Best 50 Bucks I Ever Spent

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Best 50 Bucks I Ever Spent

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Guncranks,
I was at the Leesport Gunshow yesterday and could not get half of what I wanted for a 4 digit pre-war 95% Winchester Model 24 double barreled 12 ga. :( Things are the worst I have seen in my close to 40 years of playing with the old guns, so..............

I started shopping instead! :D ------for books---the things I can afford at the moment.

Anyway, This one book jumped out at me--Ken Waters book on Pet Loads. EXTREMELY informative. I highly recommend it for all guncranks that shoot any caliber. In fact, I'll go as far to say this website would not be needed for all of the information thats in there. :wink: (not really guys--take a pill and chill :D )

Its over a thousand pages---about the same size as a telephone book!

Ken thouroughly describes each cartridge, it's history, it's uses, it's limitations, it's guns and how to make brass, either professionally or in a pinch.

Here's just a bit on the 38-55---There's 4 more pages I did not photograph.

Remember, without the proper books and reference, you are "just another shooter" who depends on other people's smarts :wink: ---------Sixgun

Oh! I did run into Fordwannabe and we chatted a bit. Its nice to see other dudes from the board to swap lies!

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best 50 Bucks I Ever Spent

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thats good to know. Been gonna ask about this book but kept forgetting.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always just thought that book was a bunch of reloading tables, but it looks like there is some 'discussion' about the cartridge (at least the one you showed).

Do all the cartridges have some discussion pages like that? If so, that makes it much more useful than just a 'compilation of reloading data'.

Also - are there other sections in the book (i.e. what's the Table of Contents show)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

It is reprints of all of Ken Water's "Pet Loads" column from handloader magazine. I've even read many of the articles on cartridges that I don't load for.

I enjoy his writing style, he usually describes the rifles and handguns that he used during load development.

He also has a book out that is reprints of his answers to letters that readers of Handloader magazine wrote asking him questions.
They are both available from Wolfe Publishing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is a great book - use it all the time. But yesterday it was no help on condor loads in a Model 88 so I guess we can keep these guys. I almost always check Ken and read his stuff on any cartridge and mine isn't complete - great deal there for you Six.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
In the Table of Contents, in addition to about 170 calibers in which he thoroughly describes each, here is some more. For real, this book is fantastic. I don't mean to be a braggart, but I thought I knew a lot, but compared to Ken, I'm a novice------whoa! Its super! :D ------------Sixgun

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now you are giving me the itch. I love his writing and exchanged a couple of letters with him. In one I criticized his criticism of Jack O'Connor and he told me to call him old bull moose not old goat. In another he told me never to get rid of a 30-06 I have that I was asking him about. I would definitely like to read some of that. Mine is the 5th edition from 1990. A lot what he gives you will get nowhere else and you never know what nuggets he will come up with. And a few times he used the same model of rifle or handgun that I have. In mine he does 103 calibers with 8 updates in two volumes so yours has more than another third volume in it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great book, lots of load information and general loading and cartridge info. I use mine often.
Ricky

DWWC
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sixshooters edition is the complete volume; the original book plus all 24 supplements.

The other book that I was thinking of is " Ken Waters' Notebook - Best Wishes for Good Shooting" - 1968-1989.

Another interesting read is the two volume set by P.O. Ackley.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Ooops, sorry, sixgun not sixshooter!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It's definitely a "can't do without" book. i've had mine for several years and, like all other pertinent gun books, it is referred to often. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I got mine, which is a three ring binder type, as a Christmas gift from my wife back in 1979. Most useful loading book I have. Too bad you are getting on the bandwagon a bit late but we all know about better late than never.

My bud & I walked around the Bloomsburg show for almost three hours yesterday and the only time I reached for my money was to buy a hot dog.

So, how ya doin' Sixgun?

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Steelbanger wrote: My bud & I walked around the Bloomsburg show for almost three hours yesterday and the only time I reached for my money was to buy a hot dog.
So, how ya doin' Sixgun?
Frank
Howdy Frank!,
How was the Bloomsburg show? Gunny and I were going to come up from Leesport but I just did not feel like driving another 50 miles out of my way. How many tables? Old stuff or junk?

The gunshow season is upon us. A good gunshow just about every weekend from now 'till March. :D We will catch up. :D --------Sixgun

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I bought this book about a year ago, Sixgun. It is excellent reference material. I did find a round that wasn't included though, but I can't remember what it was. I think it was the 416 Remington Magnum. It might have been 8mm Remington Magnum though.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

didn't know about the book, but loved his articles. Thanks for the post. I just spent $37.50 to get a copy. (BEST $37.50 I will spend.) :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

8 Rem mag is there.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is one of the MUST haves.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Love it I have had one for years and it's used ragged.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool - congrats! 8)
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Dang, you guys are costing me more money! I just ordered from Amazon. I get free shipping from them so it should be here Tuesday.

Walt
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You know somethin' guys? Ken Waters must have got up in the morning and shot 24/7 X 365 for his entire life! Most us us here has experience and knowledge on a few to a couple of dozen calibers. The way he wrote this book he has experience on most of 'em.

What a life!!!! Get up----reload---shoot----buy a gun or two---eat----reload----cast bullets----write a gun article-----reload-----go to bed----wake up----reload.................. :D :D

Thats Heaven! I hope thats where I go---to that big reloading bench in the sky :D ------Sixgun

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes , A great book.
I have found lots of the data for old cartridges are using powder no longer available but there is always a couple loads that they still make components the same as Ken lists.
I find some of his loads a little hot. That may be due to changes in powders over the years.
Take care and work those loads up slowly. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... Jack, you really think readin' about a thing is the way to learn about a thing? :P :P DOING, man, DO THE THING and you'll really own the information! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've run across a few of the older volumes, but keeping putting it off to get the latest... and to date, haven't bought one yet! Congrats on a neat find!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Yep, Sixgun has got his nose buried in "Pet Loads" today. Seems I can always remember Ken Waters introduction to the 44 Mag data. Snowy evening in a restaurant in northern New England, two huge bucks on a vehicle outside and Ken looks up the owner of the car to inquire as to how the bucks met their end. As I recall it was one shot each with Ruger semi-auto carbines. Great reading. I assume you all know that these pet loads were originally printed in "Handloader" magazine.

And about the Bloom. show. Too many darn Winchesters and not enough Marlins to suit me. Seems I saw 73's, 92's, 1895's, etc. scattered throughout the two buildings which housed the show. I remember turning one tag over to check price on a 32-20 M 73 and saw $2800.00! Out of my price range for sure.

And maybe a bit much of the Turquoise jewelry, t-shirts, etc.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

BEWARE!!! That is a dangerous book. You will start reading about odd calibers and the next thing you know you willl be buying a gun in that caliber. It also takes all the fun out of reloading. When Ken states his most accurate load for a given caliber , he is usually spot on. It is by far the best reloading reference book.