Personal firearms data saved - what about you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Markbo

Personal firearms data saved - what about you?

Post by Markbo »

In order not to step on 86ers thread, I thought I'd just start another to see if anyone here has done the same thing. I kept the same sort of data while deer hunting all over Texas & several other states for 25+ years. not as long as I have been hunting, but as long as I have kept the information. I have the caliber, load and result... not quite the detail of 86ers, but have put together some interesting information. Here is some general rifle (no handguns included) data:

With .45-70 (300gr & 405gr) & .444 Marlin (240gr only): 8 deer shot, all recovered. 1/2 fell where they stood, but 1/2 ran. A few ran WAY over 100 yards.

With a .25-06 (exclusively 115gr-117gr bullets). 3.5 deer per year average for 20+ years. No deer shot ever took more than 5 steps. No deer was ever lost. Only animal ever needing a follow up shot was a large Mouflon Ram that I messed up by hitting him too high with the first shot. Boxfuls of Coyotes and Jackrabbits killed as well.

.270 Winchester (130+140gr bullets): 5 deer per year for 2 years. EVERY deer ran a minimum of 75 yards. 3 deer required follow up shots. 2 deer were never recovered, including 1 shot in the neck at 75 yards!

.223 Remington (55 gr bullets exclusively): minimum 2 deer per year for 10 years, no deer ever required a second shot. No deer ever took a single step. No deer was ever lost.

Don't think that there are not a few misses mixed in there! :oops: FWIW my handgun data is too boring. All were shot once, all ran 35-75 yards and all were dead before they realized it. I keep handgun shots close range. What do you find most surprising about the above data?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Personal firearms data saved - what about you?

Post by awp101 »

Markbo wrote:What do you find most surprising about the above data?
The .270 and .25-06 surprise me. Never having used either I can't say what's "normal" or not.

Maybe the .270s over penetrated/under expanded?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Haven't kept track, but wish I had.
Markbo wrote: .270 Winchester (130+140gr bullets): 5 deer per year for 2 years. EVERY deer ran a minimum of 75 yards. 3 deer required follow up shots. 2 deer were never recovered, including 1 shot in the neck at 75 yards!
I'm surprised by your .270 experience as well. That's by far what I've killed most of my deer with and all but 1 were down within a few steps.

Do you remember what bullet you were using in the 270?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Markbo, do you go for neck shots with the 223 or heart lung?
Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've done the same thing for 30 years of deer hunting. I include the location, weather, firearm used, what happened after the shot, etc. Not so much for collecting data, just more of a diary.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never kept any of that type data.
Old Law Dawg
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Do you remember what bullet you were using in the 270?
I don't offhand but I will look in the morning.
RKrodle wrote:Markbo, do you go for neck shots with the 223 or heart lung?
I wondered if someone would ask. :wink: Head shots.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Markbo wrote:
deerwhacker444 wrote:Do you remember what bullet you were using in the 270?
I don't offhand but I will look in the morning.
RKrodle wrote:Markbo, do you go for neck shots with the 223 or heart lung?
I wondered if someone would ask. :wink: Head shots.
Good shooting. I took a nice buck with my 22-250 one time, we won't discuss my shot placement :oops: , but it was impressive the amount of damage a 55gr bullet stepping out around 3800 fps does.
Ricky

DWWC
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My experience with the .270 is very similar. Shooting the 130 grain Sierra in one of 2 Ruger No.1As. About half of the deer ran a long way and one 150+ class just ran away with his right front leg flopping up over his back at every bound. Didn't worry about it because the hold was right where I wanted it and just knew he would fall any second. Trailed him up and jumped him twice but never found him. Only shot 12 head with those 2 guns before I got rid of them. My old Browning Hi-wall in 30-06 has killed over 40 with nary a one lost.

When I was very young, (30 ish), I built up a 25-06 on a Springfield action with a thumbhole stock. I killed 16 with it, all one shot kills. I remember one in particular that I hit at a dead run that did about 3 cartwheels in the edge of a pond. That deer was dead and just didn't know it. The thumbhole slowed me down about half a second when getting on a target. Wing safety on the Springfield had be flipped off, then insert the thumb through the hole and by then that shot had vanished for a couple of huge heads. Bye, bye thumbhole!

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Double checked my .270 records. Hornady SST 130gr and Federal Hi-Shock in 140gr. I have 4-5 others in the ammo bin, but I chose those two because they shot really well accuracy wise. I doubt anyone could say the bullets are the problem.

I honestly think sometimes it may just be chance. I know an awful lot of hunters that swear by the 7mm mag. But I have personally witnessed more lost deer shot with that round than probably all others combined. I can't explain it... I just know what i have seen.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Your 270 results are statistically similar to my data.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Fascinating.