Thinking of a new levergun project - looking for opinions.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Thinking of a new levergun project - looking for opinions.

Post by shooter »

I would like to possibly scope my Marlin Guide Gun. I know that is taboo for many of you, but in some situations it would better suit my needs. Here's the thing, I don't want a scope on there all the time, as I like iron sights most of the time. I want to get the XS sight systems scout rail for the guide gun, and get a set of good removable scope rings for the scout scope.

My question is, what is a good scout scope without breaking the bank? Not looking for real cheap, but not real expensive either, and I don't have much experience with scout scopes. I know Burris and Leupold make scout scopes, but don't know about Nikon or other companies, and I was also wondering if pistol scopes would work also.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Thinking of a new levergun project - looking for opinions.

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Stellar idea! :D :mrgreen: I think Weaver still makes it's 2x Pistol scope. mine is from the 90's and really well made. It has held up to thousands 44 magnum rounds in a Ruger Redhawk I just sold. Eye relief is somewhere around 9-12", weight 7 oz. Plex reticle. You could get them (last time I looked) for around $150. I think Nikon makes a 2x handgun scope too. Of course you could buy a Leupold 2.5x scout scope for around $300 and be worry free. 8) This would be my pick if I could save a little longer for it.

I hope this helps, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have the Leupold Scout Scope....that or the Burris would be great. Cheaper might be a Bushnell Banner 1.5-5 shorty scope...I've heard that works real well on levers without being real big and out of place. Expensive would be a VXIII 1.5 x 5, 30mm, lit reticle....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

With most of us being human (I think), we each have ergonomics slightly different from each other.

Because of our differences in posture, gunhandling, and physical attributes like long or short neck and/or arms, or a thin or full face - it's best if you do a little homework before buying ANY intermediate (IER/Scout) or long (LER) eye relief scope for long gun use.

The key is to achieve a full sight picture through the scope when the rifle is first mounted into shooting position, WITHOUT consiously or unconsiously adapting our body/postiion to one that's not quite right.

1) Obtain the XS LeverScout rail.

A) The short rail will enable you to mount a Williams or Lyman receiver sight that utilizes an issue height front sight blade.
B) The long rail will require a rail-mounted peep sight from XS or New England Custom Gun - which WILL require a front sight blade MUCH higher than issue, due to the extra mounting height. The peep may also interfere with the scope's sight picture. (YMMV)

2) NOW, you should measure for the eye relief YOU personally need.

A) Take the GG w/rail, a friend, and a tape measure - and get to a gunshop or someone with an IER or LER scope.
B) Shoulder mount the GG as if you are ready to fire it, and have the friend hold whatever scope atop the rail, moving it back/forth until YOU have a full sight pic through that scope.
C) With the tape, measure the distance from the point where the rear scope lens is positioned to the pupil of your shooting eye, aka eye relief.
D) Whatever THAT eye relief measurement turns out to be (9", 10", 11" whatever) is what you need to compare to a candidate scope's spec sheet for it's eye relief "window." (Some have 9"-17", some 11"-21", some just 7 1/2", whatever).

You will shoot & handle your rifle the best with a scope that has an eye relief "window" that's compatible with YOU and YOUR RIFLE and it's scope mount - not someone else's.

Please consider that IF your optimum eye relief window is 9 1/2", a scope with an 11'-21" or 7 1/2" eye relief window will not give a full sight ppicture w/o you moving your head back/forth to adapt to the scope.

I happened to end up with a new Weaver Classic 2x28 fixed power pistol scope, after first buying/trying a Burris Scout Scope, and a Weaver Classic 2x-7x x 29 variable pistol scope - but YMMV, for sure.

conger
Levergunner

Post by conger »

Very informative discussion here.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the option of "1x" sights of the holographic or even red-dot type; they can be shot with both eyes open, are super-fast to use, and for those who are having to get away from iron sights due to less visual depth-of-field as they get older, the hologrphic sights 'project' the dot out there 100 yards or so, so you're ONLY focusing on the one plane.

Anyway, if you don't actually need the magnification, try a Burris Fastfire-II or similar sight before you spend too much money. One of them can mount on the front two scope holes of the scope-mount (using one section of a 2-piece 'weaver' rail mount), too, if you want to save the $80 or so the 'scout' mount costs...

Additionally, the holosights can often be mounted in such a manner that you can use the iron sights (by just looking through the holosight) without removing the holosight; in fact the little Burris Fastfire-II almost can serve as a 'ghost ring' sight of sorts even when off.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's how I fixed mine up. The scope is a NCStar pistol scope, cheap but has held up to full house 45-70 loads so far.

Ricky

DWWC
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Alot of people look down on Bushnell scopes but that being said; I have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 on my 444P that is very clear and bright and has held up to a bunch of stout 300gr XTP loads.
Not a scout scope but sizewise, it is a good fit for the rifle.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Ricky, that's exactly what I'm looking to do with my rifle, except with detachable mounts so I can take the scope off quickly when I want. I may have to look at the NCStar line of products. I am kind of apprehensive about going too cheap, as I haven't had very good luck with the cheap Russian or Chicom stuff. About the cheapest I wanted to go was Bushnell. I have had better luck with them than Simmons or Tasco in the past.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Leatherwood Optics - HiLux 2X7X33 Intermediate Eye Relief. Less than $150 and works great. I have had several and used one on my 45-70 with full power loads. I took a variety of S. African game out to 210 yds with the rifle/scope combo and could not have done it without the scope.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

shooter wrote:Ricky, that's exactly what I'm looking to do with my rifle, except with detachable mounts so I can take the scope off quickly when I want. I may have to look at the NCStar line of products. I am kind of apprehensive about going too cheap, as I haven't had very good luck with the cheap Russian or Chicom stuff. About the cheapest I wanted to go was Bushnell. I have had better luck with them than Simmons or Tasco in the past.
It has detachable mounts on it also. If I were buying a scope for it again I probably would not get the NCStar scope. It has not been any trouble but I find that I waiting for it to break. I've used the a Leupold scout scope before and if I had the money it would be setting on top of the Marlin.
Ricky

DWWC