Issues with Winchester 94 Lever Safety

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Issues with Winchester 94 Lever Safety

Post by PaperPatch »

One of my Winchester's requires a tremendously firm squeeze (near death grip) on the lever in order to enable the trigger. I want to blame this for flyers and larger group sizes at the range.

Anyone else encounter this....and if so, a remedy???

I'm considering removing that particular mechanism; your thoughts and ideas are welcome. :wink:
Last edited by PaperPatch on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Issues with Winchester 94 Lever Safety

Post by J Miller »

DO NOT REMOVE THE TRIGGER BLOCK SAFETY! It's been part of the 94 design since day one in 1894.

Remedy:

Take the stock off and check to see that the spring that puts pressure on the trigger block IS NOT twisted and binding against the side of the lower tang walls. If it is use a tiny screw driver and move it till it's not touching the sides of the lower tang.
NOTE: On the early flat spring models the spring only acts as the trigger block and sear return spring, but on the later coil spring models it is also the mount for the main spring and strut. It can be twisted to the side easily.
Also check to see that the trigger block itself is not binding in the hole through the lower tang. If it is relieve the bind.
Then reassemble it and try it.
If it's still too stiff you can remove the spring and slightly bend it to reduce the tension against the trigger block.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Issues with Winchester 94 Lever Safety

Post by Griff »

I have one that is that way. However, the cause is the fit of the locking lug to the bolt. Unlike the balance of my 94s, this one isn't at full lock up until the lever is all the up against the lower tang and the safety is disengaged. It could have a different geometry on the lever to link. There are some differences in how the slots are cut in the lever for the link/lever pin to rotate around as the link drops from the frame and returns as the action is cycled.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!