New Mossberg Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

New Mossberg Leverguns

Post by .45colt »

I Was looking around and Mossberg has the new levers on their website.a 30-30 and a .22. they don't look too bad. should be fun to see the test results when they come out.Jim.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/dcatalog ... rGuide.pdf
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

looks interesting - thanks for adding the info. I am surprised they went with the 30-30 first - I would have thought they would go after the cowboy action crowd first with pistol sized cartridges.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

mossberg

Post by joachim slim »

i cant get the link to work
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

slim,

That big .pdf file caused my computer to lock up. I had to reboot.

The rifle is a coarse copy of the Angle Eject Win 94. Right down to the tang safety and hole in the hammer spur. By the angle of the trigger I'd bet it has a rebounding hammer as well.
The top of the receiver at the side appears to be lowered some, but not as much as the AE Wins were.

I'd like to see an exploded drawing to see what the insides look like, but on the outside it's just a modified Winchester 94AE.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

mossberg

Post by joachim slim »

thanks J Miller. did they say what the price would be?
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

That tang safety is a no go for me.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I'll take a tang saftey over any button that pops in and out of the receiver. If it has to have a saftey, they did the lesser of two evils IMHO.

I like the looks. To me, most of the "cowboy" guns look alike anyway.

I hope they price them good. Mossberg has pretty good prices on most of there stuff and I am anxious to see what they do with these.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

By gosh! You can't get a receiver that looks that close to a "real" '94.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I think non safety guns are a thing of the past, unfortunately. That aside, I like it.

I've been looking at making a Marlin into one of these but have always like the carry feel of the Winchester best.

This a a fair compromise. Hope it gets good reviews, and isn't priced at $800 like a Henry.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I've got my eye on the new Henry .30-30 lever rifles, and I think you can get the blued steel round barrel ones from a gun shop for about $500 out the door once they are available in March or April. The list price is way above what a gun shop would ever charge you.

Anyway, can you guys provide some insights here about putting a scope on an AE lever rifle? I've got some top eject lever rifles, but none that have scopes, and I don't own any AE models. How does one scope these AE models? I want a rifle with a side-loading gate, like the new Mossberg's apparently have, but can I put a scope on it? Or, do the rings have to be really high up off the rifle?? I may just get the new Henry .30-30 which loads from the mag tube itself instead of a side-loading gate, so that I can put a scope on it that is down right on the top of the barrel. Your insights, please??????????
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

The .22 looks an awful lot like a Henry except, for the better front sight.The centerfire sure has a big gap between the tube and barrel .Beggars can't be choosers though . :lol: Put one on my list, right after the Little Sharps .
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Looks like tang safeties.

Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:I want a rifle with a side-loading gate, like the new Mossberg's apparently have, but can I put a scope on it? Or, do the rings have to be really high up off the rifle?? I may just get the new Henry .30-30 which loads from the mag tube itself instead of a side-loading gate, so that I can put a scope on it that is down right on the top of the barrel. Your insights, please??????????
I also like the mag tube load/unload ports, although they make for a very large mag tube diameter on the 4-somethings (larger than the barrel in diameter). I think the main issue would be how low you could go with the scope before ejecting cases hit the scope or mount and caused problems. My .44 Puma has a B-Square 'no-gunsmithing' mount and it seems plenty low enough (you can just see the sights under it so you can use them even with the mount on), and has never jammed, but that may be different with the longer-case rounds like .45-70 or .30-30.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Unusual tang setup. And the ?'s I don't know. If you want one you better not wait when they come out. Seems to me Mossberg is one of those companies that can't make a model for too long anymore before they abandon it.

Slow is just slow.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Well well well...

Look who is making a Win model 94 copy...

If I didn't already have a Winchester in .30-30, I'd be reserving one.

Pretty god looking gun, but I'd have to actually hold one in my hands to really "see" it.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I hope it ain't made in CHINA.... :roll:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have to admit I'd like to get my hands on one to see how it works and handles.

I wonder if they've changed the locking bolt?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

cas,

I do not know what your top ? points to, but I am willing to bet that the bottom ? points to a trigger-blocking safety that is tied into that little "tit" dropping out of the bottom of the reciever, just touching the top of the lever on both the .22 & .30-30 rifles.

The .22LR version sure does bear a resemblence to a modern Henry rifle. The centerfire version sure does look like a Winchester 94.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

If it's got to have a safety, us lefties would far prefer a tang safety. That's why I have a Mossy 500 for home defense.

I think the specs at the end of the catalog said the levers come drilled and tapped for scopes.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

It looks similar but different. I dont know what that thing on top is but it looks like the lower tang has a shoulder like the upper. Probably just different enough they didn't need to pay royalties or whatever.
Still, if its a decent gun & made here I'd buy it over an imported Win copy.
After all, the founder of Mossberg once worked for John Marlin! :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I had no idea they had that many types of rifles...
i really like the ultra mag shotguns
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Mossberg 9410?

Post by MacEntyre »

Is there any chance that Mossberg would make a 9410 Ranger clone? That would be right up their alley, being shotgun gurus...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That squared off looking thing on the top looks like a bridge over the receiver for a scope mount. It's the same height as the front receiver ring.

The thing behind the trigger has to be a trigger block.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yeah, bottom line is I'll probably buy one just to support American stuff, if it's actually American made.

If it's too plastic I'll probably pass. I like the 1:10 twist for the 30-30, hope they do a 1:16 44 soon..,

Grizz
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:That squared off looking thing on the top looks like a bridge over the receiver for a scope mount. It's the same height as the front receiver ring.

The thing behind the trigger has to be a trigger block.

