casting alloy? I hope..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

casting alloy? I hope..

Post by morgan in nm »

Lately at work we have been taking apart propane tanks to make cookers and smokers and have been coming across some weights that were used for the liquid guages that are of some unknown alloy to me. I thought at first that it would be a good hard ball alloy as you can scratch it good with a pocket knife(shows as hard as pure linotype) but one problem, its magnetic. I don't have a clue as to what it is. They are in 1lb ingots dated around the 30's. anybody have an idea?
Don McDowell

Re: casting alloy? I hope..

Post by Don McDowell »

Maybe a babbit alloy of some kind.
Enough tin content and it could show magnetic tendancies.
Melt some down cast some bullets and see where the diameter and weight come out. Then you can decide if you want to shoot them or not.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don McDowell wrote:Melt some down cast some bullets and see where the diameter and weight come out. Then you can decide if you want to shoot them or not.
+1 That'd be my thought.
Old Law Dawg
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That's a levergunner attitude there. One man's waste metal, another man's bullets. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Maybe they have enough tin to be useful for alloying your own bullet metal? For years I have been using pure lead and alloying it with 50/50 lead/tin solder to get either 20:1 or 30:1 bullet metal but haven't been able to buy bar solder from the plumbing supply houses here. Thanks a lot tree huggers. I do have a name and address for a source of pure tin that I will order as soon as I run out of bullet metal.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS