Blazer .45 ACP warning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Blazer .45 ACP warning

Post by olyinaz »

Buddy of mine just got a bad box of aluminum cased Blazer .45 ACP. He was shooting it in a Smith revolver and the cylinder locked up on him due to the bullets creeping forward under recoil. The shot just before the cylinder locked was almost a squib as well. The whole box has loosely seated bullets and he's returning it but I thought I'd send out a warning to check yours if you've got some or at least be careful.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Blazer .45 ACP warning

Post by don Tomás »

Thanks for the heads up!
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Correct me if I'm wrong isn't there a warning from CCI about shooting aluminum pistol caliber (40/45)rounds in revolvers? Maybe I'm thinking of the shot loads, but I remember something about aluminum cased 40's in my 646. Its a pain getting old LOL.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

medicdave wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong isn't there a warning from CCI about shooting aluminum pistol caliber (40/45)rounds in revolvers? Maybe I'm thinking of the shot loads, but I remember something about aluminum cased 40's in my 646. Its a pain getting old LOL.
I've never heard anything from CCI about that. I've fired tons of the 357 Blazer in revolvers.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JB, I think he means ACP-type ammo in revolvers. Never heard anything like that but if there is such a warning/prohibition they would do better to advertise it more.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

O.K. I didn't read his post carefully. I haven't heard of any warning about the 9mm/40/45 Blazers in revolvers, but it makes want to give CCI a call just to be sure.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

The only warning CCI/Speer gives on the Aluminum cased Blazer ammunition is to not use it in rifles. There is no recommendation about using typical semi-automatic calibers in revolvers, and no reason there should be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just bought a box of Blazer for my son to 'test out' his new Christmas gun (a Rock Island 1911 clone), because I have a bin with maybe 20-25 rounds of odds & ends rounds, but a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo I didn't want to touch. I usually buy reloadable stuff, but it was pretty pricey where I was shopping, so I settled for the Blazer. I figure he'll have to buy his own or reload his own if he shoots as much as I did at his age, but wanted to give him something to shoot today upon receiving the gift.

One of the rounds in the box was seated probably 0.15" shorter than the others, so evidently the aluminum cases don't "grab" the bullet the way brass ones do.

My Christmas gun is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 ACP, so I fired the round in it, figuring it has a pretty strong design for if the pressure was higher although there obviously wouldn't be much crimp-pressure, and the bullet is nowhere as near the rifling as in the 1911.

No problems in the Blackhawk, and none in his Rock Island, and we shot all but about 6 or 7 of that box (of 50) today. I'll be glad when we're done with them, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote:Thanks for the heads up!
+1 :D