71 lever problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Al
Levergunner 1.0

71 lever problem

Post by Al »

Geesh, been awhile. :cry:

Have a 71 Winchester that the lever won't stay closed unless you keep your hand in it.

I remember seeing a fix for it on the old board, but heck if I can remember what it was.

thanks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Al,

I don't really know squat about the Mdl 71s, but most lever guns have a little spring loaded plunger on the lever or some part that locks the lever closed.

If the 71 has one, check to make sure it's free to move. Lots of times they get gummed up and stick inside the hole.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The plunger is on the front of the lever. Turn the rifle upside down and watch there as the lever is closed. The plunger can be just stuck in as JM mentions, it can be worn to the point it no longer functions properly, or the plunger spring could be broke or too weak.
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

I checked, it does move freely, but I can't tell if the spring is weak or if the plunger is wore.

I take it apart later today and compare it to my Browning, but my luck, the mikour's will be all together different.

thanks.
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

I think the springs weak, I streched it some and it locks back up now, but going to have to hunt down another one.