My new woods walking gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

My new woods walking gun

Post by rjohns94 »

My views on these things seem to flounder from one thing to another. Over the years I have gone from .44 mag to .22 to .357 and to .45 colt. I have considered semis in .45acp, 10 mm, .22. I have gone from snub nose to 7 1/2 inch and all in between. I have carried those that burn black powder and white. Some would say I'm indecisive. I would say I am very particular. So when I went from .429 caliber to .357, I had the right reasons. When I then went to the .45 Colt , i had the right reasons. And I think, I have made the switch now for some great reasons. The Colt SAA has been doing the job for 13 decades. the calibers have been varied but seems to stand out as special - the .44 special. So when I had the opportunity to get a second .44 special made by colt, in my favorite barrel length of 5.5 inches, and it was a 2nd generation instead of 3rd gen, made near my birthdate, well, I just couldn't resist. Its a 1959 version and in one of my favorite all time calibers, .44 special. here it is, in all its glory:

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My new woods walking gun

Post by TedH »

Very nice Mike! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

The just feel and point so well. Nice revolver in a grand caliber.
Zack
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice, Mike. You should get along with that one just fine.
Old Law Dawg
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Beautiful Colt, Mike!!!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Niiiice!
"That'll Be The Day"
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Very nice Mike :D When you find a match to that Colt, let me know if you want to rid yourself of that nasty FA97 of yours :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Skeeter wrote this on the .44 special in 1966:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The_44Special ... raisal.htm
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

She's a beaut!!!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great find!!! My favorite caliber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looks great Mike! A classic pistol in a classic caliber.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That article by Skeeter made Me appreciate My Colt 44sp a little more. My goodness Guns were expensive then, 200 bucks for a custom Colt with $20 Ivory Grips and tuned to boot.
There is a thread with the question that asked who wants to go back to when They were 20. I do if I can take a little money with Me. lol
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice score Mike 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stunning! Simply stunning!!!

Congrats Mike!!! :D
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Wow!! Very nice looking revolver.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sweet!!
That's gonna be fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ohh what a sweety :D

Nice find Mike :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very cool look'n shooter...enjoy it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You get the bestest toys.... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Great looking Colt. Congratulations!

This would be a great thread to hijack with the 44 special vs 45 colt argument, or maybe the 5.5 inch vs 4 1/4 inch vs 7 inch barrel/balance discussion..... :twisted:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SJPrice wrote:Great looking Colt. Congratulations!

This would be a great thread to hijack with the 44 special vs 45 colt argument, or maybe the 5.5 inch vs 4 1/4 inch vs 7 inch barrel/balance discussion..... :twisted:
Nope..... .44mag is best. 44 Special ++P performance (240s--1100fps) @ low pressure. :wink: 4 5/8" is best.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well, I think we have done the 44 mag vs 45 colt thing here before. It was what convinced me the 45 colt, if handloaded, could out perform the .44 mag in a firearm that could take it. Bigger is always better I think! Size matters. However, I was thinking I need a woods walking gun that might have to take on grizz or other such thing that just doesn't happen here in south central penns woods. I have on hand Buffalo Bore heavy 44 special loads and they will take on anything here I might see and a few things bigger should I venture a bit further afield. All in all, I like Ruger, but I like Colt better. Freedom Arms in .45 colt in a short barrel may just be perfect, but it still does not feel like a Colt and unless your real careful, you have to carry it as a 4 shooter instead of 5 in the colt. Bottom line, I am happy with this latest choice. I like the 5.5 inch barrel as it points really naturally for me. You guys hash it out. This should be fun.
Mike Johnson,

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

There are a lot of good choices. A handloader can soup up the .44 special or .45 colt to be good enough for most anything in the lower 48. In a colt saa you shouldnt soup up a 45 colt as much as you could in a ruger. You can soup up a .44 special in the colt pretty good. In a N frame smith in .45 colt I would hold it down some compared to the ruger. The clyinder walls are thinner in the colt sa and N frames in .45 colt.
What I like about the .44 specials over the .44 mags is they are lighter and handier to pack with the one exception being a s&w mountain gun.
I have both s&ws and colt sa`s in both .44 special and .45 colt. I also have a s&w 29-2 in 5". Colt cant seem to get the clyinder dimensions quite right in the .45 colt. Unbeliveable!
My favorites are a 4 3/4" colt saa and a s&w 24-3 4", both in .44 special. The 6 guns pictured are all .44 specials.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

7 1/2 " Hands Down. It's a Personal niche, I have 2 Colt Trooper Mk 3, 1 in 22 lr and 1 in 357 both with 8 inch barrels and a S&W 29 with 11 5/8 inch barrel and My Colt SAA 44 sp 7 1/2 inch barrel.
My Brother on the other hand says He wouldn't have anything longer than 5 inch. U will get both sides of the fence. It can't be proven that one is any better than the other. If U like it , then it is better. That's My take and 7 1/2 cents.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Booger Bill

Nice set of .44s :lol:

I only have three.

The new to me Colt saa in 5 1/2 inch version
An N-Frame Smith, unfired in 3 1/2 version
and a k frame smith night guard. this one is my ccw currently when i'm not carrying my PM9. with its night sights, its also the handgun for in home, combined with the Benneli super 90 with extended mag.
Mike Johnson,

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Very nice Mike! And, among an already uncommon 2nd Gen caliber, also an uncommon length. Most I've run across are 7.5". I was very fortunate in acquiring an also very rare non-cataloged (still) "4th" gen (late 3rd) ca. 2008, 5.5" in a "discreet" (non-convertible) .44 Special. It had been custom ordered by a shop and not picked up. Lucky me--and at no premium cost! Like you, Mike, my favorite caliber in my favorite gun in my favorite length. This one's a gem that I've said many times I feel is the best quality I've seen from Colt at least since the 2nd gen. So, technically I'm all set--no complaints. However, I'm still envious as I like a gun with some history and patina, like any 2nd Gen, even if still in excellent condition or like-new for its era! Congrats again and enjoy!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 5 and 1/2" SA Colt is the best balanced gun I have ever played with. The 44 Spl. is the most versatile of all cartrdiges, including the 44 mag which in my opinion is just too heavy of a gun.

So...........nice combo there Mike :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:The 5 and 1/2" SA Colt is the best balanced gun I have ever played with. The 44 Spl. is the most versatile of all cartrdiges, including the 44 mag which in my opinion is just too heavy of a gun.

So...........nice combo there Mike :D
Ya know....I load my mags to a +P Special level, and wondered why I carrited a 52oz SBH, or 629.....I just have too much mag stuff around to switch right now....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV