Veterans Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Veterans Day

Post by spaceman spiff »

I will be at Deer Camp on Veterans Day. As such, I would now like to
thank all of the Veterans on this forum for their service to our country.

Salute!

spaceman USA '82-'86
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Ysabel Kid

Re: Veterans Day

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Less than a week away!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I accept your thanks and sincerely appreciate your post.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

You are Welcome, Army - Aug 66 to Aug 68
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I salute all those that have served. Thanks Spiff. Semper Fi.

USMC '74-'78
Old Law Dawg
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'll be working.

USAF 2005-2008
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I am always appreciative of those who thank the Vets. I spent almost 28 years in the Navy, and really have missed it, deployments and all! However, I fully recognize that today's soldiers and sailors have a very tough road these days, and I especially am thankful for them!!!!

Walt
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I will be remembering the service of my dad and uncles in WWII and my brother in Vietnam. This year however I will especially be thinking about a great uncle that I never met. My grandfathers brother served in the U.S. Army in WWI. A recent trip to the Liberty Memorial/National WWI Museum at Kansas City led to some reaserch in their archives. There I discovered a unit history for the company he served in. There on the last page of that little 32 page booklet published in 1919 was my great uncles name. It was a very sobering moment to think about that day and those men, 92 years ago. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of November 1918 when hostilities ceased. It wasn't until 1954 that Armistice Day became Veterens Day. For all those past and present, we give thanks.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Cimarron wrote:I will be remembering the service of my dad and uncles in WWII and my brother in Vietnam. This year however I will especially be thinking about a great uncle that I never met. My grandfathers brother served in the U.S. Army in WWI. A recent trip to the Liberty Memorial/National WWI Museum at Kansas City led to some reaserch in their archives. There I discovered a unit history for the company he served in. There on the last page of that little 32 page booklet published in 1919 was my great uncles name. It was a very sobering moment to think about that day and those men, 92 years ago. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of November 1918 when hostilities ceased. It wasn't until 1954 that Armistice Day became Veterens Day. For all those past and present, we give thanks.
Interesting to think that WWI actually "ended" on October 3, 2010. The 1918 date as you mentioned was the Armistice that only ended the combat operations, but not the war.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

jeepnik wrote:Interesting to think that WWI actually "ended" on October 3, 2010.

Howzat?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Stationed in Italy, we made the four+ hour drive down to Florence (Firenze) to the military cemetery there.

My great-uncle-in-law didn't survive the Italian campaign. We found him, and it was rather interesting that the cemetery director, who was guiding a BIG (50+) person tour group from Utah, stopped, came over and assisted us (checking up) saying that those were standing orders. No one, not even the President, came before family of troops. Once he found out we knew where we were supposed to be, he continued on.

Later, coming back to the states, i met the other (surviving) great uncle. 8th AF, England, he was a B-17 mechanic. During/after/postwar he had never been able to go see his brother's grave. Nobody had. We took about 30 pics of the grave and area around it....first time for everyone. As I was about 2 weeks out of the Air Force he came over ( a WW2 vet came and thanked ME). I told him it was an honor. And considering he was USAAF, 8th AF, and I was USAF Security Forces, 31 FW/SFS/379th ESFS.....I couldn't do any less.

I've buried a lot of friends this last 10 years, but i'm glad he was finally able to see where his brother was buried.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Otto wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Interesting to think that WWI actually "ended" on October 3, 2010.

Howzat?
It ended when Germany made their last WWI war reparations payment.

http://www.tekbuz.com/the-official-end- ... ter/15981/
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Thanks to ALL of you veterans!!

Only our Union employees get Veterans Day off, we "management" have to work...

SGT - 95B, US ARMY, March 1973 - March 1976, Company A, 95th MP Battalion, 15th MP Brigade, Mannheim, Germany "The Griffin"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

MANY THANKS TO ALL THE VETS OUT THERE
AND TO THOSE WHO ARE SERVING NOW!

THANKS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS