Rossi's NEW .410 Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Rossi's NEW .410 Leverguns

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi's NEW .410 Leverguns

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK... the Circuit Judge is simply an abortion, but the others I can grok.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

:!: :?: ...as in "I Grok Spock"? :?: :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Re the Judge - ????
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

So they bought Marlin then?!

Bet we never see one over here!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ok, re:Circuit Judge Leveraction ... now they're just throwing darts with their eyes closed. I get the Marlin copies. I get the Mare's Leg .410. But the Leverevolver thing is out of control.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That Mare's Laig is about the best Mare's laig I have seen. At least with .410 you woudl be able to hit something.

I also like their full size Lever .410.

I have been wanting to pick up another .410 lever to shoot. That would be nice. I hope they make one with a longer barrel.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Oh yeah, I can see a lot of fun with the .410 Mares's Leg, even more fun than one in 22LR.

The whole Judge thing never just appealed to me at all, however, the "leverjudge"... Well, I may have to borrow some eye bleach from awp101...
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

damienph wrote:Oh yeah, I can see a lot of fun with the .410 Mares's Leg, even more fun than one in 22LR.

The whole Judge thing never just appealed to me at all, however, the "leverjudge"... Well, I may have to borrow some eye bleach from awp101...

I have the Judge in 3" mag with the 3" barrel and really like it......for what it is.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oooh... this may cause me to re-think my previous plan to buy a "Ranch Hand" from Rossi (their "regular" mare's leg)... 8) 8) 8)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

A 45-70/410, huh? I've all but given up hope in getting my lever .454, so I'm not too optomistic on the availibility of these particular rifles either. Then you have to deal with shot, rifling and donut patterns if you want any sort of shell accuracy... Uhg.

That, and the lever judge just offends my sensibilities. :shock:
Last edited by Panzercat on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks like the answer to a question nobody ever asked.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I do not get the whole Judge thing either, but I see that S&W has now released a .410, 45 Colt, 45 ACP double action revolver based on a stretched N frame. WHY?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Rube Burrows wrote:
damienph wrote:Oh yeah, I can see a lot of fun with the .410 Mares's Leg, even more fun than one in 22LR.

I have the Judge in 3" mag with the 3" barrel and really like it......for what it is.

My brother in law loves his, I've even shot it a couple of times. I don't have anything against them, it just doesn't do it for me.
PEteacher
Levergunner

Post by PEteacher »

"OK... the Circuit Judge is simply an abortion, but the others I can grok."

"grok" - Is that Heinlein?

Jeff
"Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
from "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Panzercat wrote:A 45-70/410, huh? I've all but given up hope in getting my lever .454, so I'm not too optomistic on the availibility of these particular rifles either. Then you have to deal with shot, rifling and donut patterns if you want any sort of shell accuracy... Uhg.

I dont think that its one model that shoots 45-70 and .410. I think if you read the print on the side it looks like its either or. You can get either the 45-70 or the .410.

Dont it read that way?

"BOTH NEW MODELS" meaning either the new model that shoots .410 or the new model that shoots 45-70.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Rube Burrows wrote:
Panzercat wrote:A 45-70/410, huh? I've all but given up hope in getting my lever .454, so I'm not too optomistic on the availibility of these particular rifles either. Then you have to deal with shot, rifling and donut patterns if you want any sort of shell accuracy... Uhg.

I dont think that its one model that shoots 45-70 and .410. I think if you read the print on the side it looks like its either or. You can get either the 45-70 or the .410.

Dont it read that way?

"BOTH NEW MODELS" meaning either the new model that shoots .410 or the new model that shoots 45-70.

I once tried chambering a .410 in my Buffalo Classic; loose fit plus the extractor slipped over the .410 rim and I had a heck of a time getting it out. I can't see how they could be interchangeable.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Oooh... this may cause me to re-think my previous plan to buy a "Ranch Hand" from Rossi (their "regular" mare's leg)... 8) 8) 8)

Yeah... a .410 mare's leg with 4 00buck loads would be pretty impressive...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Oooh... this may cause me to re-think my previous plan to buy a "Ranch Hand" from Rossi (their "regular" mare's leg)... 8) 8) 8)

Yeah... a .410 mare's leg with 4 00buck loads would be pretty impressive...

And FUN to shoot! With #6 shot it would be a great barn gun when I go feed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:A 45-70/410, huh? I've all but given up hope in getting my lever .454, so I'm not too optomistic on the availibility of these particular rifles either.
I've seen some blued ones in-stock at Gander Mountain in Indianapolis; they'd ship to your local dealer I'm sure.

Rube Burrows wrote:I dont think that its one model that shoots 45-70 and .410. I think if you read the print on the side it looks like its either or. You can get either the 45-70 or the .410.
Yep. Now I do think it could be possible to make a .444 Marlin/.410 combo - or at least I've known folks to shoot .410's in the .444 without problems.

Rusty wrote:It looks like the answer to a question nobody ever asked.
Yep. That's true for pretty much any "new" gun these days; only a very few of them 'stick'.

Still, some of them make fun 'toys' to fiddle with... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

That circuit judge strike me as ugly. The rest eh ok.
Alan Wood
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are some things that just aren't interesting to me, until you make them in a .22LR/Mag chambering...
Rossi 22 mag revolver carbine 2.jpg
...then all of a sudden they start looking FUN and affordable to dink around with. 8) 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nath wrote:So they bought Marlin then?!

Bet we never see one over here!

N.
Remington owns marlin

that is fugly.....