Joe
I was coming to the same conclusion about the lump on top but cant figure why then needed to put that thing by the trigger. It might make sense if you were holding it tho.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I may not like the exact profile and features they selected for their initial offering, I'm still pleased that they are offering something to fill the void created by Winchester. I do hope they expand on that line and offer rifles vs. all carbines, as that is where my main interest lies.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There is another thing I'm curious about. If Mosberg did buy Winchesters tooling, and this rifle does look like that could be possible, will any of the parts interchange between the Winchesters and Mosberg versions?

Joe
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Mossberg did make a .22 lever. I bought one a few years back for $50 from a woman. It shoots great. Right now I can't remember if if has a safety but it is a shooter. I'll post a pic when I go home.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Since the Winchester 94 is being rereleased late this year I doubt it's a 94. It's pretty unattractive IMO.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I took all the pictures I found on the forum, blew them up, lightened them up, enhanced them as much as I can.

This Mossberg is a 94 copy. It might be a loose copy, but the lines are definitely Win 94s.
The lower tang does have some extra metal like the upper tang, and the tang safety is a big honkin affair. Much larger than Winchesters.

The screws and holes on the right side of the receiver are the same as the Win 94.
There appears to be holes on the upper rear of the left side of the receiver, but I couldn't get the picture clear enough to be positive of that.

All I will say from here on out is I wanna see one in person. After that I'll comment more.

Joe
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I am just encouraged that they are interested enough to put a "new" levergun on the market! I will certainly check one out as soon as I can!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Swampman mentioned the RErelease of the 94 this year?

Post by Billy Boy »

Swampman!
Where did you get this info?
My curiousity is piqued! Is this legitimate info of web-rumblings?
Inquiring minds want to know!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Anybody hear about pricing on these yet?

Post by Billy Boy »

???
How much?
Anybody know yet?
BB

You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i think i will be buying one if the price is right.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Ditto!
BB

Al Capone
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I heard around $799.00.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i am thinking that they should fill in the void that made winchester 94s so popular....low cost!! i know many folks bought a leveraction because it was inexpensive.

i believe that if a lever action could be offered for less than 400 it would bve unstoppable.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It's wonderful to see new levergun designs hit the market, one each from Mossberg and Henry. The Mossberg may not be quite as pretty as the 94s from a 100 years ago, but at least they are trying. The Henry appears to be made on Hepburn's (Marlin) design, and, well, at least they are trying, too. Kudos to both firms.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Dunno bout you guys but $800 could buy alot of guns I'd preffer over a new lever action. Seems ambitious.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I believe the Henry design uses a transfer bar and keeps the halfcock, why can't other companys use a similar less visually obtrusive design like this instead of a tang of cross bolt safety? Could they also design a rebounding hammer that also has a halfcock instead of an ugly button?

I give Mossberg a big round of applause for their effort though.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

GANJIRO wrote:I believe the Henry design uses a transfer bar and keeps the halfcock, why can't other companys use a similar less visually obtrusive design like this instead of a tang of cross bolt safety? Could they also design a rebounding hammer that also has a halfcock instead of an ugly button?

I give Mossberg a big round of applause for their effort though.
Your right, the Henry Big Boy's have a passive transfer bar.
I like the transfer bar idea myself. But its not an obvious enough thing to be PC I think. The idiots that worry over such things wouldn't understand. Rebounding hammers are a kinda auto half cock & IMO negate the need for a button, but again, the idiots that worry about it dont grasp the concept, they NEED to SEE a saftey for it to exist.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"i believe that if a lever action could be offered for less than 400 it would be unstoppable."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4665644

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I downloaded the 108pg catalog,it takes awhile but is worth the time.Much better pictures. If Mossberg delivers these rifles looking as good as the one in the article I think they will be a hit. they took some design of the Winchester and looks like they borrowed the round bolt from Marlin. the stock is held on with a thru-bolt from the rear. it will be fun to see how much these sell for. Jim.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/dcatalog ... Annual.pdf
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

:shock: Insulting my photos.... huff. Since they come from that PDF file... lol. :wink:

I could have made them 1680x1050 :D
Slow is just slow.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

No insult ment Cas, the pictures in John Sundras article are what I'm referring to. :) .Jim.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I'm surprised they didn't come back out with the old Marlin look alike, suppose they must of figured the 94 was all done, and wouldn't be back.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I would have thought that higher ups on the inside of the firearms industry would know what is going on at other companies, but maybe not. Apparently, Winchester model 94's are coming back, perhaps hitting the stores next year, but in any event, rumor is that the FNH factory in South Carolina has been making parts for the model 94 for a few years now. So, why did Mossberg decide to bring out a rifle that looks for all the world to be a copy of a Winchester model 94AE? And, why did Henry Repeating Arms Co. decide this year to finally make a .30-30 lever rifle? Although the Henry does not look or function like a model 94, didn't they know that Mossberg was also working on a lever .30-30,. and that it would be coming out this year? You would think they would both have known about the Winchester model 94 coming back, too. Then again, maybe there's some secret to marketing which says that if one guy is making something, you can sell a whole lot of them by coming out with the exact same thing.

Anyway, I don't like the Mossberg's, at least not what I've seen and read. I think I'll get the Henry .30-30 lever rifle, in blued steel with round barrel. Should be able to get one this spring.
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

800.oo
ill get the henry and 100.oo of ammo :lol:

oww
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Do any of these companies realize that most folks aren't going to pay pre-64 Winchester Model 94 prices for their so so products?

I passed on a nearly new early 1950s era Model 94 in .32 Special at the last gun show for $600.00. I didn't even try to get him to come down.

Henry makes a nice cheap .22. Why don't they make a nice cheap .30-30?

Marlin is still in business because they know what will sell and how much to ask for it.

The economy ain't boomin' like it was.