OT: Boomerang questions for our AU members

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Boomerang questions for our AU members

Post by J Miller »

My sister in law married an AU citizen and spent several years there. Now they have a place in Arkansas, and have dual citizenship here and there.

OK, for that. At one time I'd asked her to bring me a real boomerang when she came back. I never got one. :x

So ~ would it be possible for one of you guys in Australia to acquire me one and ship it? Of course I'm willing to pay as long as it don't break the budget.

I've heard there is two kinds: One to kill, that one don't come back, and the other that's used to scare birds and it does come back.
Is that true?

Just curious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Boomerang questions for our AU members

Post by wecsoger »

I have no interest in buying a boomerang but I will delight in reading what comments get posted on this thread!

Gratuitous BTT.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I heard about an Aboriginie(spelling?) who got a boomerang for his birthday. Unfortunately, he spent the rest of his life trying to throw the old one away! :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

kaschi wrote:I heard about an Aboriginie(spelling?) who got a boomerang for his birthday. Unfortunately, he spent the rest of his life trying to throw the old one away! :lol:
Thats MY type of humor :D

On the boomerang thing, my guess is there is as much of an art of throwing it as there is the design of it.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Made one in High School , threw it and haven' seen it since. I guess it didn't work.
I would guess that if U killed something with one It wouldn't come back,that tends to stop the enertia of motion. lol jpwy
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

J Miller wrote:My sister in law married an AU citizen and spent several years there. Now they have a place in Arkansas, and have dual citizenship here and there.

OK, for that. At one time I'd asked her to bring me a real boomerang when she came back. I never got one. :x

So ~ would it be possible for one of you guys in Australia to acquire me one and ship it? Of course I'm willing to pay as long as it don't break the budget.

I've heard there is two kinds: One to kill, that one don't come back, and the other that's used to scare birds and it does come back.
Is that true?

Just curious.

Joe
A Boomerang that doesn't come back ????? Don't you call that a ...........stick?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

J Miller wrote:My sister in law married an AU citizen and spent several years there. Now they have a place in Arkansas, and have dual citizenship here and there.

Is that true?

Just curious.

Joe
Are you after an authentic handmade one; or just a mass produced one?

There are heaps of different shapes and you're correct in that the "hunting sticks" don't come back.

You could try these guys if you're after an authentic one. http://www.dreamtime.auz.net/default.asp?PageID=10

The hunting sticks I've seen are shaped like a long number 7. The top stroke of the seven is basically a spike and the bottom of the seven is the broad "wing" of the boomerang.

Waz
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If you bought an original native boomerang, you wouldn't throw it for fear of damaging it.
You could make your own.
Here are a couple of sites with instructions, and the wishhbone site also sells them, they are in LA, Cal.
http://dangerouslyfun.com/boomerang
http://www.btinternet.com/~fulton/boomerng.htm
http://whishhbone.com/construction.html
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"A Boomerang that doesn't come back ????? Don't you call that a ...........stick?"

I really must apologise in advance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prtbj4MtDU

All the best for a safe and happy Christmas

Cheers Mark
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Well, crikey !! That just reminded me that I should have two genuine hunting boomerangs around here somewhere..... I do believe the lady of the house must have tidied them up.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Joe,

Most Boomerangs that are for sale in Australia are made of ply wood and mass produced for tourists.

Boomerangs made from solid wood and made by traditional methods are hard to find and very expensive. As someone already commented, you wouldn't want to throw one of those in case it broke.

However, if you just want one to throw around in the paddock at home to try and get your technique right just send me a PM and I will be happy to pick one up from a shop in George St and send it over to you. (most likely it will be made in China)

My Brothers and I spent hours throwing them around when we were kids and it was great fun.

Pop
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Be careful, Joe. Don't knock your eye out with it. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Chas. wrote:Be careful, Joe. Don't knock your eye out with it. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was really wondering about real Australian made ones. There is no place around here for me to throw one so basically I want one for just because.
I understand about the cheaper ones, but I really don't wanna Chinese one.

Checked out and bookmarked the sites. Lots of good information. Not sure about making one at this time. Perhaps in the future.

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Joe, Some are made in Aboriginal communities along the lines of a cottage industry but these are also aimed at the tourist market. Genuine boomerangs are occasionally seen on Ebay. There are a couple up for sale now that appear to be the real thing like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australian-Abori ... 1e606f62ce

"Huge old Central Australian aboriginal hunting boomerang. Circa 1960s and collected in Tennant Creek NT. It measures a very impressive 83cm from point to point in a straight line. Is made from heavy mulga wood and has been red ochred.. A couple of native repairs with spinifex resin are also included. It shows plenty of signs of use amd would look great in any collection."

Starting bid on this one is $20 and no bids so far.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Joe
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Actually, some of the Hopi throwing sticks, used for killing rabbits, that I've seen resemble that pictured boomerang. Of course, they don't return to the thrower.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think boomerangs were invented when someone found you stood a better chance of hitting what you were aiming at if you THREW your 94 instead of shooting it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:I think boomerangs were invented when someone found you stood a better chance of hitting what you were aiming at if you THREW your 94 instead of shooting it.
:roll: ........ Well ............ ah naw I ain't gonna say nuthin

Joe
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I can't believe the responses that this thread got. A guy asks a sincere question of some our friends down under, and gets all these funny comments from us guys that are trapped in North America.....

I really appreciate the community sense of humor on this site! :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

geobru wrote:I can't believe the responses that this thread got. A guy asks a sincere question of some our friends down under, and gets all these funny comments from us guys that are trapped in North America.....

I really appreciate the community sense of humor on this site! :lol: :lol:
With this subject, turn around is fair play, Brother. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Back at cha Blaine! :twisted:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I figure it is the Aussies who are trapped. If I were down under they would probably take away 80% of my gun collection. The way I look at it there are two things down under I would just as soon avoid. Hell and Ozzieland.

As for those who canh not escape one or the other we who are relatively fortunate should pray for their salvation and redemption.
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about exporting lethal weapons to the US. The last thing I want is the AFP on my doorstep.

Waz