Win 86's in 45-90 "black powder only" Why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Win 86's in 45-90 "black powder only" Why?

Post by kaschi »

I noticed that s/one was selling a newer production Winchester 1886 in 45-90 and the barrel was marked "black powder only". What is the reason for this? It seems to me the good old 86 should have no problem handling standard 45-90 loads. Was this to please the lawyers? Just curious!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 86's in 45-90 "black powder only" Why?

Post by Ray Newman »

At one of the SHOT Shows I asked a Browning representative about the same ‘warning’ on the Browning .40-65 WCF BPCR M1885.

His response was that since SAAMI specs are not available and/or standardized for the so-called obsolete cartridges, it is the manufacturer's attempt to preclude/limit liability from an improperly or over/under loaded cartridge with “White Powder” -- AKA Smokeless/Nitro.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What Ray say's makes lots of sense. What I do know if that I have put some mighty powerful loads through a Browning 1886 in 45-70. Your 45-90 will eat up anything easily in the "Class 2 Loads". Just be carefull going into Class 3, which is meant for the Ruger single shots. Besides, I've shot those class 3 loads and Lordy, they ain't fun and they ain't needed :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

SixGun: I know a Fool who reamed his Browning 1886 clone to accept the .45-90 cartridge. Then a few months later sent it to a gunsmith for repair as his load sprung one (or both??) locking bolts to point that it was dififcult to open/close the action. I 'dunno' what the load was or how the bolt(s) could "spring", but the action was stiff to open/close.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have been shooting my Browning .45-90 with some very serious loads and they can take anything reasonable with ease. I have fired the "Ruger Only" loads through my guns, too. They won't hurt the rifle, but could damage your shoulder. My peak loads went to 2470 FPS before they toned down to 2300 FPS. I have no idea how anyone could twist an 1886, but have my suspicions. Most like the wrong powder and serious overcharge was the culprit.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

The idea of an 1886 in 45-90 really makes me want one . The Winchester I saw was the standard rifle with 26" oct. bbl. and full mag tube, straight grip and crescent buttplate. Presently I have a Browning 86 rifle that is identical to it only (fortunately) w/out the tang safety. Also have a Browning 86 SRC as well as another Browning 86 that Turnbull turned into a 50-110 with half rd half oct bbl. So I've got several configurations. A Winchester 86 EL might just be the platform upon
which to make a 45-90! :D
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Ray Newman wrote:At one of the SHOT Shows I asked a Browning representative about the same ‘warning’ on the Browning .40-65 WCF BPCR M1885.

His response was that since SAAMI specs are not available and/or standardized for the so-called obsolete cartridges, it is the manufacturer's attempt to preclude/limit liability from an improperly or over/under loaded cartridge with “White Powder” -- AKA Smokeless/Nitro.
That is correct.

Jeff
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Mike D. the Fool I mentioned is the type of reloader who likes to push the "do not exceed" limts because he "knows" that: a) the steel in new rifles is strong; and b) to limit liability, reloading manuals tone down printed maximum loads.

Seems hard to do to a Winchester/Browning-Moroku 1886, but he did it. Just like I 'nevva' though someone could damage a Ruger Super Black Hawk until the day I saw one in the Ol' Castro Valley Gun Shop, Castro Vly, CA, with the top strap peeled back and two of the cylinder chambers blown off.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ray, I'll bet that Castro Valley Gun Shop is loooong gone. The area has grown and is no longer gun friendly. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have one of the Winkoku '86 rifles in 45-90 and even though it has the dreaded tang safety with rebounding hammer (which I plan on having taken care of), plus it's marked BP only, I've shot factory 45-70 and 45-90 through it without harm. It's well fit and I won't be getting rid of it. CRS has one too and I know he shoots white through it as well.

Old Law Dawg