then jumped into foxholes. Or at least that's what the reports where - but then that's what the reports have been for Gurkas for 200 years.

:twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

The Gurkas are highly regarded as security forces for cruise lines.Several of the cruises I have been on have them as the boat security force.They are extremely polite and pleasant.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

waterone wrote: If you remember, when Argentina invaded the Faulkland Islands, Britian sent a force to recapture the islands from the invaders, a Argentinian general made a point of taunting the Brits, with the his Goucho (sp) troops, another group of working men with a "knife culture" would easily slice up the Gurkhas. Well, lets just say, it didn't turn out that way, Argentian troops gave up to the Gurkhas faster than to other troops, after reports where, that when the fighting got close, the Gurkas put their rifles on tight slings, and drew kukris and then jumped into foxholes. Or at least that's what the reports where - but then that's what the reports have been for Gurkas for 200 years.
I think this is mostly more the Gurka legend. Although there were Gurkas sent to the Falkland Islands, most sources say they saw very little to no actual combat.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Falklands campaign had a lot of marching and small skirmishes, so nobody saw a "lot" of combat except towards the end.

When you consider the competition to even qualify to apply to become a Gurkha in Nepal makes Ranger school look like a walk in the park...they have reputation, history, and also a heavy pay increase (comparatively speaking British troops aren't that well paid, but compared to the Nepalese economy, the Gurkhas are rich)...they have very good reason to be the absolute best in the world they can be.

When i was deployed we had Nepalese barbers, about 20 of them working rotations in the barber shop (open 24/7) even making something like 50 cents a haircut (toss in maybe a dollar tip) there were always anywhere from 10-50 guys getting their hair cut, so individually the barbers were making 3-4 times their normal income in Nepal. Good gig for them.

The kukri's a tool before it's a weapon, but just like a machete or an axe in the hands of someone who uses it daily, it takes little to go from one to the other.

I wouldn't want to mess with a Filipino tribesman or any of the rural South American types who had a machete in their hands, and going back in history, the Viking/Gallic/Norman seax and francesca (light axe, used for utility purposes as well as thrown/hacked with as a weapon) all pretty much started out the same way.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have a few khukris purchased from HI and they are works or art compared to the garbage knives from IMA. I've stopped using a traditional machete for clearing brush and exclusively use an HI khukri because it works so much faster.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Noah Zark wrote:I have a few khukris purchased from HI and they are works or art compared to the garbage knives from IMA. I've stopped using a traditional machete for clearing brush and exclusively use an HI khukri because it works so much faster.

Noah
It depends upon what you after. Those would be better to buy for actual use cutting brush, but the IMA knives are actual collectible vintage knives. I don't see how you could call the originals garbage anymore than you could call the original Martini Henry rifles garbage. It would be like calling an original 1873 Winchester garbage because the bluing and bore weren't as nice as a current Italian copy.
Last edited by JB on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

JB wrote: It depends upon what you after. Those would be better to buy for actual use cutting brush, but the IMA knives are actual collectible vintage knives. I don't see how you could call the originals garbage anymore than you could call the original Martini Henry knives garbage. It would be like calling an original 1873 Winchester garbage because the bluing and bore weren't as nice as a current Italian copy.
I'm not certain we are talking about the same thing. I ordered a khukri from IMA about four years ago and it was far from an "actual collectible vintage knife." It was a recent knock-off made in India and poorly executed with very little hardness to the edge. That's the junk to which I refer.

Noah
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Noah Zark wrote:
JB wrote: It depends upon what you after. Those would be better to buy for actual use cutting brush, but the IMA knives are actual collectible vintage knives. I don't see how you could call the originals garbage anymore than you could call the original Martini Henry knives garbage. It would be like calling an original 1873 Winchester garbage because the bluing and bore weren't as nice as a current Italian copy.
I'm not certain we are talking about the same thing. I ordered a khukri from IMA about four years ago and it was far from an "actual collectible vintage knife." It was a recent knock-off made in India and poorly executed with very little hardness to the edge. That's the junk to which I refer.

Noah
We must be. Evidently they are or were selling some new khukris as well. I was talking about the original WWII dated and pre WWII khukris they are selling.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

JB wrote: . . . I was talking about the original WWII dated and pre WWII khukris they are selling.
I was referring to the current production stuff about 2005-2006, not the WWII and pre-WWII knives. Sorry for the confusion.

Noah
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cold Steel makes a utility grade, carbon steel, powder coated one that is utile, but hardly collectable. As a surveyor, I've brushed miles and miles of line and a good machette can not be beat for speed and being useful. A light, 24" one is best, and a stone to keep the edge on it throughout the day.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Stan in SC wrote:The Gurkas are highly regarded as security forces for cruise lines.Several of the cruises I have been on have them as the boat security force.They are extremely polite and pleasant.

Stan in SC

See it's true "An armed society IS a polite society".
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

stickfred wrote:Didn't anticipate my first posting here to be about the khukuri. I came here to learn about lever action rifles in anticipation of acquiring my first firearm. I've learned a vast amount in the last three weeks or so and thank you all for freely sharing your knowledge and experience.The feel that I get from this Forum is similar to the HI Forum that I've been a member of for a little over a year and knew that I had to join up with this bunch of steel collectors, too.
Yea, Rick, the guys here know a lot about a lot of things, but not so much about leverguns. For that, you should maybe mosey over to the Smith & Wesson forum...

*duck* *run* *bob* *weave* :-)
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

You gettin' some flak Retro?
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

One story of a Gurka on another forum tells of a recent incident where one Gurka was going home, early retirement from his Regiment. Taking the train when fourty (40) bandits managed to board the train and began robbing the passengers of any thing of value, money, jewelry, laptops, cell phones etc. When some of the bad guys got to where the Gurka was siting, they decided they were going to gang rape an 18 year old girl siting with her parents and family. She appealed to the Gurka for help. He subsequently killed three bandits, badly wounded eight others with his Kukri, this caused the other bandits to run away. His regiment gave him 50,000 Rupees, are taking him back out of retirement with a promotion. The girl's family want to give him 300,000 Rupee reward. He was also given a lifetime pass by the air lines, special rider privledges and was escorted home by two other Gurka's from his own regiment as he had suffered deep cutting wounds on his left hand. Quite a stir about it in Nepal. His daddy who is a retired Gurka is proud as can be, he was said to be a nice guy, quiet with a good sense of humor. ATB
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

My last site security manager was also a little Gurkha with a big smile, a very pleasant and easy bloke to get along with.
We worked a twenty story building and he could run from ground to twenty up the fire escape in 3.25 minutes in his combat boots, and 3.5 if he ran five miles or so first, so I wouldn't be game to bet against a Gurkha in a tough contest.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

Over here we honour and respect 'our' Gurkhas.
Recently in an attempt to cut down on imigration, our government removed some of the right to residency for Gurkhas. The public went wild and that right is now enshrined in law.

It is correct that during the Falklands war the Gurkhas were held back from front line duty. This was a political expediency as we had to get support of word opinion and puttin 'Coloured' troops in the front would have caused problems in the world press.
HOVEVER they were given the job of mopping up and to this day the Agentine government insists that it didn't get all it's men back.... Don't mess about with a Gurkha. :roll:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Cliff wrote:One story of a Gurka on another forum tells of a recent incident where one Gurka was going home, early retirement from his Regiment. Taking the train when fourty (40) bandits managed to board the train and began robbing the passengers of any thing of value, money, jewelry, laptops, cell phones etc. When some of the bad guys got to where the Gurka was siting, they decided they were going to gang rape an 18 year old girl siting with her parents and family. She appealed to the Gurka for help. He subsequently killed three bandits, badly wounded eight others with his Kukri, this caused the other bandits to run away. His regiment gave him 50,000 Rupees, are taking him back out of retirement with a promotion. The girl's family want to give him 300,000 Rupee reward. He was also given a lifetime pass by the air lines, special rider privledges and was escorted home by two other Gurka's from his own regiment as he had suffered deep cutting wounds on his left hand. Quite a stir about it in Nepal. His daddy who is a retired Gurka is proud as can be, he was said to be a nice guy, quiet with a good sense of humor. ATB
Evidently they robbed the train without guns.