I like the ranchhand mares leg sort of
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

these appeal to me, I have been wanting to make up a rifled barrel 410, and reload with brass cases, I live in a shotgun only deer hunting state, and believe with the right gun and right reloads, that I would beable to get a 200 yard deer poker :mrgreen: its about as close to a real rifle as I can get and still be legal in our state
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

azzhandler wrote:these appeal to me, I have been wanting to make up a rifled barrel 410, and reload with brass cases, I live in a shotgun only deer hunting state, and believe with the right gun and right reloads, that I would beable to get a 200 yard deer poker :mrgreen: its about as close to a real rifle as I can get and still be legal in our state
At one time I bought a ".45 Colt/.410" breakopen for just that purpose. Even thought about sorta accidentally using .45 Colt loads in it, but the year I bought it, they announced the new "pistol-caliber rifle season" here.

The gun of course was horribly inaccurate with .45 Colt loads anyway due to the long jump to the rifling. My plan was to find brass-cased .410 shells and reload them, just as if they were a large but low-pressure rifle cartridge.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

AJMD429 wrote:... My plan was to find brass-cased .410 shells and reload them, just as if they were a large but low-pressure rifle cartridge.
Like these I assume.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Those who I know that have bought the .410 revolvers were not handgun shooters prior to their Judge ownership. So now they have a handgun that they think will make up for non-existent skills. Falls in line with the thinking that in using a shotgun for defense you just have to point it in the general direction of your target, pull the trigger and problem solved. It is all marketing and the sales are great for the industry, but I see too many folks that have this false sense of security from these hand-shotguns.

one man's opinion Kevin
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

azzhandler wrote:these appeal to me, I have been wanting to make up a rifled barrel 410, and reload with brass cases, I live in a shotgun only deer hunting state, and believe with the right gun and right reloads, that I would beable to get a 200 yard deer poker :mrgreen: its about as close to a real rifle as I can get and still be legal in our state
Interesting, some very gray area concerning shotgun only laws.
A .410 is a rifle caliber (illegal here in PA. for Deer BTW) being used with
a fully rifled barrel, In my thinking it’s a .41 caliber rifle. I wonder
what a game warden would say if he saw those brass .410’s loaded
with a bullet. Sure would be some very cool looking rounds 8)
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

rifled barrel shotguns are legal in ohio, there are a few different rifle cases that you can use to make 410 loads, but I would be sure to go to the extra expense and buy the 410 marked brass cases, like it was said there is a very fine line , on what would be legal. I have thought about this project for a couple of years, and this might just be the platform gun to take the pressures that I would want,
On the other hand, I have a old H&R sxs shotgun with external hammers that is marked 44cal.
and a lil voice keeps telling me to install a chamber liner in 32 long colt, and have the second barrel set for a 3 inch 410,
should be 1 heck of a squirrel getter, and i doubt anyone else in my squirrel woods would have 1 :mrgreen: decisions decisions
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

azzhandler wrote:rifled barrel shotguns are legal in ohio, there are a few different rifle cases that you can use to make 410 loads, but I would be sure to go to the extra expense and buy the 410 marked brass cases, like it was said there is a very fine line , on what would be legal. I have thought about this project for a couple of years, and this might just be the platform gun to take the pressures that I would want,
On the other hand, I have a old H&R sxs shotgun with external hammers that is marked 44cal.
and a lil voice keeps telling me to install a chamber liner in 32 long colt, and have the second barrel set for a 3 inch 410,
should be 1 heck of a squirrel getter, and i doubt anyone else in my squirrel woods would have 1 :mrgreen: decisions decisions
8)
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

The trail judge is not bad looking, and does make a little sense in .410. That circuit judge is the ugliest thing I have ever seen and why the lever when it was already in revolver form and all you had to do was pull the trigger? I try not to be critical of others choices as some do on this forum but sure do wonder why anyone would spend good money for a circuit judge. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

That trail judge is pretty. But for a regular length rifle I perfer a pump.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

If I was to ever to get a .410, hands down it would be one of these :)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'll second what everybody else said about the lever action revolver --- it looks like something a 5 year old came up with.

The conventional ones look alright --- not sure the world needs yet another Mares Leg though
----- Doug
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the mares leg :o
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:I like the mares leg :o
Me too, though the circuit judge is an abomination!
Last edited by alnitak on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, that Circuit Judge levergun looks like someone's been at work with a bent coathanger. :cry:

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

casastahle wrote:
Interesting, some very gray area concerning shotgun only laws.
A .410 is a rifle caliber (illegal here in PA. for Deer BTW) being used with
a fully rifled barrel, In my thinking it’s a .41 caliber rifle. I wonder
what a game warden would say if he saw those brass .410’s loaded
with a bullet. Sure would be some very cool looking rounds 8)
Are you stating that fully rifled shotgun barrels are illegal for deer in pa. , or that only one's in .410 are? I'm missing something here. Thanks, Tman.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old Ironsights wrote:OK... the Circuit Judge is simply an abortion, but the others I can grok.
Nailed it, +1 :lol:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

looks like they are also offering a model 1892 rifle [scaled down?] in 22 lr..... that might be a nice 22 lever gun !?

http://www.rossiusa.com/2011newcatalog/?catalog_page=9
cable
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Streetstar wrote:not sure the world needs yet another Mares Leg though

Needs? I am not convinced the firearm industry is based on needs.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

damienph wrote:
Streetstar wrote:not sure the world needs yet another Mares Leg though

Needs? I am not convinced the firearm industry is based on needs.
Bingo! Just like I don't want politicians telling me what I "need", I don't want the firearms industry limiting their output to what they think only fills a "need". I already have all the guns I'd ever "need", but not nearly as many as I "want"! :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I look at the .410 Mare's Leg this way...

It's a heck of a lot cooler, and somewhat more practical, than other "backpack" (single shot) .410s like the "Snake Charmer"...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!