Factory load for Marlin 30-30 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzzly
Levergunner

Factory load for Marlin 30-30 ?

Post by Grizzzly »

Hey guys, I just finished putting an old Marlin 336 back together that I stripped and customized. I made it a straight stock and lever. It was a junker I got from a buddy so I made it a project. Looks good I'll try to post a pic later. This is my first levergun and I am going to use it for my Adirondack hunting, short range, brush hunting. I'd like to know what loads you guys recommend for it, I'd like a heavy grain bullet !! I don't have time for reloading so I want something I can buy off the shelf or from a custom manufacturer. Also I'm going to use open sights, I want something that is quik and easy to see for those quik shots !! What are your recommendations ? Thanks, John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
Hobie

Re: Factory load for Marlin 30-30 ?

Post by Hobie »

I'd just get what you can find cheapest and try that first. 170 gr. for sure. In my rifles most all of it shoots to within an inch or so of the other.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GreenBox 170s shoot real good in my 336. After three quick shots, it does, however, start to string vert. and up. I have always understood this to be a quirk of the gun, and not the ammo. I zero for the cold shot.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i'm currently liking the 170grain winchester silver tips.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizzzly
Levergunner

Post by Grizzzly »

Thanks, guys !! How about sights ? Here's a pic of the gun, I cut and sanded stock and slenderized forearm too !! Painted all metal parts textured gray and camo'd the wood !! Not into fancy looking guns, just want them to work !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

as far as sights, I"m thinking a receiver sight is a bit faster for quick shots. but that is personal and others may find other sights. On My WWG, i have a ghost ring rear, with high visibility front, and a scout scope set up. It serves as my all purpose rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well...

Since you asked... and mind ya, I NEVER thought I'd EVER say so, but after sighting across the sights on Cimarron Red's 1892, I'm thinkin' that one of my 94 Winchester projects is going to get a fiber optic front sight inside a globe, with a tang peep. For a huntin' gun, I can't really think of something better if you're used to a 6 o'clock hold. I just couldn't really believe how fast I could pick up the front sight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

cool finish on the rifle. I like a peep...or a ghost....very fast.
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I like the Federal 170's the most, with Remington 170's the next best. XS sights are rugged and fast. I prefer a Williams Foolproof (FP) and a HiViz brand, GREEN fiber optic front sight for my hunting guns.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!