Marlin 336 sight notch question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
glockcopg23
Levergunner

Marlin 336 sight notch question

Post by glockcopg23 »

What notch does the Marlin factory set the ladder sight of a 30-30 model 336 on? This is an older (1977 model) that I want to sight in with the factory iron sights and just need a good starting point for a 50 yard sight in. Right now it is on the lowest notch to make room for the scope that I'm am going to take off. Which notch is everyone else's on for a 50 yard sight in? Thanks.
Last edited by glockcopg23 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 336 sight notch question

Post by J Miller »

glockcopg23,

Welcome to the forum.

There is no factory spec on the rear sight that I know of. The only thing I can suggest is to go sight it in with the ammo of your choice and set the sight as needed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
glockcopg23
Levergunner

Post by glockcopg23 »

Thank you J Miller for the info. Anybody else?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

glockcopg23,

Here is a thought ... there was a thread where a forum member mentioned he'd heard or read that the original way was to sight them in for 100 yds on the lowest step of the rear sight elevator, and then each step up would equal 100 yards.
I honestly can not remember who made that comment or in what thread.
I've never tried that with any of my 30-30s as I figure they are good for around 200 yds max in my hands.

I'm not helping much am I? I'll quit now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

No help here.............I ash-canned ALL my rear sights on my leverguns and hunting guns, then installed receiver sights! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Go shooting and Good luck!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

What I would do is set the sight at the middle or low middle setting and fire a couple shots at a paper target say 50 to 100 yards out. If both shots are too high, lower the rear sight. If the shots are too low, then raise the rear sight.

This will at least establish a reference point to work from.

Good Luck! SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Set your sight on the lowest notch. Put a target out at a measured 25 yards--hopefully a big target, and stick on one of those shoot-and-see spots--I suggest a 2 inch one-in the center. Take a good shooting position from a bench--and a 6 o'clock hold, and fire one shot. If you're really lucky, you'll hit somewhere near, or on the sticker. If not, there'll probably be a hole in the paper somewhere. You can adjust up, down, or sideways from there. Once you start hitting that center circle with more than one shot, repeat the process at 50 yards. Why 25 yards from the bench? Because you're unlikely to miss the paper from that close, and you'll be able to determine where to start adjusting from after that first shot. I've zeroed quite a few Winnies and Marlins this way. If you start out at 50 yards or more, and your sights (back or front) are off, you may miss the paper entirely with that first shot. Over the years I've noticed that lots of new Marlins have either too high or too low of a front sight from the get-go, but that's an easy fix, and probably one that has already been taken care of long ago if you have an older, used gun.
glockcopg23
Levergunner

Post by glockcopg23 »

Thanks 4 the replies guys.