OT WHO MAKES THE BEST QUAD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

OT WHO MAKES THE BEST QUAD

Post by barbarossa »

I ve been thinking about buying a 2009 Yamaha 550 Grizzly and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT WHO MAKES THE BEST QUAD

Post by Mac in Mo »

I don't own one, haven't owned my own for many years. My good friend has a Yamaha Grizzly, but his is the larger displacement, 750 I believe. I have ridden his pretty extensively, we use it on our property to work. It is a beast, has incredible power. Great low range gearing, four wheel drive. It is very stable on pavement or log roads at speed as well. The only thing I don't like is the shifter can be hard to move into different gears at times. I don't know if this a common problem or just something on his machine. I keep telling him he needs to upgrade so that I can buy his. Oh, his is a 2007.
This is the best utility type machine I have operated so far. In my single days, I rode three wheelers before the quads took over by government mandate. My Honda 250R was the best for the type of riding we did back then.

Kevin
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Can-Am makes the best quad. Look at any of the independent testing publications.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yamah = quality but I think you need to narrow your need down a bit for us to give you better feedback.

I had a Rhino and it was great. Good power, fast enough, handy bed and it handled well I thought. I traded it in for a Polaris Razor (Ranger RZR) because the Razor is much more sporty and a LOT faster.

It's hard to go wrong with a Yamaha anything really - they just make great stuff.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I'm by no means an expert but alot depends on what you want to do. ie pull heavy loads, cruise established trails, bush whack through swamps etc. Most newer rigs are belt drive and care must be taken to get them wet or slipage etc will cause you problems. I have an old 300 cc Suzuki quad that has 3 ranges 5 speeds each and in ultra low I can lock both differentials and not much stops it. Good old shift for yourself transmissions are hard to beat. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Best for what?
It depends greatly upon what you want.
I have a '96 Kawasaki 300 4x4 that has been fantastic. never a problem of any kind, and narrow enough and agile enough to go where I go. Some of the new machines are very large, which is fine if you are in the flatlands of Arkansas, but would not be good at all around here.

I now use the Kaw as a spray rig, with the orchard sprayer on front and a boom on back, and use a Yamaha Rhino for all my utility work around the farm.

Jeff

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

When we moved here almost 6 years ago I had never rode a quad. I am close to the best trails they say, in the united states. The piute trail syatem isnt far etc. In march of 2005 I did a little research and since we both are very large I bought the strongest and supposedly best quad out there for 2 up rideing. A bombideir 650 traxter max. Almost all rideing we have done is at high elevation in very steep country. The two of us with luggage, supplys and guns I figure we are always hauling at least 650 pounds. I usualy have more power and speed than most people we ride with. I also have a winch and plow for snow. The other day I let a neighbor plow his own driveway with it and he marveled at the power compared to his polaris. The downside is its aptly named, it handels heavy like a tractor or tank! It steers a little heavy and the shifter has always been sticky and sometimes a little hard to shift.
I havent rode all as much as I would have liked as I was pretty much laid up from surgerys two of the summers. However we have about 3,000 miles on it and the majority of them have been hard trails fully loaded in the high country. It hasnt let us down and all I have done is change a battery and just now a new set of tires. I dont know if its the best or not as I havent rode anything else, however most of the time I seem to be the leader of the pack with the people I sometimes ride with. I know now they have gotten even bigger and have power steering etc.

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Don t need one for real serious work just to get me up to my land and back on an old railway track trail(tracks are gone and turned into a trail system) dirt roads and the hill or two.Mainly going to use it for hunting and to start a food plot or two on my land for deer and to haul back the odd load of firewood.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't know who makes the best, but I have had good luck with Yamaha, and My brother in law likes Honda. I currently own a Yamaha Kodiac 400, which I purchased new in 1995, so it's getting some age on it. It's a 4 wheel drive, with a 2000lb winch on the front.

So, mine is 15 years old and still going. I use it for hunting, but I mostly use it around the farm, for feeding cattle in the wintertime, and other chores. I think it's probably on it's third battery, and probably no more then 5 spark plugs, and I installed new tires on it, a few years ago with bigger and badder lugs for added traction, of course the originals were in pretty bad shape.

All I can say is I have used it, and abused it, and put it up wet, it's whole life. It has been kept outside under the pourch roof it's whole life, pretty much in the elements, except it did have some shade most of the time. It has stayed coated in dust, mud, and chicken litter, most of the time, and I have have only serviced it, about every other years. It's had a rough life of neglect, and it still starts and runs every time, even on a zero day.

I don't know how I could ask much more of it, except I plan to keep running it for a few more years. The one thing I like about it, vs the newer quads from a lot of manufactures, is it does not have a lot of the more advanced electronical stuff on it, like the newer ones have, and as far as I am concerned that stuff is great when new, but will give my more trouble when your machine gets some age on it.

The one thing I don't like about mine is the suspension, but I get along with it. It rides rough, and is tippy on rough ground, more so then some others I have rode. So, I would say that it is a good rig for what I use it for, which is pulling heavy trailers around, and gutting the heck out of it, but it's not as good as some on the more difficult trails, when hunting. You had better know what you are doing in rough stuff, because it can be turned over, pretty easy.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Clinebo
Levergunner

Post by Clinebo »

barbarossa wrote:Don t need one for real serious work just to get me up to my land and back on an old railway track trail(tracks are gone and turned into a trail system) dirt roads and the hill or two.Mainly going to use it for hunting and to start a food plot or two on my land for deer and to haul back the odd load of firewood.
Are you in the west end of Mineral County> Montana???
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

It doesn't matter who makes the "best" one....but if you want one what will start every single time, regardless of temp., weather, age (mileage), etc., get a Honda.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

my polaris is 10 years old and had zero problems....
but I would not buy another one..because they are moving their plant
to Mexico.....I told them they lost a customer!

Please send them an email and tell them the same

grizzlies are good ones...
so is artic cat...honda
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Have 2 Arctic Cats...they're like a Timex...take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

How about a ROKON ?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I think all the companies make great ATV's now. Everyone has their favorite. An uncle of mine swears by Kawaski, a cousin says Honda is the best, I've had good luck with Suzuki. When I bought mine, I decided what size machine I was looking for, then found the dealer that would give me the best price. Our local Honda guy won't sell anything less than suggested retail, so that left him out.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

They are all great machines when they are new --- but when they get a few years old and start needing things done to them, maintenance wise, the quality of the Honda and Yamaha will shine through. I've got a Kawi now and have had a Suzi in the past --- broken bolt heads, stripped threads, poor quality fasteners throughout - questionable welds in places, cracked frames, etc. etc. etc.

Honda and Yamaha -- not so much
----- Doug
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Mine is a 2006 Arctic Cat 400. It had everything I wanted and then some. Now if I trade it would be for the new 550 with power steering.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Rus Ler
Levergunner

Post by Rus Ler »

G'day Troops,
Had a good run with Suzuki's, used every day for farm work.
Get an automatic and you won't go back - got the right gear in any terrain.
With any brand, maintainence is the key to reliability.
Cheeers,
Rus Ler
The difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys.
She who must be obeyed 2004
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have owned 6 or 7 different quad's over the past 25 years. And basically I have had good luck with all of them. I have had Honda's, Suzuki's, Polaris and Kawasaki's. The only one I did not like was a Yamaha I had that had independent rear suspension instead of a solid rear axle. I will never buy another one with independent suspension. I tihnk they are dangerous. They tend to flip faster IMO. I think the big Yamah's had independent suspension so I would check on that before I bought one. I know a few friends who have the big Bear's and the only thing they don't like is the independent suspension. So at least check that out.

I now own one of the Kawasaki Mule's. Personally I would not trade the Mule for two of any other one I haver owned in the past. It is not the fastest, nor will it perform as well in steep terrain. but for overall usage it is tough to beat.

One time I had 4 deer in the bed of the 4 wheeler, and two hunters beside myself riding on the front seat. The Mule had power to spare under those conditions. It also has a differential lock which give it great traction. It is not the prettiest, but I really believe it is the most utilitarian of them all. I have also rode in the Rhino and the Polaris utility vehicles. I like the Mule better, even though it is definitely slower than the other two. But I use mine for hunting not speed.

I am a handicapped person and the Mule is incredibly comfortable. I can sit on mine and hunt all day long. My friends modified the seat for me. And I have a permit that allows me to hunt on my Mule.

Take a look at one before you decide. Tom.