TR's 1895 in "Rough Riders" [pics]

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

TR's 1895 in "Rough Riders" [pics]

Post by Gary7 »

I noticed in "Rough Riders" that the 1895 carried by Teddy Roosevelt (Tom Berenger) is not a saddle ring carbine like the other officers are carrying but what looks like a full-size sporting model. Note the Schanabel forearm and receiver mounted peep sight.

Last edited by Gary7 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Re: TR's 1895 in "Rough Riders" [pics]

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Yes it is a deluxe 1895 rifle with a lyman peep sight. John Milius (the rough riders dirrector and also,a big hunter/shooter and a NRA board member) is a big 1895 fan, and this one is his personal rifle. The real rough riders did use some '95 carbines (they could use there own guns at the time but they needed to be in the army 30-40 service round) and I think TR had a standard carbine model but gave it to one of his troopers when they ran out of Krags.If you look I think Milius was on one of the Dixie Gun Works cat. a few years ago with this rifle and told it's a 35 WCF but I can't seem to find it. Hope this helps.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Re: TR's 1895 in "Rough Riders" [pics]

Post by Gary7 »

33wcfshooter wrote:Yes it is a deluxe 1895 rifle with a lyman peep sight. John Milius (the rough riders dirrector and also,a big hunter/shooter and a NRA board member) is a big 1895 fan, and this one is his personal rifle. The real rough riders did use some '95 carbines (they could use there own guns at the time but they needed to be in the army 30-40 service round) and I think TR had a standard carbine model but gave it to one of his troopers when they ran out of Krags.If you look I think Milius was on one of the Dixie Gun Works cat. a few years ago with this rifle and told it's a 35 WCF but I can't seem to find it. Hope this helps.
I read somewhere that TR personally provided 1895s for all of his officers in the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry.