Beach Combination Front Sight? Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Beach Combination Front Sight? Questions

Post by Lastmohecken »

I was considering trying one on maybe my Browning 78 single shot 45/70. How do you like yours? Does the point of impact change when you flip it one way or the other? Is it spring loaded, or something, so that it won't flop around during recoil?

Where is the best source for purchasing one?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have an original on my Sharps Borchardt and it does a good job. Mine doesn't change point of impact. Mine is not spring loaded, neither does it flop around.

Buffalo Arms offers several of these sights for sale from several makers.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have Beech sights on my original 1886 and 1873 - got them direct from MVA: http://www.montanavintagearms.com/combination.html
They are not spring loaded but they don't flop around or change the point of aim. I have the blued ones but maybe the gold type would work better in hunting situations. I find for me they work best with with a Marbles tang sight but my Browning 78 does not have an upper tang and I never thought it a good idea to try to fix a tang sight on to the wood.
Perry Owens
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I can'tspeak for the repros, but I do have various brands of originals on many of my collection rifles.
Ballard, Lyman, and Beech all made them, and each is similar, but different. All of mine hve either a sprng loaded detent or a snug fit that doesn't allow movement.
The height of the post varies on some, so when it is flipped from post to globe it's not always the same height. I believe you could order them to be the same or different, depending on what your needs were.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, I guess I will do a little more looking, I may try one.